Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we keep CMS?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed - but some people want CMS to play with Ulloa - how?

More to the point - why?

CMS whole game is based on running onto a through ball past a cack-handed defender. That gig may well have worked in League One, and will always work at any level in Scotland, but its simply not enough to hack it in the Championship, let alone the Premier League.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
CMS has suffered a serious injury and is at or nearing 30. It has been reported that he will need to learn to walk again. I would have thought it is of serious concern as to whether he is going to fully recover and be anywhere near the standard he has been in the past.

It is true CMS blows hot and cold on the goalscoring charts, but he has gone well when fresh and his goals got us to the top of the division at the start of the last two seasons. Decent strikers are hard to come by and overall he has been good for us.

His future is in the balance.

He went to the same surgeon that repaired Elphick's botched operation, so hopefully will recover as well to play again.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
More to the point - why?

CMS whole game is based on running onto a through ball past a cack-handed defender. That gig may well have worked in League One, and will always work at any level in Scotland, but its simply not enough to hack it in the Championship, let alone the Premier League.

I agree with you there, digressing slightly; I haven't been to as many games as I would have liked (for personal reasons) but in the games I have been to I have seen Mackail-Smith play five times and never once saw him score, I have seen Ulloa three times and have seen him score 6!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I don't think anyone wants 2 wingers and 2 strikers. I think 2 widemen with Ulloa in the middle is the right balance.

Agreed, we are simply not set up for two strikers and I don't think Gus was ever going to change that. Everyone should remember that in the games when CMS was still fit Gus never played them together as two front men.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed, we are simply not set up for two strikers and I don't think Gus was ever going to change that. Everyone should remember that in the games when CMS was still fit Gus never played them together as two front men.
What people should remember is Gus never even played 2 wingers, preferring to fill the team with holding players.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
This, but very little chance with the injury being so bad and no time to prove his fitness before the Window closes.

We've probably got a much better chance in the next winter window

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
We've probably got a much better chance in the next winter window

Indeed.

I feel that the introduction of Ulloa has been a major step forward with our team, and shown Poyet what he needs to give us some cutting edge. We probably need to find someone similar as back-up, but I cannot see someone like CMS being used again on a regular basis.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Indeed.

I feel that the introduction of Ulloa has been a major step forward with our team, and shown Poyet what he needs to give us some cutting edge. We probably need to find someone similar as back-up, but I cannot see someone like CMS being used again on a regular basis.

It says it all doesn't it that Ulloa was started in front of CMS in the Arsenal match despite having been with the side for a very short while.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It says it all doesn't it that Ulloa was started in front of CMS in the Arsenal match despite having been with the side for a very short while.

It does, but Poyet had the luxury of knowing that Ulloa was an outstanding player - something that CMS can never be at above League 1 level.

I must confess that every time I see Ulloa, he gets better, no doubt as he learns the English game.

As a big fan of attacking football who became addicted to Brighton watching Peter Ward, then was delighted by the skills of Bobby Zamora in our dark days, I get the feeling we finally have the star striker we have all craved since Bobby left for Spurs. I just hope that we can hang on to him for a few years.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It does, but Poyet had the luxury of knowing that Ulloa was an outstanding player - something that CMS can never be at above League 1 level.

I must confess that every time I see Ulloa, he gets better, no doubt as he learns the English game.

As a big fan of attacking football who became addicted to Brighton watching Peter Ward, then was delighted by the skills of Bobby Zamora in our dark days, I get the feeling we finally have the star striker we have all craved since Bobby left for Spurs. I just hope that we can hang on to him for a few years.

Definetly, if he keeps up this form and stays for the best years of his career he could be featured alongside Kuipers, Zamora and co outside the west stand one day!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
More to the point - why?

Yep agree he is a 1-trick pony with the ball control of a buffoon

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think anyone wants 2 wingers and 2 strikers. I think 2 widemen with Ulloa in the middle is the right balance.

Some do, not me.

Those that do, fail to see the importance in football now of winning the CM battle with 3 in there, or a 'no10' type who can muck in and tackle.

Gus has got it well sorted now with the classy Ulloa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here