Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we keep CMS?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Can't see him pulling on an Albion shirt ever again IMHO !
Off to Leeds Utd maybe .

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
We are simply not going to get 4 striker of Ulloa's quality. (4 being the amount I would we would have in an ideal squad.) So having a player as 'good' as CMS as a back up striker is fine with me. He can score the odd goal and would replace Ulloa when he is injured.

I also think we need different types of strikers in our squad. Having 4 tall, not too quick, good with their head strikers wouldn't work. If Gus makes a change, he needs options on the bench and not just like for like. CMS and Ulloa couldn't be more different IMO. All the great squads have the complete spectrum of strikers. Take United. RVP being the goal machine that is tall and talented, but not the quickest in the world. (Sound similar?) Rooney the quicker more aggressive player who can player deeper and help link up. Hernandez, pure pace and knows where the goal is. Welbeck the young, up and coming striker.

I am not saying we are ever going to have a squad as deep and as talented as United. But I think having that range of skills is key.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
We are simply not going to get 4 striker of Ulloa's quality. (4 being the amount I would we would have in an ideal squad.) So having a player as 'good' as CMS as a back up striker is fine with me. He can score the odd goal and would replace Ulloa when he is injured.

I also think we need different types of strikers in our squad. Having 4 tall, not too quick, good with their head strikers wouldn't work. If Gus makes a change, he needs options on the bench and not just like for like. CMS and Ulloa couldn't be more different IMO. All the great squads have the complete spectrum of strikers. Take United. RVP being the goal machine that is tall and talented, but not the quickest in the world. (Sound similar?) Rooney the quicker more aggressive player who can player deeper and help link up. Hernandez, pure pace and knows where the goal is. Welbeck the young, up and coming striker.

I am not saying we are ever going to have a squad as deep and as talented as United. But I think having that range of skills is key.

This! I think we need a CMS-esque man in our squad, just one a bit more talented!

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
Until Ulloa arrived all our hopes were pinned upon this man to fire us into the play-offs. However, I would say 11 goals is quite a disapointing return for our 'star striker' and this begs the question: Does he deserve another chance next season? Don't get me wrong, I like and respect the guy and thank him for the occasional moments of magic e.g. Overhead kick at Burnley, but is it a case of him not being good enough for the team or just not fitting into our style? With Ulloa, you get the feeling everytime he has the ball something could happen whether by himself or assisting another player but with Craig I just never felt that. In my opinion, I think it's time to let him go and use the money to get another partner for Ulloa, more suited to our style but thats only my opinion, post yours below...

Unfortunately we probably will not get alot for him,2 years older with poor goal record at this level

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot understand all the slating of CMS when he was playing he scored 10 goals in half a season. Every team wants a a 20 goal a season striker so he was on course for that plus bringing in Ulloa would haver helped him but silly man got himself injured. This is giving NSC the opportunity to slate him for no good reason..

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I cannot understand all the slating of CMS when he was playing he scored 10 goals in half a season. Every team wants a a 20 goal a season striker so he was on course for that plus bringing in Ulloa would haver helped him but silly man got himself injured. This is giving NSC the opportunity to slate him for no good reason..

Wasn't he on a 13-odd game scoreless run much like last season, even if he was fit he wouldn't have scored more than 2 in 15-games .. best get rid has has flattered to deceive and isn't champ material

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

Agree his was on fire at the start of this season and quite a few on here at that time were saying we didn't need a striker/forward player.

I actually think he come back a better player next season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have to agree, would rather we kept Hoskins

This.

Now we have Ulloa, it seems a large majority are gently admitting that CMS simply isn't talented enough to be a PL / top half of Championship regular goal scorer.

He's been given many starts, whereas unlucky Hoskins hasn't. There is something about Hoskins eg pace and directness on goal, that indicates he could come good.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

No don't get me wrong I appreciate the work he has done for us but at the end of the day he was our main man, the one who Should be getting the 20 goals a season. It was the other lads, Barnes etc who are the ones supposed to throwing in the 10 extra goals. Plus it wasn't half a season, more like three-quarters of it.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

CMS had 11 goals in half a season,as well as being injured for a 5 week period in this time. BUt the difference between CMS and Ulloa is IMO 'Dave'. Poyet didn't bring Dave into the team until we had a spot at right back in December, Gus had a diamond in his squad and didn't see it, persisted others. Take Dave out and Ulloa will not get what he is getting. The Key to our play off aspirations is Dave, CMS would score a packet with Dave supplying and so will Ulloa, keep CMS, keep Dave and play them both with Ulloa!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
CMS had 11 goals in half a season,as well as being injured for a 5 week period in this time. BUt the difference between CMS and Ulloa is IMO 'Dave'. Poyet didn't bring Dave into the team until we had a spot at right back in December, Gus had a diamond in his squad and didn't see it, persisted others. Take Dave out and Ulloa will not get what he is getting. The Key to our play off aspirations is Dave, CMS would score a packet with Dave supplying and so will Ulloa, keep CMS, keep Dave and play them both with Ulloa!

Wishful thinking.

Conversion rate of chances - Ulloa must be light years ahead of CMS.

And Ulloa has a great first touch, and awareness of team mates.

Simply put, Ulloa's a far more talented and accomplished player. CMS has done well and worked bloody hard to make the most of his career.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was Spanish Dave who missed it I think, hate to say it but a good save from Speroni
No deffo Buckley, not really that good a save either.

He hit it with his right towards the middle of the goal, where Speroni already was.

Had he hit, the sharp chance with little time for thought, with his left, Serponi would have been unsighted by the defender.

Not that I'm complaining, of course.

Ulloa

Banned
Feb 3, 2013
I did forget to put that in my initial post, I agree we can't fault his efforts, he gave it his all just didn't work for our system. Hope it all works out for him at another club more suited to his style.

He isn't going anywhere. The system should change for him not the other way round. Gus has told him that we'd build a team around him but we've done the opposite. No one can blame CMS but Poyet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wishful thinking.

Conversion rate of chances - Ulloa must be light years ahead of CMS.

And Ulloa has a great first touch, and awareness of team mates.

Simply put, Ulloa's a far more talented and accomplished player. CMS has done well and worked bloody hard to make the most of his career.
Fingers crossed Ulloa is as good when playing with 2 holding midfielders, an out of sorts right winger, a defensive holding petulant left winger, and a guy who's yet to adapt his exceptional talents to English second tier football.

Oh and for the record I think he will be.
He's clearly Gus' man and has the skills to back it up.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here