Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will we keep CMS?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
CMS cannot be faulted for effort, endeavour, hard work, loyalty, perseverance, and any other number of virtues BUT he is not a good enough footballer for where we are going. I suspect he will be let go for a song and live out his twilight years scoring for fun in the lower divisions.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
We are simply not going to get 4 striker of Ulloa's quality. (4 being the amount I would we would have in an ideal squad.) So having a player as 'good' as CMS as a back up striker is fine with me. He can score the odd goal and would replace Ulloa when he is injured.

I also think we need different types of strikers in our squad. Having 4 tall, not too quick, good with their head strikers wouldn't work. If Gus makes a change, he needs options on the bench and not just like for like. CMS and Ulloa couldn't be more different IMO. All the great squads have the complete spectrum of strikers. Take United. RVP being the goal machine that is tall and talented, but not the quickest in the world. (Sound similar?) Rooney the quicker more aggressive player who can player deeper and help link up. Hernandez, pure pace and knows where the goal is. Welbeck the young, up and coming striker.

I am not saying we are ever going to have a squad as deep and as talented as United. But I think having that range of skills is key.

Good points.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I don't think CMS has the football intelligence to play in our team, not with our style anyway. I just hope that someone comes in and offers us £1.5m as I believe that's a fair price.

1.5million are you sure the bloke cant play football. Not much of a market for a nice bloke that can run a long way.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
one question and one question only. would Ulloa have scored in the last minute against Burnley when we were down to 10 men. That's the difference imo between CMS an Ulloa.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
CMS cannot be faulted for effort, endeavour, hard work, loyalty, perseverance, and any other number of virtues BUT he is not a good enough footballer for where we are going. I suspect he will be let go for a song and live out his twilight years scoring for fun in the lower divisions.

Agree with this. I just wish that certain people would stop worshipping the guy. He is not good enough at this level and never has been. Has been weak link in the team all season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd like to see CMS playing with Ulloa, he'd pull defenders off Leo

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
one question and one question only. would Ulloa have scored in the last minute against Burnley when we were down to 10 men. That's the difference imo between CMS an Ulloa.

Who knows but Leo missed an easier chance against Burnley ( I think it was them when he spooned the ball when it was easier to score) this season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Agreed - but some people want CMS to play with Ulloa - how?

Simple how did Buckley play with Ulloa against Forest 2nd half, as a 2nd striker just behind or in front of Ullioa for the knock backs /ons and then use his speed to get past players which is exactly what Buckley did.

so the line up as it stands would be:

Kuszczak

Bruno/Calderon Greer Upson Bridge
Bridcutt

Lopez Hammond Orlandi

Buckley/CMS
Ulloa

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't see him pulling on an Albion shirt ever again IMHO !
Off to Leeds Utd maybe .

He won't be fully fit until September at the earliest, he has still got another year on his contract with us. If he's fit and playing, then we may sell him to Leeds or similar next January.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He won't be fully fit until September at the earliest, he has still got another year on his contract with us. If he's fit and playing, then we may sell him to Leeds or similar next January.

If we don't make it to the Prem I'm hopeing he goes to Norwich (provided they stay up), I don't think I could take him scoring against us!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you was a central defender would you want to be battered by Ulloa for 65 minutes supported by either Buckley or CMS and then one of those go off to be replaced by the other to run at you. I dont think that many would.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
If you was a central defender would you want to be battered by Ulloa for 65 minutes supported by either Buckley or CMS and then one of those go off to be replaced by the other to run at you. I dont think that many would.

True, but the question is does CMS have the kind of quality for the job that Len and Buckley obviously have?

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
CMS will stay, have one season to hit it off with Ulloa. If that fails then I can see him leaving the club.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
CMS has suffered a serious injury and is at or nearing 30. It has been reported that he will need to learn to walk again. I would have thought it is of serious concern as to whether he is going to fully recover and be anywhere near the standard he has been in the past.

It is true CMS blows hot and cold on the goalscoring charts, but he has gone well when fresh and his goals got us to the top of the division at the start of the last two seasons. Decent strikers are hard to come by and overall he has been good for us.

His future is in the balance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here