Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we be signing a DECENT striker on loan or permanent before the window closes?

Will we be signing a decent new striker by the time the window closes?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And this is why everyone needs to relax in the knowledge we will sign a striker.

- Tony is a clever man

- The need is obvious

What is the most likely outcome ?

The same as last January is my guess, we have some very stubborn people running the club. Not a complaint just an observation. Whatever the outcome it beats going to Gillingham every other week

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The same as last January is my guess, we have some very stubborn people running the club. Not a complaint just an observation. Whatever the outcome it beats going to Gillingham every other week
I can't really remember the last January window, but I don't believe our need for a striker was so acute and obvious ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can't really remember the last January window, but I don't believe our need for a striker was so acute and obvious ?

Well we did have the binned Andone and Locadia, so you may be right. But they were binned without replacements in August. We have had months to get someone lined up. However Potter is happy with what he has so no need to spend money unecessarily.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you'd told me before the start of the season Andone and Locadia would be gone and we'd be reliant on Maupay, 36 year old Murray and teenager Connolly I would not have fancied our chances of survival. So... here we are.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well we did have the binned Andone and Locadia, so you may be right. But they were binned without replacements in August. We have had months to get someone lined up. However Potter is happy with what he has so no need to spend money unecessarily.

We must have the only manager in the history of football who is happy with what he has got... he shouldn't be...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If you'd told me before the start of the season Andone and Locadia would be gone and we'd be reliant on Maupay, 36 year old Murray and teenager Connolly I would not have fancied our chances of survival. So... here we are.

You're in luck - it was Connolly's birthday yesterday!

drummerboy10

Apr 18, 2012

This.

I understand it's not an easy transfer market in January, but we're riding our luck at the moment. If Maupay did get injured/suspended we'd be in big trouble.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We must have the only manager in the history of football who is happy with what he has got... he shouldn't be...

More likely he’s been told he’s not getting anyone, so he’s had the choice to publicly back that decision or publicly show anger about it.

I‘ve never seen him be angry.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

He's got a 6 year contract, of course he's happy with what he's got. Can't see him rocking the boat too much, he knows which side his bread is buttered.

Its the same old same old anyway, they ALL say the same. Guess who, 12 months ago:

"I'm delighted. I can tell you that if I felt we needed to do something I would have been pushing. For us, it's very much making sure we stay in this division and come the end of today (January 31), there are no more possibilities for us to bring anybody in.

I'd have been pushing very hard if I felt we needed. But what we've got and the level of competition, I think we're covered in every area. We've been fortunate on the injury front and the internationals who have been away are back now.

We're close to a full squad and a full squad means a competitive squad. With Suttner and Schellotto going out on loan, which were right decisions for both parties, it allows some of our under-23s to train with us more regularly or occasionally. We've seen that more with Sanders and Gyorkeres but we've got an under-23 squad who have acquitted themselves very well. If it leaves them openings, it's good for their development and good for the club."

:rolleyes:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The club needs a lift after a miserable few weeks. Plenty of fans are fed up of watching our rivals go big in the transfer market and fed up of watching our rivals pick up points. Palace continue to grind results with a clever short term loan signing getting them the goals. We’ve got to put up with Villa getting to the League cup final, even the u23’s and women’s team are losing.

Mooy was going to be here anyway so I don’t really think that did it.

A big performance and a result at West Ham would be enough to lift the gloom, but no incomings and a poor result at the weekend ….. urrggh don’t know if I can take it

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
He's got a 6 year contract, of course he's happy with what he's got. Can't see him rocking the boat too much, he knows which side his bread is buttered.

Its the same old same old anyway, they ALL say the same. Guess who, 12 months ago:

"I'm delighted. I can tell you that if I felt we needed to do something I would have been pushing. For us, it's very much making sure we stay in this division and come the end of today (January 31), there are no more possibilities for us to bring anybody in.

I'd have been pushing very hard if I felt we needed. But what we've got and the level of competition, I think we're covered in every area. We've been fortunate on the injury front and the internationals who have been away are back now.

We're close to a full squad and a full squad means a competitive squad. With Suttner and Schellotto going out on loan, which were right decisions for both parties, it allows some of our under-23s to train with us more regularly or occasionally. We've seen that more with Sanders and Gyorkeres but we've got an under-23 squad who have acquitted themselves very well. If it leaves them openings, it's good for their development and good for the club."

:rolleyes:

The thing is, back then we were in a decent position, mid table. It makes it much easier to attract a player when you’re 10 or however many points clear of the drop zone. Much harder when your right in the mire. We had an excellent chance to improve from a position of strength. Didn’t take it.

The lack of activity is difficult to take now, it was inexcusable then.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The thing is, back then we were in a decent position, mid table. It makes it much easier to attract a player when you’re 10 or however many points clear of the drop zone. Much harder when your right in the mire. We had an excellent chance to improve from a position of strength. Didn’t take it.

The lack of activity is difficult to take now, it was inexcusable then.

Fair point, although by this stage last year the wheels had started properly wobbling. I'd say given our position now, its even more inexcusable now if we fail to strengthen.

We looked dangerously light at the end of August after binning off 2 strikers with nobody coming in to replace them. If we do end up going down, then we'll have nobody but ourselves to blame. We are running this very, very tight.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we go down without strengthening then we will be a fair bit of venom spouted about and it will make our top ten ambitions look like hollow talk.

Unfortunately , you can mostly pick the premier league table on money spent so if you want top half then you need to spend top half.

I voted no. I think part of Potter coming in was to work with what he has and this relates to finance as much as anything.

To be honest our recruitment since we came up hasnt been top notch anyway so even if we got someone whos to say it will work.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Fair point, although by this stage last year the wheels had started properly wobbling. I'd say given our position now, its even more inexcusable now if we fail to strengthen.

We looked dangerously light at the end of August after binning off 2 strikers with nobody coming in to replace them. If we do end up going down, then we'll have nobody but ourselves to blame. We are running this very, very tight.

West Ham away …… Twang!!!! goes Maupay’s hammy. Creak!!! Goes the sound of Muzzas knees as he rises from the bench.

The next audible sound is 2000 Albion fans heads going into their hands, before getting their phones out to see what odds remain on us being relegated.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You're in luck - it was Connolly's birthday yesterday!

But before the start of the season he was a teenager. I didn't think he was f*cking Peter Pan!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If we go down without strengthening then we will be a fair bit of venom spouted about and it will make our top ten ambitions look like hollow talk.

Unfortunately , you can mostly pick the premier league table on money spent so if you want top half then you need to spend top half.

I voted no. I think part of Potter coming in was to work with what he has and this relates to finance as much as anything.

To be honest our recruitment since we came up hasnt been top notch anyway so even if we got someone whos to say it will work.

Our hit to miss ratio for the money spent stacks up with most clubs in the division if you ask me.

I just think we need to get over this, we don’t buy players in January thing. I mean, I get it as a general principle, but given we shipped out 3 senior forward players towards the end of the last window, I would say an exception could be made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here