Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we be signing a DECENT striker on loan or permanent before the window closes?

Will we be signing a decent new striker by the time the window closes?

• Total voters

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
No, I don't think we will but I don't think we need to. We haven't used Glenn Murray all season, so he's fresh as a daisy and ready to play games and score goals.

Potter is the right man for the job, but he needs to utilise the whole squad he has right now. He probably would prefer to have fewer players in total and maybe a different balance of the talent he has, but that's for the summer window to correct. For now, he needs to start using our deadliest striker for the benefit of the team. Get through this season and then use the next transfer window to bin off the players he doesn't fancy and get in a few more of the ones he does.

Murray is a genuine club legend. But we need someone to support Maupay and bring others into play, which Murray can do. But that player also needs to be able to press and hurry defenders and be up with Maupay, able to feed him and feed off him. Murray cannot do that. We need someone who does all the things Murray can do but also fits in with the way we play now.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I agree, Bridge and Upson were inspired acquisitions. Class players, albeit playing at a lower level than previously.

Lets not forget he signed Bruno, Calderon, Orlandi, Lopez,Kuszack, Ulloa and Kishishev great players for this club, he had more control over signings I think, than Hughton and Potter.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lets not forget he signed Bruno, Calderon, Orlandi, Lopez,Kuszack, Ulloa and Kishishev great players for this club.
Lopez on transfer deadline day as well - the NSC of today would already have chucked in the towel by that point.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe the stage is set for Glenn Murray to come back in, score a hatful and prove everyone who doubted him wrong and make it into the England squad for the Euros with all the injuries going on? At which point he fires us to glory and retires.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Lopez on transfer deadline day as well - the NSC of today would already have chucked in the towel by that point.
I dont know but I bet he wasnt the only signing in that window?

Edit: I have just checked and he was one of eight great signings he made in that window.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's got to be one of the quietist windows for rumours.
Seen very few on here. I am fed up with going on to BBC rumours and Sky Sports Transfer centre doing CTRL F Brighton and getting nothing. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seen very few on here. I am fed up with going on to BBC rumours and Sky Sports Transfer centre doing CTRL F Brighton and getting nothing. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

It seems EVERY player that we ARE linked to is also linked to Newcastle and Villa, so before you can get your teeth into a rumour you already know we are out of the running :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I dont konw but I bet he wasnt the only signing in that window?
He wasn't - my memory isn't 100% but I think we got Dean "the one we'd all been waiting for" Hammond, and Dobbie on the same day. I think Orlandi was a day or 2 before - but there was a bit of a kerfuffle because it had been leaked by some media connected to the league before the club actually announced it.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don’t want Poyet back but I do yearn for another manager who can convince super star players to come here on the cheap with his charisma.

Bridge and Vicente being prime examples, we haven’t come close to it since he left have we?

I am little surprised that we can’t manage it with the way GP wants to play football, I imagine quite a few decent players, out of favour at bigger clubs, would love playing our style of football.

I think Bridge may be the last player we signed who the majority of the fan base had actually heard of before we were linked with him

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Nothing from the club has indicated that we are even looking for a striker so I can’t see anything happening at all.

We all appear to think the club are desperately scouring europe for new additions but GP seems happy with what he has so I can’t see it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Apart from reporting the signing of Mooy, I don't think SSN or Talksport have mentioned Brighton in any of the talk during this window - I certainly haven't heard us mentioned.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Nothing from the club has indicated that we are even looking for a striker so I can’t see anything happening at all.

We all appear to think the club are desperately scouring europe for new additions but GP seems happy with what he has so I can’t see it.

I love this comment that GP is happy with what he has got, which is exactly the same comment Hughton used last January. This now seems more like a club statement than what the managers really feel. Do you honestly believe any manager in the Premier League would not take the chance to strengthen, let alone one fighting relegation. It just doesn't make sense. Now if they came out and said we simply cant afford to strengthen then thats a different story and one fans could understand and live with.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Murray is a genuine club legend. But we need someone to support Maupay and bring others into play, which Murray can do. But that player also needs to be able to press and hurry defenders and be up with Maupay, able to feed him and feed off him. Murray cannot do that. We need someone who does all the things Murray can do but also fits in with the way we play now.

Then we need to amend the way we play to get the best out of the players we have available. We have Glenn Murray available to give us something we don't currently have, we can adapt to thrive. Or stubbornly ignore the man and keep struggling to score the goals we need.

As fresh as a blatantly past it daisy

Tales of his demise are greatly exaggerated. He'll weigh in with 5-10 goals between now and the end of the season if he's given a similar volume of chances that Maupay has.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Until we get the annual gloomy Barber interview in the argus, I reckon a signing is still very possible.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
Then we need to amend the way we play to get the best out of the players we have available. We have Glenn Murray available to give us something we don't currently have, we can adapt to thrive. Or stubbornly ignore the man and keep struggling to score the goals we need.

Sorry but I don't agree. The club brought Potter and his team in with a very clear philosophy to give the club an identity and vision for the future. Potter even brought his recruitment guy with him to the club because he knows what Potter needs to be successful. The club further cemented that commitment by giving him a new 6 year deal. The club now needs to back him with players that fit that philosophy and style. We cant make a statement of intent to commit to Potter and then tell him to change style and only use what is currently available. We are a Premier League club now, not a League One side that has to make do.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Tales of his demise are greatly exaggerated. He'll weigh in with 5-10 goals between now and the end of the season if he's given a similar volume of chances that Maupay has.[/QUOTE said:
Question 1 Who is the next oldest striker to Muzza regularly playing in the Premier League?
Question 2 How old is he?
Question 3 How many regular strikers are there over 30 years in total in the Premier League?
Question 4 Why do you think there are so few?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The only change from last January being the year it’s dated

And he probably needs to remember to change "I fully expect Chris's players to keep well clear of relegation without further signings" to "I fully expect Graham's players to keep well clear of relegation without further signings"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here