Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will the crowd be patient tomorrow?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reminds me of the Withdean days under Poyet, when there were shouts to launch it long rather than passing about at the back. Of course if the ball was launched long and we lost possession the same moaner would then shout even louder that they should have kept possession.

Some people just seem to moan at everything. We could win 5-0 tomorrow, and they would still be moaning about a missed chance for a 6th.
To be fair to Poyet, he was trying to undo everything that El-Abd and T.Elphick had been drilled into them since the year dot. So we were treated to a sequence of maybe 7 or 8 nervous passes between the two. To YOU Tommy! To YOU Adam! This sequence went on until the invariable back-pass to Ankergren - who would then proceed to aimlessly hoof the ball upfield :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Me too. Sometimes in awe at the way we play it at the back then suddenly find that release ball.

It's even better when it includes a couple of really late passes when being closed at speed, maybe a dummy from the final defender or keeper, and 3 or 4 very quick one touch sequences.

There's hardly time to breathe out from the last 10 seconds of nervously holding your breath to cheer the breakaway. Now THAT's entertainment :albion2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair to Poyet, he was trying to undo everything that El-Abd and T.Elphick had been drilled into them since the year dot. So we were treated to a sequence of maybe 7 or 8 nervous passes between the two. To YOU Tommy! To YOU Adam! This sequence went on until the invariable back-pass to Ankergren - who would then proceed to aimlessly hoof the ball upfield :lolol:
I can remember Ankergren keeping the ball at Withdean and an opposition player whinging to the referee, that he was time wasting. The ref laughed and said, the ball is in play. If you want the ball, go and tackle him.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I don’t remember the keepers last Season standing still with the ball for 5 to 10 seconds as witnessed in the Bournemouth match and on Thursday

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Reminds me of the Withdean days under Poyet, when there were shouts to launch it long rather than passing about at the back. Of course if the ball was launched long and we lost possession the same moaner would then shout even louder that they should have kept possession.

Some people just seem to moan at everything. We could win 5-0 tomorrow, and they would still be moaning about a missed chance for a 6th.
No, rather than any fans, a 5-0 win that should have been 6 would be more likely make RDZ, the perfectionist, moan.👍

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Will the crowd be patient?
Haven’t a clue, but tension will abound I am sure of that, in the team and the fans. A steady performance and a point would be a result I reckon.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Nearly all of crowd appreciate how we now play out from the back. I just felt in that game some were frustrated keepers player awareness was not as good or quick as Steele and missed several chances to pass to full back especially Veltman. Because of delay most of time just ended hitting long ball to Fergurson

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Now that opponents have a strategy when our keeper has the ball at his feet will the crowd get on the back of the team if Jason/Bart delays passing for 10-20 seconds?

Against Bournemouth The Bloke Behind Me (TBBM) was screaming for it to be ‘launched’ and the North Stand was clearly grumpy too.

Will the reaction be the same against Liverpool?

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
I don’t think it’s really the same as the old “just launch it” mentality - to me, people were voicing frustration that we didn’t have an effective answer to the opposition tactics. Might well be wrong, but I do think most of us get the basic idea. TBBM is kind of universal in football and probably always has been, but maybe not really representative at the moment (unlike in some previous Albion incarnations).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The North Stand is supposed to be our main singing/ supporting stand. It's almost inconceivable that some of them have not yet grasped how we play. When we tease the opposition with the keeper creeping up the pitch, the fans should be loving it, not moaning. They should devise a chant/buzz/sound to reflect the anticipation and instil fear in the opposition of what's coming to them, not damage our own keeper's confidence by grizzling like Albion illiterate babies.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
The North Stand is supposed to be our main singing/ supporting stand. It's almost inconceivable that some of them have not yet grasped how we play. When we tease the opposition with the keeper creeping up the pitch, the fans should be loving it, not moaning. They should devise a chant/buzz/sound to reflect the anticipation and instil fear in the opposition of what's coming to them, not damage our own keeper's confidence by grizzling like Albion illiterate babies.
Well said

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here