Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the AMEX be EXTENDED if we go UP ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Its not possible to expand the Amex any further. There is no room for 2nd tiers or upper concourses in the north or south stands, it was never designed with that in mind. Those arches are deeply embedded underground in concrete thrust blocks, they counter-balance each other to hold the entire roof in place, all the way around. The roofs cannot be raised any further to accommodate additional tiers.

What you see is what you get folks. It can't be expanded any further.

If the stadium can't go up, then shirley the only logical solution is to go down.

After Derby, once the pitch has been removed and before the new one is laid, all Barber has to do is dig down a stands worth.
Hollow out the seating and concourse then relay the new pitch.

Bish bosh job done.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
If the stadium can't go up, then shirley the only logical solution is to go down.

After Derby, once the pitch has been removed and before the new one is laid, all Barber has to do is dig down a stands worth.

Bish bosh job done.

Ingenious, that could be the future for ground improvements!

Kellie

Aug 11, 2014
[MENTION=29916]Kellie[/MENTION] was on the one show this evening. She never mentioned Ernest or his sausage once.

Indeed the great Kellie was, I waited for referencing that sausage but alas nothing was mentioned.

Wow boys, what a night!, The One Show and then all that came after, some men do know how to show a girl a good time. You saw the show and well, mentioning no names but I feel slightly jaded this morning, talk about not being able to stop a pig in a passage.....

As regards Ernie and the chipolata, well, I've moved on and put all that behind me now. I dont know why I fell for his corny old chat up lines. I certainly did not realise that he could only get it on if Brighton were winning or he was close to his beloved railway. I never liked doing it in the ladies during the game even if the roar of the crowd spurred him on and there was no way I was doing it after the match on the train back to Brighton, no matter how crowded they were. Anyway, all that smelly sticky HP sauce getting everywhere and staining up my lingerie? No thanks.

Could the AMEX have another STAND built in time for next season on top of the NORTH or south to cope with the DEMAND for tickets in the PREMIER ? Or could the EAST go UPWARDS with another TEAR on top ?

Surely Barber can get this sorted in time for August otherwise there will be 50k LOCKED out at each match.

As you are always threatening to swing naked from the rafters you could do that with a few like minded individuals and give up your seats to some JCLs.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Bish bosh job done.

Barcelona did exactly that with the Nou Camp for the 1982 World Cup, adding a lower tier all the way round.

Whether that's feasible at the Amex, mmm, I dunno. The stadium footprint obviously isn't as large as the Nou Camp. We're pretty close to the pitch as it is.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm only guessing but going down is probably no more feasible than anything else. As I recall, a major expense involved in building the Amex in the first place (that many other grounds simply didn't have) was the cost of removing and relocating the top of a whacking great downland area so that the stadium could nestle in keeping with the area rather than sitting on top of it, thus provoking claims of it being an eyesore.

So the cost of digging down another 15 metres, and then back under the existing stands to create a lower tier, and with erecting steel girders to support the existing structure would be absolutely insane. And what for? To allow another 7-8,000 fans to watch, about 3 times a season?

Nah. IMO, the only way capacity will ever be increased will be if the decision is made to reduce leg-room in some areas of the ground to squeeze maybe another 1,000 in.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Amex is surely finished now, at least until safe standing is permitted and desired. Rather than spend millions more, surely it is fairer for Tony to get some of his money back first ? ???

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It's SIMPLE.

Build an arena next to the ground on Bennet's Field to house the "American Express Albion #Together ExperienceTM"

Basically everyone sits there wearing VR headsets and watchjing the game unfold, but also gets the actual visceral thrill of being amongst a crowd (and hearing the actual sounds of the match).

PLUS as you're not actually physically in front of the match you can drink as much as you want in your seat.

Get your wallet out Bloom you cheapskate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35918451

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
WHEN we qualify for the Champions League next season, we should knock Falmer down.

Next summer we build this on Hove seafront at the Pitch & Putt green.

:clap2:

9bfa7973c08c9fc54e3fad44cc8f3020252877282a10009cd0e03dd51efe15478596df4dc2fb94a8246cc41690954048b06b448fb4a158a8907b882491f61db4.jpg

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No-one has ever added a whole new tier by digging down. Some grounds they've added a few extra rows of seating but even then it can mess up the sightlines unless you narrow/move the pitch.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If we went up, I can guarantee we wouldn't sell out after the first season. It happened in 79-83.
This. Few more accurate things have ever been said on NSC.

There will also be Wagon Wheels.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
To expand the Amex, you would basically have to dismantle the arches and the whole roof. Those arches support a "ring of steel" that holds the entire roof structure in place - the arches actually lean back away from each other, counterbalancing each other to in order to "pull" the roofs up into place and hold them there. This wouldn't be like redeveloping the stadium piece-by-piece - you'd have to take down EVERYTHING you currently see above your heads and start again. Not something that could feasibly be done during the summer.

Complete non-starter.

(and yes, I get that the OP was speaking tongue-in-cheek, but its a theoretical question I've seen on here before, and I do think its an interesting discussion).

I've heard all this said before but I'm sure there are ways and means, including relocating the offices in the North stand and taking it back another 20 rows. Obviously it wouldn't be cheap, but certainly possible.

Lets face it we have out grown the amex,if we are going to push on we need new investment and a new ground,we are never going to make money at the amex the dinosaur has been draining the playing budget,solar panels could save on our huge lecci bill for starters! We need a 50,000 seater in the town centre if we are going to compete at the top table and europe:moo:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Let's dig down but not tell the council.
Wait, even better idea. Let's build a new stadium in the field next door and surround it with hay bales for four years. No one will know will they?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I've heard all this said before but I'm sure there are ways and means, including relocating the offices in the North stand and taking it back another 20 rows. Obviously it wouldn't be cheap, but certainly possible.

Risk vs reward though isn't it? As there's not really good locations to move the police box or the screen you can only build back between those two points, plus to the right of the screen. How many seats is that? Maybe 100-150?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here