Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the AMEX be EXTENDED if we go UP ?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Let's remember that 30,000 is brilliant. I think 33,000 if the PL would be just about right.

If I was chairman, which I am not, I would take the roof off the North Stand, rip out the offices, double the size of the stand, and then use the two arches to put the roof back on.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
He's right. I well remember Alan Mullery being quoted as 'come early or you won't get in'. Although now a distant memory it certainly wasn't a full Goldstone for that first game against Arsenal....

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Well thats not what Hebbard and Perry said when we had the stadium tour 3/4 of the way through construction. They were delighted with the secretive "tapping nose" aspect of the 2nd tier of the East stand to come, and the potential to fill the corners to boost capacity beyond that initial 22k that we were granted permission for. But elevating the east stand ? Leveling off the north/south roofs ? Sorry, I just cannot see that. Not without taking the whole thing apart. Sounds like complete fantasy to me.

Not fantasy at all.......I was lucky enough to meet the architect that day after winning a competition to be at the first dig, what I've told you is 100% correct..........

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Grounds big enough. This season has proved that .

Who cares if a few thousand glory hunters can't get in if we make the Prem.

That revenue is peanuts compared to the TV money anyway

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would only extend the ground if we stay up for a least three seasons with full house and a 5000 waiting list for season tickets.I would build the hotel first.

D1AX

Jun 20, 2013
I was told on a tour of the stadium that 31K was it's final capacity and would not be extended.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
He's right. I well remember Alan Mullery being quoted as 'come early or you won't get in'. Although now a distant memory it certainly wasn't a full Goldstone for that first game against Arsenal....

The threat of large scale football hooliganism does not exist today,remember Arsenal got gates as low as 17,000 in the early 80s,Chelsea 12,000,Newcastle 14,000.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Only if they are filled on matchdays.
If we only stay in the top tier for a couple of seasons, we will be left with more seats than needed. How many times has the Amex actually sold out this season?

Best to bide our time.[/QUOTI regularly watch Channel five and have noted the empty seats in many stadiums these include Bolton,Fulham Bournemouth after the excitement of making the top League having a ST seemed to be a good choice however several seasons fighting relegation and people are switching to pay as and when entertainment and results justify so give it a season or so before a decision is made

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where there's a will there's a way.I'm sure some genuis could work out how to extend the Amex but the cost could be massive and so make it a non starter especially when you consider in the Prem attendance money is not your main income.

Perhaps it's better to have a crammed 31/32k stadium every game rather than a 40k stadium that is only sometimes full.

People are getting carried away with how many would go to the Amex.It's hard to know.

It's not just about the stadium stands though, there has to be adequate transport and safety stuff like ability to evacuate etc. I'm just not convinced we can add the extra stands and/or handle the extra people.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It's not just about the stadium stands though, there has to be adequate transport and safety stuff like ability to evacuate etc. I'm just not convinced we can add the extra stands and/or handle the extra people.

I vaguely remember someone on here talking up a slide from the north stand to the station. sounds perfectly sensibl to me (after a few beers)

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Agree with this, night games are already a nightmare with extra added it would be even worse

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015

I can't see that the chairman would consider expanding without taking transport etc into consideration.

I think rather than running before we can walk they should see and I assume will see the demand for tickets if we go up.For the first part of the season demand will be high and then may slow down a little as we get use to being in the Prem.Maybe it would need 2 years in the Prem to really see.

On the other hand what about if they expanded to 40.000 and we went down and stuggled mid table in the Championship.23/24k in a 40.000 stadium wouldn't look good.

It would take a long time to get money back from adding another 8.000 seats and taking into account more money is earned from TV money I think it will take a lot for the Amex to be expanded.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
What is Brighton's catchment area?

Eastbourne to Littlehampton?
Northwards up to Crawley taking some of their population who don't watch Crawley?

We all know a 40.000 Amex would fill in the Prem for the big games but if we've had 24.000 crowds this season could
we add another 16.000 for Watford,West Brom,Swansea?

Why did Southampton only build a stadium for 32.000?Because of Portsmouth being so close or because they felt any bigger
was a waste of money?So why do we think we can do 40.000 every week if we get to the Prem?

What is Brighton's catchment area?

Eastbourne to Littlehampton?
Northwards up to Crawley taking some of their population who don't watch Crawley?

We all know a 40.000 Amex would fill in the Prem for the big games but if we've had 24.000 crowds this season could
we add another 16.000 for Watford,West Brom,Swansea?

Why did Southampton only build a stadium for 32.000?Because of Portsmouth being so close or because they felt any bigger
was a waste of money?So why do we think we can do 40.000 every week if we get to the Prem?

Because we could sell 30k plus s/t and we all know they wont turn up for swans on a feb night! But with big away support the man u/chelsea type games could attract over 40k! Build it and they will come!:moo: Alot of people thought 22k was optimistic:bhasign:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The expansion of the Nou Camp for the 1982 World Cup (adding the 3rd tier) boosted the capacity from 93k to 120k.

http://www.stadiumguide.com/noucamp/

That's without any roof !! A roof is essential for a quality UK football ground.

Adding a 2nd tier in the south [bit like Brentford] would add a couple of thousand. For the big teams like Manu U, Man C, Gooners, West Ham, Tottenham, Liverpool & Chelsea they could probably sell out the whole end. For fewer visitors, make the upper tier POTG.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here