Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the AMEX be EXTENDED if we go UP ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The cost of structure change will be in the tens of millions. It will take quite a long time for 5000 extra seats worth of ticket revenue to cover that.

As much as i'd love another tier on the north, or it's size increased somehow, I think TB and co. will be focusing mainly on strengthening the squad and ensuring some kind of stability in the PL.

If there was demand above and beyond 5k for a couple of seasons then maybe, but for now should be happy with what we have.

This is all assuming we even go up, which I would love to be confident about but i've supported BHA for too long to take anything for granted.
Seats last about 50 years. 5,000 x £1000 x 50 = £250m .... Got to be worth it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its not possible to expand the Amex any further. There is no room for 2nd tiers or upper concourses in the north or south stands, it was never designed with that in mind. Those arches are deeply embedded underground in concrete thrust blocks, they counter-balance each other to hold the entire roof in place, all the way around. The roofs cannot be raised any further to accommodate additional tiers.

What you see is what you get folks. It can't be expanded any further.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Its not possible to expand the Amex any further. There is no room for 2nd tiers or upper concourses in the north or south stands, it was never designed with that in mind. Those arches are deeply embedded underground in concrete thrust blocks, they counter-balance each other to hold the entire roof in place, all the way around. The roofs cannot be raised any further to accommodate additional tiers.

Do you really think if you threw enough money at a quality structual engineer/architect that they wouldn't be able to come up with something?

There are things which can be done which would doubtless require major structure change, just nothing economical based on the added revenue from the seats created. That is why the club's message is clear on the matter.

Correct or not, this is my understanding also.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Boooo

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
IF we go up, the economic response will be to put ticket prices up. Expect a significant hike in JCL STs and one-off match tickets, reflecting demand over supply.

PG

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I don't believe this in the slightest TBH.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Seats last about 50 years. 5,000 x £1000 x 50 = £250m .... Got to be worth it.

Only if they are filled on matchdays.
If we only stay in the top tier for a couple of seasons, we will be left with more seats than needed. How many times has the Amex actually sold out this season?

Best to bide our time.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I reckon there is a way to expand a little if we really wanted/needed to. Man city added a whole new tier to their south stand last season!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do you really think if you threw enough money at a quality structual engineer/architect that they wouldn't be able to come up with something?

There are things which can be done which would doubtless require major structure change, just nothing economical based on the added revenue from the seats created. That is why the club's message is clear on the matter.

I don't believe this in the slightest TBH.

To expand the Amex, you would basically have to dismantle the arches and the whole roof. Those arches support a "ring of steel" that holds the entire roof structure in place - the arches actually lean back away from each other, counterbalancing each other to in order to "pull" the roofs up into place and hold them there. This wouldn't be like redeveloping the stadium piece-by-piece - you'd have to take down EVERYTHING you currently see above your heads and start again. Not something that could feasibly be done during the summer.

Complete non-starter.

(and yes, I get that the OP was speaking tongue-in-cheek, but its a theoretical question I've seen on here before, and I do think its an interesting discussion).

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

I beg to differ!

Sofa.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here