Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cyrilthesinik

Oct 15, 2011
I have lived and worked with Pompey fans for 20 odd years, they were all Billy big bananas when things were going on all super-do-per but now...well you would think football had been banished from the face of the world, none of then, not one has any fight or inclination to do something now, they couldn't give a dam. 250000 of the knuckle draggers turned up down Southsea Common when they won/bought The F.A Cup...where are they now? Arrogant and smug in their hay day, arrogant and lazy now. We love our club and proved it..time and again to save it..Pompey...well a few do I am sure but most have a very different love to what we have.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
So basically they have to stay alive for 12 months and 1 day for everybody to benefit from the final parachute payment.

Mind you I'm not sure how this will work. The last parachute payment isn't payable till August. However if they dont exit admin by the end of May the league has said they will kick them out. The parachute payment is dependent of them still being in the league so its all still a bit messy.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Mind you I'm not sure how this will work. The last parachute payment isn't payable till August. However if they dont exit admin by the end of May the league has said they will kick them out. The parachute payment is dependent of them still being in the league so its all still a bit messy.

I think PST are hoping to take over once the valuation on Fratton Park is sorted and they can afford the asking price. The court hearing being delayed a fortnight means they could miss a March 28th deadline which they believe means any points deduction is carried over to the following season. Now the administrators have a 6 months extension this keeps alive the prospect of a payout from the Premier League and as long as the club come out of administration by May 31st to avoid expulsion and survive until August there are big bucks waiting to be paid out. The points deduction issue could become interesting , will they be deducted 10 points this season , deducted 10 points next season , or will it be a 30 points combined deduction for taking the piss ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
My appologies if I've rattled your cage. No of course your opinion is as valid as mine. I don't agree with it because I think your taking a too simplistic approach to something that has been going wrong at Pompey for many years. Don't forget this hasn't suddenly sprung up overnight, Pompey have been in the proverbial financial shit for a long time now and with each change of owner/board things have got worse and worse. Plenty of time I would have thought for the alarm bells to be ringing rather than just a couple of woolly media articles.

But as I say, my argument is not with you, its with the so called thousands of fans at Portsmouth who did too little, too late and even now have refused to take up the challenge. I am suprised though that you can't see the difference between what we did as a fan base to try and sort things out and what they are doing, (or not doing), down the road.

We're losing 8 million a year and spunking out 2 million on a new striker, bidding 2.5 million for a centre-back. Are you going to lead the Bloom out campaign?

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
We're losing 8 million a year and spunking out 2 million on a new striker, bidding 2.5 million for a centre-back. Are you going to lead the Bloom out campaign?

Not yet because our losses are currently sustainable, bills are being paid and were not ripping off HMRC or local small businesses.

If you can't see the difference between how our club and Portsmouth are run then I suggest you book yourself into an accountancy course, (and before you ask, yes I am a qualified accountant by trade and do know what I'm talking about).

As soon as we start ripping off businesses, not paying our bills and entering administration for the first time, (let alone the third like Portsmouth), I will happily be involved in pointing out what is going wrong. However as we are aiming to comply with the new Financial Fair Play rules I honestly believe that there is no cause for alarm and that the financial side of this club is in safe hands.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Your comment was more about the fans - why didn't they protest when Portsmouth was moving up the leagues, paying millions on players and making a loss year-on-year? I'm just pointing out that there isn't much of a difference. I'm confident Bloom knows what he is doing. But I don't KNOW that he does.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Your comment was more about the fans - why didn't they protest when Portsmouth was moving up the leagues, paying millions on players and making a loss year-on-year? I'm just pointing out that there isn't much of a difference. I'm confident Bloom knows what he is doing. But I don't KNOW that he does.

I agree with you 100%. Why didn't they protest when the kept entering administration, when the club kept changing hands, to even more dodgy and overseas ownership and when the continued to try and buy players when it was continually pointed out that there attendances couldn't sustain.

Thats why there is a difference between them and us.

Your right of course, nobody can be certain that Bloom knows what he is doing, although given his track record with his own businesses and how he has supported and developed the Albion to date it does not give any reason for concern at the moment. Lets see where we are in another year or so but the way it has been explained by Barber and others, it looks like there is a plan to make us fully sustainable sooner rather than later.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Personally I reckon 3 or 4 years kicking around at the foot of league 2 or in the Blue Square is fair punishment for Portsmouth, not liquidation.

Now I do think the rules are wrong - 1 admin should result in a boot down to league 2, with a 20 point deduction on top. A second admin should mean expulsion.

This should be plenty deterrent to stop clubs ripping off small business and HMRC.

I blame the weak penalties imposed by the league, and actually recognise that Portsmouth have a few decent supporters, and I cannot support the idea that they should go bust, no matter how graceless and gloating their fans have been in the past.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I have lived and worked with Pompey fans for 20 odd years, they were all Billy big bananas when things were going on all super-do-per but now...well you would think football had been banished from the face of the world, none of then, not one has any fight or inclination to do something now, they couldn't give a dam. 250000 of the knuckle draggers turned up down Southsea Common when they won/bought The F.A Cup...where are they now? Arrogant and smug in their hay day, arrogant and lazy now. We love our club and proved it..time and again to save it..Pompey...well a few do I am sure but most have a very different love to what we have.

Not that tired old stuff about how we have such a better quality of fan than other clubs. In the dark Archer days the number of hardcore activists we had could be numbered in dozens, hundreds at most.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Personally I reckon 3 or 4 years kicking around at the foot of league 2 or in the Blue Square is fair punishment for Portsmouth, not liquidation.

Now I do think the rules are wrong - 1 admin should result in a boot down to league 2, with a 20 point deduction on top. A second admin should mean expulsion.

This should be plenty deterrent to stop clubs ripping off small business and HMRC.

I blame the weak penalties imposed by the league, and actually recognise that Portsmouth have a few decent supporters, and I cannot support the idea that they should go bust, no matter how graceless and gloating their fans have been in the past.

I think that is a sensible suggestion. The only difficulty I can see is that most clubs go into administration during the season. If you demote a club straightaway it would cause chaos to the fixture list that season and if you waited until the end of the season there would be little incentive for the club to try and put on a competitive match knowing their fate was sealed.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not that tired old stuff about how we have such a better quality of fan than other clubs. In the dark Archer days the number of hardcore activists we had could be numbered in dozens, hundreds at most.

Hmmm quick flick through More than 90 minutes

Page 99 Oct 5th 1996 around 200 fans march through the Mellor Lancashire, home of Bill Archer.
Page 107 Oct 28th 1996 a unanimous vote to boycott the Mansfield game (okay we all broke into the East Stand to watch the second half)
Page 121 Nov 30th 1996 Fulham away with a march from Victoria station to Hyde Park, slightly more than dozens or hundreds at most there.

I would argue that all of these were activists and it is fair criticism to say that by comparison Pompey fans do not seem as motivated to save their club.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE

Page 99 Oct 5th 1996 around 200 fans march through the Mellor Lancashire, home of Bill Archer.
Page 107 Oct 28th 1996 a unanimous vote to boycott the Mansfield game (okay we all broke into the East Stand to watch the second half)
Page 121 Nov 30th 1996 Fulham away with a march from Victoria station to Hyde Park, slightly more than dozens or hundreds at most there.

I would argue that all of these were activists and it is fair criticism to say that by comparison Pompey fans do not seem as motivated to save their club.

Fair play to those stood up, but the numbers at the crisis meetings at the old Concorde were hardly overwhelming. The vast majority of match-goers just didn't get involved.
And to be fair, thousands of Pompey fans have contributed financially to their Supporters Trust bid to buy the club. I just don't buy the line that we're a better breed of fan than them. I see they're averaging over 12,000 at the bottom of the third division - would we do that? we rarely sold out Withdean because it wasn't good enough for our fickle floating support.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Always exciting, yet ultimately disappointing when this thread pops up.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove

You could point to the walk out at the Goldstone to counter that argument. Not sure of the numbers who walked out on masse but it was in the thousands. Can't see the fratton faithful doing that!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Fair play to those stood up, but the numbers at the crisis meetings at the old Concorde were hardly overwhelming. The vast majority of match-goers just didn't get involved.
And to be fair, thousands of Pompey fans have contributed financially to their Supporters Trust bid to buy the club. I just don't buy the line that we're a better breed of fan than them. I see they're averaging over 12,000 at the bottom of the third division - would we do that? we rarely sold out Withdean because it wasn't good enough for our fickle floating support.

It was much harder to mobilise support in 95-96 pre widespread use of the Internet and yet meetings moved from the Concorde to Hove Town Hall to accommodate more supporters.

I had a look at the pompey supporters trust and I concede this is a decent effort;

The prospective Portsmouth chairman, Iain McInnes, has provided £250,000 and all presidents will form an advisory board if the takeover is completed. In addition, more than 2,000 supporters have paid an initial deposit of £100 and the club are now trying to covert these payments into a minimum share purchase of £1,000 to raise more than £2m.

cyrilthesinik

Oct 15, 2011

Fans United??? I was trying to make the point that most of them don't seem to give a toss! If you have spent anytime amongst Pompey fans then you will get what I am trying to get at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports