Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Really ? That's disappointing ! I'm still hanging my hopes on the ground being valued higher than the trust can afford.
There is still about £8M due from the Premier League as the final parachute payment and all interested parties want a piece of the action , Portpin , PKF , PST and also the city council if they advance PST a loan.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I don't see how. They have a foreign owner who wants nothing other than to take every penny out of the club that he can. Marches and demonstrations won't change that.

They also had English owners in the past when they were spunking cash as hard as they could on 'winning' the cup and competing in the Premiership on gates that wouldn't have even supported a championship team.

I'm sorry but all this, 'what could they have done' malarky just doesn't wash with me. They were happy to lap up the glory using taxpayers and small businesses monies, while continuing to lord it over us and others and telling us what a small club we were.

What a good thing was it not, that many Brighton supporters woke up and changed what was happening to our club while Pompey supporters did nothing except bask in the fact that they were competing in the Premiership and sod the consequences.

I too have sympathy with some of the genuine supporters, (I'm sure there are some), but this saga has gone on much too long and needs to be brought to an end, if nothing more than as a wake up call to the FA, Premiership and clubs as to what can, (and will), happen if they continue along this path.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There is still about £8M due from the Premier League as the final parachute payment and all interested parties want a piece of the action , Portpin , PKF , PST and also the city council if they advance PST a loan.

I'm sure I've read that PST have budgeted to pay £2.5m for the ground ( and I guess that assumes they get all the funds they were expecting from fans etc ). It's held as a security against £12m - what if it's valued at say £8m - can they afford it ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They also had English owners in the past when they were spunking cash as hard as they could on 'winning' the cup and competing in the Premiership on gates that wouldn't have even supported a championship team.
We're spending a decent chunk at the moment, and I don't see us complaining. What about all the clubs that are spending more than us, are their fans complaining? Not that any of that is relevant to Pompey's current situation.

I'm sorry but all this, 'what could they have done' malarky just doesn't wash with me. They were happy to lap up the glory using taxpayers and small businesses monies, while continuing to lord it over us and others and telling us what a small club we were.
So some supporters lorded it. I'm sure a great many didn't. My Pompey supporting friends didn't.

What a good thing was it not, that many Brighton supporters woke up and changed what was happening to our club while Pompey supporters did nothing except bask in the fact that they were competing in the Premiership and sod the consequences.
Had we have been doing well in the Premiership, our fans wouldn't have been complaining, so there's no comparison there.

I too have sympathy with some of the genuine supporters, (I'm sure there are some), but this saga has gone on much too long and needs to be brought to an end, if nothing more than as a wake up call to the FA, Premiership and clubs as to what can, (and will), happen if they continue along this path.
The saga does need to end, but that doesn't mean Pompey should be closed.

If any one of us were a Pompey fan, the situation would be the same.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We're spending a decent chunk at the moment, and I don't see us complaining. What about all the clubs that are spending more than us, are their fans complaining? Not that any of that is relevant to Pompey's current situation.

You're ignoring a key point that the press did point out many of the problems at Pompey years ago but fans and the FA ignored them. I'm sure [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] can give more detail.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oh and for those interested, the court yesterday agreed to extend their administration until August 17th. God knows why.

The administrators successfully applied for a 6 months extension. Pompey have to come out of administration by May 31st or be expelled from the Football League.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're ignoring a key point that the press did point out many of the problems at Pompey years ago but fans and the FA ignored them.
That's a fair point regarding the FA - they'll let anyone own a club, even if the person doesn't exist. But what were the fans supposed to do, write a letter to the owner saying stop spending so much? Is that what Man City fans should be doing? And what good would that have done?

And that's still not relevant to their current situation now, where a business man has taken over the club with the intention of making money out of it, and he's getting his money by stripping it of all its assets. A lot of Brighton fans made the effort to persuade Archer to leave our club, but don't beat yourselves on the back too much, Pompey's situation is different, and what we did to save our club would not have worked with the current owner of Pompey.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be honest, I find it all a bit tiresome. Not because I don't sympathise, because I do (with their fans). We would all be delighted if we were in the same situation as Pompey when they won the FA Cup... So I find it difficult to judge the fans. Ultimately though, I just wish someone would make a decision one way or another.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What about the ten points? Is that being deducted before the end of the season?

As long as they exit administration on the day before their final league game the ten points will be deducted. It is unknown what will happen if they exit administration between April 27th and May 31st but I guess the FL will impose a 30 points deduction for their 2013/2014 season in League 2. Of course the administrators might pull the plug at anytime before the season ends if it looks like they may lose their fees :lol:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Sort of an Iniesta or Xavi, you're thinking?

Oh I don't know, I can think of a few footballers who might compare to Westwood in terms of their svelteness.

More like Iniesta as he's very pale. Perhaps he could be an even more rotund and less mobile version of Jan Mølby, waddling entirely within the bounds of the centre circle distributing passes of surprising accuracy with an expression of equal parts concern and annoyance that someone might eat the rest of his sandwich before he gets back down the tunnel.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Genius :lolol:

How long do you think before John Westwood gets a go at left back?

When they were scraping together a team of youth teamers and desperate mercenaries at the start of the season, I noticed on their team sheet, the name WESTWOOD. For a magical moment, I thought this dream had come to pass.

But it turned out to be Appleton's assistant Ashley Westwood :down:

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
Maybe if the fans had woken up a bit sooner to what has "apparently" been going they might have been able to do something and might also have gained a bit more support from other supporters. Even today they're still blaming the FA!

I really can't see how pompey supporters can be blamed for what has happened to their club- am i missing something?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I really can't see how pompey supporters can be blamed for what has happened to their club- am i missing something?

They're not being blamed for what happened rather that they didn't make any attempt to stop it. And, yes, it was known that something fishy was going on well before any disaster struck.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The lack of sympathy for them, isn't just their inaction during good times, or acting to prevent a threepeat of administrations.

Even after disaster struck, their most vocal supporters still didn't seem to adjust their views. There are plenty of examples throughout this thread of the divine right to premier league football they seemed to feel they have, their ideas for getting out of trouble was to spend more on players that were too good for their division, that they couldn't afford, so that they could get promoted and back on their way up toward the premier league. The fans of the likes of plymouth understood they would be looking at consecutive relegation, that they are going to have to struggle for a few years. We too accept, even ensured lower league football (invading the pitch despite threat of points deductions).

Pompey fans act as if being in lague one is the worst thing that could possibly happen to them. The FA have bent over backwards to help them, granting permission for transfers that they would otherwise not have, they've had due money's forwarded, to them, they've had points deductions suspended, and yet still those most vocal pompey fans complain about the FA doing nothing to help them.

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
They're not being blamed for what happened rather that they didn't make any attempt to stop it. And, yes, it was known that something fishy was going on well before any disaster struck.

What exactly are fans supposed to do if something 'fishy' is going on at the club they support? The fans are victims here. There are some on here who have taken banter between pompey and us way too personally. I don't think relishing in another clubs demise is what football is about, especially with our own history.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here