Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What exactly are fans supposed to do if something 'fishy' is going on at the club they support? The fans are the victims here. There are some on here who have taken banter between pompey and us way too personally. I don't think relishing in another clubs demise is what football is about, especially with our own history.

No club will die if the fans don't want it to. See: AFC Wimbledon, Aldershot, Rushden and Diamonds, Maidstone etc

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove
No, the victims are the people and businesses that have lost money

You are right! They are the real victims. However, saying that pompey fans should have 'done something' about the ownership of their club based on some media reports that insinuated that there were 'fishy' goings ons is complete tripe.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You are right! They are the real victims. However, saying that pompey fans should have 'done something' about the ownership of their club based on some media reports that insinuated that there were 'fishy' goings ons is complete tripe.

Well we DID something about it even before the press had got involved. I've yet to see any serious campaign by Pompey supporters or even a pitch invasion ( I guess you weren't as the York game ?). Even now the supporters are blaming the FA !!!!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Well we DID something about it even before the press had got involved. I've yet to see any serious campaign by Pompey supporters or even a pitch invasion ( I guess you weren't as the York game ?). Even now the supporters are blaming the FA !!!!

I hope they enjoyed their ill gotten Cup Final appearances. My heart bleeds for them.

NOT

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove

Not entirely sure that a pitch invasion when playing York saved us. hey ho

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not entirely sure that a pitch invasion when playing York saved us. hey ho

Not on its own, no. But it DID get the media involved.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They are, yes. But only because Pompey are already in administration and were, until very recently, in the cash cow Prem and FA Cup winners.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
my point being that the media are already involved regarding pompey.

Look I will put your ignorance down to the fact that you have only posted 6 times on this site and therefore assuming you are of a fairly youthful age, may no nothing about the struggles for BHA in the past.

Safe to say there have been books written about what the fans did to save this club, petitions, marches, even the Argus got involved in an effort to stabilise and put this club on an even keel. Somewhat different to your assertion that the media at Portsmouth are involved. No there not, there just reporting.

And what do we get from our friends down the road. Nothing except how unfair it is, how its all the FA's fault, how there too big to be down in League 1/2.

Yes I know that some well meaning fans have set up the Portsmouth Trust in an attempt to take over the club, (and very good luck to them). However even that seems to be stalling with not enough donations coming forward and Pompey continue to lose money. Without the aid of some wealthy backers who continue to pay some of the bills until this is sorted out, I expect the administrator would have pulled the plug long ago. If this was any other business than a football club I am sure he would.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Look I will put your ignorance down to the fact that you have only posted 6 times on this site and therefore assuming you are of a fairly youthful age, may no nothing about the struggles for BHA in the past.

Safe to say there have been books written about what the fans did to save this club, petitions, marches, even the Argus got involved in an effort to stabilise and put this club on an even keel. Somewhat different to your assertion that the media at Portsmouth are involved. No there not, there just reporting.

And what do we get from our friends down the road. Nothing except how unfair it is, how its all the FA's fault, how there too big to be down in League 1/2.

Yes I know that some well meaning fans have set up the Portsmouth Trust in an attempt to take over the club, (and very good luck to them). However even that seems to be stalling with not enough donations coming forward and Pompey continue to lose money. Without the aid of some wealthy backers who continue to pay some of the bills until this is sorted out, I expect the administrator would have pulled the plug long ago. If this was any other business than a football club I am sure he would.
You do know Pompey fans attended fans united day don't you? Where's the compassion when they are on there knees?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will this 6 month delay give them the breathing space that they need to continue as a football league club.

That is the general idea plus the fact the administrators will be able to rack up more fees.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
That is the general idea plus the fact the administrators will be able to rack up more fees.

Not that I'm dismissing this as being the case I'm sure the argument that it would be counterproductive for all interested parties to wind-up the club until the final parachute payment was received would have swung it

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
You do know Pompey fans attended fans united day don't you? Where's the compassion when they are on there knees?

Exactly my point. Why don't they organise a fans united day themselves? (In fact I think they might have done but hardly anybody turned up if I remember correctly).

Its not a case of lacking compassion, its a case of expecting someone at Portsmouth to take the lead and get something organised to try and save their club. Not sit back and continually moan about it and expecting something to 'turn up'. :angry:

dizzy_V

Aug 7, 2011
Hove

Was it entirely necessary to take that patronising tone to your reply. You have only posted 597 times. Does that make your opinion any less valid than someone who has posted say 600 times. I probably wasn't clear enough. I was mainly responding to some posts which insinuated that pompey fans should have 'done something' when they were doing well in the premiership and that it was obvious that something 'fishy' was going on because of a couple of wooly media articles.

And its KNOW not no!!!!! someone of your age and wisdom should KNOW this ;-)

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Was it entirely necessary to take that patronising tone to your reply. You have only posted 597 times. Does that make your opinion any less valid than someone who has posted say 600 times. I probably wasn't clear enough. I was mainly responding to some posts which insinuated that pompey fans should have 'done something' when they were doing well in the premiership and that it was obvious that something 'fishy' was going on because of a couple of wooly media articles.

My appologies if I've rattled your cage. No of course your opinion is as valid as mine. I don't agree with it because I think your taking a too simplistic approach to something that has been going wrong at Pompey for many years. Don't forget this hasn't suddenly sprung up overnight, Pompey have been in the proverbial financial shit for a long time now and with each change of owner/board things have got worse and worse. Plenty of time I would have thought for the alarm bells to be ringing rather than just a couple of woolly media articles.

But as I say, my argument is not with you, its with the so called thousands of fans at Portsmouth who did too little, too late and even now have refused to take up the challenge. I am suprised though that you can't see the difference between what we did as a fan base to try and sort things out and what they are doing, (or not doing), down the road.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My point is as to whether this decision is primarily football or finance related and who will benefit most from it.

It all to do with the money , if the club is wound up exactly 12 months after going into administration as per the normal rules , the final parachute payment from the Premier League isn't paid out. PKF (the administrators) , Portpin (who own the ground) , PST (who want to buy the club) , the local council (prepared to make a loan to PST) , creditors from the two previous administrations all stand to benefit.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

And its KNOW not no!!!!! someone of your age and wisdom should KNOW this ;-)

OK, let's assume the fans didn't know about things at the start but TWO administrations on they were supporting massive signings on huge wages - and along comes a THIRD administration. This on top of media reports that things were amiss. You'd have to be bloody stupid not to spot that !!!!!!! No, any sensible Pompey fan will be looking for liquidation and a new start. Anyone supporting anything other than that can get stuffed ! Pompey deserve to go out of business because they cheated ( three times )and I'll raise a glass when they do !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here