Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Pompey fold? (merged threads)

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Some lovely posts on here gents, well done.

I just don't get some people on here.

You obviously aren't football fans...any fan worth anything could see past a little rivalry to realise that real fans care about Pompey, just as real fans care about the albion.

Pathetic.

Read the insightful comments made by Severnside Gull on this thread: Lower league Pompey

The best thing would be for them to fold. The Football League needs to realise that football is now a business and it needs to do more to protect its own interests.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i get the niggle that the way the rules are set up, it would be better off for them to do enough to retain their membership (ie CVA etc) and take the 10 pt hit for another year. with the parachute payment still due they'd be a wealthy L1 outfit and probably come back ala Leeds. assuming they can continue to play at Fratton park of course.

eitherway, point is, theres no rule i'm aware of for the league to say enough's enough and boot them. cant be fun for the fans, as above better to start a fresh. i imagine an AFC Portsmouth would get large attendances and come back up quickly.

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Redknapps legacy. It stinks.

Harry_Redknapp_1394178c.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some lovely posts on here gents, well done.

Trust a Palace fan to come out in support of clubs in administration. How many times? Pompey aren't up shit creek because of bad luck, or because of tough financial conditions. They're there because they gambled too many times, in the process taking the piss out of all the clubs who actually tried to keep their house (relatively) in order. They cheated their way to the Premier League...cheated clubs like Palace in fact.

That should bother you a lot more than it evidently does.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Redknapps legacy. It stinks.

Harry_Redknapp_1394178c.jpg

Nothing to do with Harry IMO. If the directors can't direct a company then it will go down the swanny. Harry was there to bring in players to win things. The directors would know how much he could afford to spend

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

You obviously aren't football fans...any fan worth anything could see past a little rivalry to realise that real fans care about Pompey, just as real fans care about the albion.

Pathetic.

Don't waste your breath mate

I'd have more time for this point of view if they hadn't sung "you've never won f*** all" at us a couple of months ago. You'd think that fans of a club who sold it's soul, and local businesses down the river and indeed it's future for one FA Cup win just 3 or 4 years ago wouldn't have the front, especially as they did jack shit about looking at how it was all being financed at the time.

So f*** 'em. Fair play to their fans who want to reform, as that really is the correct answer.

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
To be absolutely honest I actually want Pompey to survive as a club now.

They've had 2 relegations, and their club infrastructure is a complete mess - this goes a fair way as punishment for their financial cheating. One more relegation would be ideal, but who knows, it wouldn't be too surprising if that actually happened, and they ended up doing a Bradford, or Luton.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The day they won the FA Cup what odds would have you got on them playing Crawley in a league fixture within 5 years?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Pathetic.

Someone think of the Children. Why won't you all THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

Actually, I have no sympathy for Pompey at all. This is largely based around the posts of Not Andy Naylor who, when pointing out that 80K a week wages were being funded on 20,000 bums on seats had nothing but correspondance back accusing him of jelousy and having it in for them. Blackburn fans aren't going down without a fight. Pompey did and even now have an unbearable arrognace about them (see Simster's post)

f*** them and thier tinpot, bell ringing, tax dodging, shitty club. Good riddance to Blue Square south and a derby with Andover.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Someone think of the Children. Why won't you all THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

Actually, I have no sympathy for Pompey at all. This is largely based around the posts of Not Andy Naylor who, when pointing out that 80K a week wages were being funded on 20,000 bums on seats had nothing but correspondance back accusing him of jelousy and having it in for them. Blackburn fans aren't going down without a fight. Pompey did and even now have an unbearable arrognace about them (see Simster's post)

f*** them and thier tinpot, bell ringing, tax dodging, shitty club. Good riddance to Blue Square south and a derby with Andover.

Their local Derby will be a massive one with Gosport Borough .. Who will Steve Claridge support then !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is a horrible thing to say but yes, I hope they fold now.Too many things wrong with them to survive but, maybe they have to fold for the good of football in general and as an example of how not to behave.It might introduce a degree of realism to the game

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:smile:
I hope they survive just so I can win my bet that Crawley finish above them next season. 3/1 he gave me

Jan 12, 2012
Trust a Palace fan to come out in support of clubs in administration. How many times? Pompey aren't up shit creek because of bad luck, or because of tough financial conditions. They're there because they gambled too many times, in the process taking the piss out of all the clubs who actually tried to keep their house (relatively) in order. They cheated their way to the Premier League...cheated clubs like Palace in fact.

That should bother you a lot more than it evidently does.

Im not supporting the clubs financial situation,im supporting the Pompey fans who dont deserve all this shit, but maybe thats too much for you to comprehend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here