Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Paul Clement be a success at Brighton?

Will he be a success?

• Yes

Votes: 59 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Yes and No

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Don't know.

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • Who?

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So from his point of view, you're saying he shouldn't leave his cushy job, or he should take a lesser job than the Albion. Personally I'd be grateful, considering our options, if we gave him the opportunity he desires and a little time.

Even Oscar admitted towards the end of the season, that he never realised what the championship was all about and he would be better equipped to cope next season and he had managed clubs before. So are we to give Clement a season to bed in, provided he lasts that long, so he can get a grip on the league. When we could go out and get someone who already knows what required in this division.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's just my way of thinking, I obviously can't think for him but I wouldn't leave a job at one of the biggest clubs in the world in Spain to have a gamble at managing BHA.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
We have been in the play offs, two seasons running. We have 22,000+ season ticket holders, one of the best grounds in Europe and a training complex due to open second to none. And some people are seriously giving thought to appointing a man in his first managerial route at our club??? Now he may well be the best thing since sliced bread and be fantastic, only time would tell. But on the face of it, it would be an insane appointment, I can't seriously believe it's even being contemplated to be honest.

Our two most successful managers ever in terms of league positions were both new to management when they took the Brighton job. Better than someone experienced at failure.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Even Oscar admitted towards the end of the season, that he never realised what the championship was all about and he would be better equipped to cope next season and he had managed clubs before. So are we to give Clement a season to bed in, provided he lasts that long, so he can get a grip on the league. When we could go out and get someone who already knows what required in this division.

If that is what it takes, a very firm YES from me kev, the Prem is huge, but there is more to this club than immediate (and poss shortwinded) Prem

synavm

May 2, 2013
Clement has learned from the best, and you look around now, there are an awful lot of top managers that were understudies of Champions League managers five/six years ago. Obviously, the Championship is a unique league but I think he could be good for us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Our two most successful managers ever in terms of league positions were both new to management when they took the Brighton job. Better than someone experienced at failure.

1. Football and footballers were very different in Mullery's day.
2. Poyet knew English football and was a very respected player. Something that actually goes a long way with modern day players.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Right, so we're all agreed that a quality coach doesn't necessarily make a great manager/up to the challenges that 46 games in the championship will bring. So, really it all boils down to the decision makers within the club: if finding a new manager is matched by the well documented process re buying players then you'd hope that TB will only appoint PC knowing he will be able to make the step up.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
1. Football and footballers were very different in Mullery's day.
2. Poyet knew English football and was a very respected player. Something that actually goes a long way with modern day players.

1. Agree, but think that an ability to 'inspire' is important and doesn't necessarily come with experience. Mullery sure had this quality.
2. Agree with being respected as a top quality player. Was CH? TS? PC, obviously not but he has coached the very best.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
1. Agree, but think that an ability to 'inspire' is important and doesn't necessarily come with experience. Mullery sure had this quality.
2. Agree with being respected as a top quality player. Was CH? TS? PC, obviously not but he has coached the very best.

But coaching players, is not the same as managing them. A coach can be everyone's friend, a manager has to make tough decisions. Being a top coach and being a top manager are chalk and cheese.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
It seems to me that people want a proven manager who has a great track record in the premier league, Dream on !!
I mean look at David Moyes great record at Everton on a limited Budget gets the big one at Utd and has a shocker, just goes to prove it doesnt matter how good you were at one club success doesnt follow you around.

Rather have someone who has a point to prove in charge of us than someone who is here for the easy ride knowing they can always shaft us and leave us as a one off blot on there CV

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What does a coach like him really get from working with the BEST players in the world, the galactico, who have already made the top of their game. He's a self confessed teacher and spent his life learning from the top managers and training as such. Watch the youtube interview with him of how passionate he is to manage his own team. That's his dream job.

I have just watched the video #11 and you are correct he does say he would like to be a manager but doesn't say it's his dream job, but at the beginning of the video he as good as says working at Real Madrid is his dream job, seeing as he hasn't been in his current job for long and from what he says he is very privaliged to work for Real, I'm not sure he would want to leave in a hurry.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
But coaching players, is not the same as managing them. A coach can be everyone's friend, a manager has to make tough decisions. Being a top coach and being a top manager are chalk and cheese.

The roles are different but some people can make the step. Up to Tony when he interviews (if he has or will be meeting PC) to determine. What I'm concerned about is that Chris Houghton seems to be particularly uninspiring, and I think we need that going forward after Oscar.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
It seems to me that people want a proven manager who has a great track record in the premier league, Dream on !!
I mean look at David Moyes great record at Everton on a limited Budget gets the big one at Utd and has a shocker, just goes to prove it doesnt matter how good you were at one club success doesnt follow you around.

Rather have someone who has a point to prove in charge of us than someone who is here for the easy ride knowing they can always shaft us and leave us as a one off blot on there CV

Marks Hughes is an example of this. He had a massive point to prove. Stoke fans shiteing themselves then bang, they get their highest prem finish

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I refuse to believe we would appoint another unproven man, who has no experience of management what so ever. Probably all bullshite anyway,,,,,at least I hope it is.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I have just watched the video #11 and you are correct he does say he would like to be a manager but doesn't say it's his dream job, but at the beginning of the video he as good as says working at Real Madrid is his dream job, seeing as he hasn't been in his current job for long and from what he says he is very privaliged to work for Real, I'm not sure he would want to leave in a hurry.

Ok so from the vid perhaps being no1 at Real is his dream job in the next 10 years, I think we read it very differently, his ambition is certainly to be a manager and no1 somewhere, I think more chance away from Real but who knows.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Ok so from the vid perhaps being no1 at Real is his dream job in the next 10 years, I think we read it very differently, his ambition is certainly to be a manager and no1 somewhere, I think more chance away from Real but who knows.

Don't get me wrong I do like him, I just can't see him quitting such a good job that he hasn't been doing for that long.
I think he will be a manager but not yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here