Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Paul Clement be a success at Brighton?

Will he be a success?

• Yes

Votes: 59 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Yes and No

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Don't know.

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • Who?

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That's a fair point and obviously there's a decent coaching record there but he didn't play at the same level as any of our team. I'm sure AVBs players used to throw that back in his face when things went wrong.

I can see that, but Chelsea did have a few old players, who seem pretty egoish. They were also pretty used to winning things and top flight managers.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
So it goes like this; he's worked with some top players therefore he'll be able to turn round a squad needing some major re-working, with a limited budget and some individuals whom are less than top level (let's face facts) even for our current division. This with NO senior man management experience, or single handed guiding of a squad of players... but hey it's ok, because when he looks at his Carlo book of "how to get results" he'll be able to bring on Gareth Bale and it'll be fine. I mean, Jesus wept.

I all for giving him a chnace, but I'm getting a wee bit sick of not being permitted to form an opinion, based on my feelings, by the thought police on this here website.

Kosh

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So it goes like this; he's worked with some top players therefore he'll be able to turn round a squad needing some major re-working, with a limited budget and some individuals whom are less than top level (let's face facts) even for our current division. This with NO senior man management experience, or single handed guiding of a squad of players... but hey it's ok, because when he looks at his Carlo book of "how to get results" he'll be able to bring on Gareth Bale and it'll be fine. I mean, Jesus wept.

I all for giving him a chnace, but I'm getting a wee bit sick of not being permitted to form an opinion, based on my feelings, by the thought police on this here website.

Kosh

You mean your getting sick of other people having a different opinion to you?

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys

Kosh

I understand ur point and wouldn't belittle it for a second but don't you think that PC will gain the players respect by what he is doing day to day in training. A "respect is earned" kind of philosophy.

He is obviously a very good coach the key will be how he can deal with being the top dog.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What gets my goat is this idea that he's the answer, based on his experience or lack of thus far. I seem to recall poor old Oscar being derided for having a questionable track record, for me this guy hasn't been on the track yet let alone produced a record. If Oscar was viewed as a gamble, what makes this potential appointment any less so?!? The fact that's he's english seems to be the only alternative angle, and lest we forget Oscar had actually won something.

For me this would be a huge, nay, titanic gamble with the forthcoming season. If he does turn out to be the man then as I said, which has been ignored by most, I wish him luck.

Kosh

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
My fear is that, as with Oscar, the Spanish style may be fine when you've got a load of good players, but that ours will struggle. People on NSC used to bang on about how Oscar had been the Barcelona youth coach. Okay, but he had the cream of the crop of Spanish youngsters to work with; we don't. I also fear that we'll have another season of tapping the ball around across the back four. Hopefully, given Real Madrid's demolition of Bayern Munich, where they were more direct and far faster than Barcelona usually are, he would look to play like that. I don't want Allardyce-style hoofball, which those who are not particularly pro-Spanish football are always accused of wanting. I would like us to play as Derby did against us, i.e. with style, but also with force where necessary. Barcelona can be wonderful to watch when Messi is on form; when not, their style can be turgid and boring. Also, when a team presses hard against them, as Atletico Madrid did on Saturday evening, they become rattled (prepares to be shot down in flames).

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What gets my goat is this idea that he's the answer, based on his experience or lack of thus far. I seem to recall poor old Oscar being derided for having a questionable track record, for me this guy hasn't been on the track yet let alone produced a record. If Oscar was viewed as a gamble, what makes this potential appointment any less so?!? The fact that's he's english seems to be the only alternative angle, and lest we forget Oscar had actually won something.

For me this would be a huge, nay, titanic gamble with the forthcoming season. If he does turn out to be the man then as I said, which has been ignored by most, I wish him luck.

Kosh

Wise words. From the outside it would be a bigger gamble than Oscar.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Given that he has been coaching some of the biggest players in the world at Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid, I'd imagine he won't have this problem.

It must be easy coaching some of the best players in the world, so I wonder how he would get on coaching the players we bring in, like turning Obika, Agustein, Lita and Andrews into Championship winning players.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yep - I think I'm just shocked by the reaction to the news that Clement could be the man, it's a huge ask for someone with his lack of top level management experience. We are, after all, a big club with sizable expectations. A few defeats and the knives would well and truly out, and not from me by the way! He would lose the players quickly too in my opinion. It's an easier job being the number 2/3, the players confidant, the arm round the shoulder, the comedian with the stop watch. Try giving Leo a bollocking and he's thinking (I would be), who's this failed P.E. teacher telling me what to do?!? A huge, huge gamble.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Yep - I think I'm just shocked by the reaction to the news that Clement could be the man, it's a huge ask for someone with his lack of top level management experience. We are, after all, a big club with sizable expectations. A few defeats and the knives would well and truly out, and not from me by the way! He would lose the players quickly too in my opinion. It's an easier job being the number 2/3, the players confidant, the arm round the shoulder, the comedian with the stop watch. Try giving Leo a bollocking and he's thinking (I would be), who's this failed P.E. teacher telling me what to do?!? A huge, huge gamble.

I'd like to think that the players would recognise the talents of a man deemed good enough to be part of the coaching staff at some of the biggest clubs in the world. I'd be hoping that they'd be looking to learn from his experience of working with top players, rather than questioning his authority.

Maybe I'm being naieve though? :shrug:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill

I don't believe he's ever been that "Oatway" kind of number 2 or 3. He's worked under several of the most serious minds in the game and if you check out some of his interviews on youtube I think you'll find he comes across as such and aspires to be the same

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
World of difference between being the coach or asst to someone, to being the main man. Would be another massive gamble from the club and another manager with no experience of managing in this division, or any division for that matter. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes in life, we all do. But learning from them is a must, surely the club would not go down this route again. I'd rather have Hughton than Clement. To appoint another manager with no experience of managing or playing in the championship, probably the most competitive league in Europe, would be a massive mistake. I will really start to question the people making the decisions at this club if Clement is appointed.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think Clement would be mad to give up his job working with some of the best players in the world to manage Brighton.
It must be a dream job for someone that has never played professional football to be coaching in Spain.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I think Clement would be mad to give up his job working with some of the best players in the world to manage Brighton.
It must be a dream job for someone that has never played professional football to be coaching in Spain.

What does a coach like him really get from working with the BEST players in the world, the galactico, who have already made the top of their game. He's a self confessed teacher and spent his life learning from the top managers and training as such. Watch the youtube interview with him of how passionate he is to manage his own team. That's his dream job.

First-job managers are always big gambles. We got lucky with Gus, but can we keep rolling the six. I would prefer us to go with a more known quantity

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What does a coach like him really get from working with the BEST players in the world, the galactico, who have already made the top of their game. He's a self confessed teacher and spent his life learning from the top managers and training as such. Watch the youtube interview with him of how passionate he is to manage his own team. That's his dream job.

His dream job as a manager could end up as a nightmare job that lasts only a year if he comes to BHA.
He has done well working for others but doesn't have to make the big decisions on team selection, I like the look of his CV but I think if he wants to manage in England he should start in a lower league and work his way up.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We have been in the play offs, two seasons running. We have 22,000+ season ticket holders, one of the best grounds in Europe and a training complex due to open second to none. And some people are seriously giving thought to appointing a man in his first managerial route at our club??? Now he may well be the best thing since sliced bread and be fantastic, only time would tell. But on the face of it, it would be an insane appointment, I can't seriously believe it's even being contemplated to be honest.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
His dream job as a manager could end up as a nightmare job that lasts only a year if he comes to BHA.
He has done well working for others but doesn't have to make the big decisions on team selection, I like the look of his CV but I think if he wants to manage in England he should start in a lower league and work his way up.

So from his point of view, you're saying he shouldn't leave his cushy job, or he should take a lesser job than the Albion. Personally I'd be grateful, considering our options, if we gave him the opportunity he desires and a little time.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Brian, it's like this - if he's appointed he'll get my full support and backing and it could be you're bang on with your assessment. I do subscribe to the opinion, however, that it's still a large step for him to take regardless of his experience or indeed the type of number 2 he's been - which I guess none us can know for sure. The problem is that if he fails he's out errm obviously, and if he succeeds? well it's probably bye bye to b i g g e r club.com. Hughton et al would probably be a safer bet with regard to the latter as he's kind of been there etc.

Reading that back it reeks of a lack of ambition on my part, but let's face facts, based on recent events I think it would be fair to say the chance of us retaining a 'young hot property' type manager amounts to a snowballs chance in hell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here