Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Wilfried Zaha

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Screenshot_20210928_151801_com.google.android.youtube_edit_59143666771183.jpg

If this doesn't scream LOOK AT MEEEEEEE then I don't know what does.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What I found odd was a fair few Palace fans- and the Palace official website- claiming Zaha "tormented" us all night (with his skills, rather than being a whiny child).

Is it just me or was that bullshit? Barring the penalty and- I assume- some trick or other down near the Always Ultras which I couldn't actually see from my seat because, Selhurst: what did he do all night? He used to be all tricks and stepovers and basically a constant threat. I've not seen any evidence of that for a few seasons now. He used to get the ball and have you thinking "Now we're in trouble". When he got the ball last night, I just found myself going "yep, stand him up, don't dive in and he'll just run the ball into your legs".

Maybe just Palace propaganda- they can't admit their boy wonder isn't the player he used to be, can they?- but I was genuinely surprised when they and one of the national paper reports suggested he was really good last night.

For what it's worth, Gallagher looked more of a threat (though similarly delicate in the challenge), while Eberechi Eze (when fit) seems far more of a key player than Tiny Tears these days.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What I found odd was a fair few Palace fans- and the Palace official website- claiming Zaha "tormented" us all night (with his skills, rather than being a whiny child).

Is it just me or was that bullshit? Barring the penalty and- I assume- some trick or other down near the Always Ultras which I couldn't actually see from my seat because, Selhurst: what did he do all night? He used to be all tricks and stepovers and basically a constant threat. I've not seen any evidence of that for a few seasons now. He used to get the ball and have you thinking "Now we're in trouble". When he got the ball last night, I just found myself going "yep, stand him up, don't dive in and he'll just run the ball into your legs".

Maybe just Palace propaganda- they can't admit their boy wonder isn't the player he used to be, can they?- but I was genuinely surprised when they and one of the national paper reports suggested he was really good last night.

For what it's worth, Gallagher looked more of a threat (though similarly delicate in the challenge), while Eberechi Eze (when fit) seems far more of a key player than Tiny Tears these days.

Point of order. They claimed NO SUCH THING.

He didn't 'torment' us. He 'TERRORISED' us...

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

According to the stats, he attempted 3 dribbles and only completed 1 (which must be when Trossard brought him down for a yellow card). Palace gave the ball to him a lot but he did nothing with it. He definitely looks like a player on the decline which is about right for a winger of his age.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I was thinking similar. If he didn’t take penalties when would he last have done anything against us? The 1-1 draw in Potters first season? He’s became a stat padder against us

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There was a moment in the first half when he dribbled the ball in to the box, ran into Veltman, who just stood there, Wilf fell over (natch) and we passed the ball out of the box.
It was relatively straightforward defending.

Commentator said something along the lines of when Zaha attacks the box, there's usually one of two outcomes.
What a load of old shit.
Since VAR has come in, he is no longer the threat he once was.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
There was a moment in the first half when he dribbled the ball in to the box, ran into Veltman, who just stood there, Wilf fell over (natch) and we passed the ball out of the box.
It was relatively straightforward defending.

Commentator said something along the lines of when Zaha attacks the box, there's usually one of two outcomes.
What a load of old shit.
Since VAR has come in, he is no longer the threat he once was.

And how much must they be paying him to do next to nothing?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
And how much must they be paying him to do next to nothing?

Yeah quite.
His wages also set a benchmark for the rest of the squad.
I believe they are paying £70k a week to Edouard. Which must feel really cheap to them, on the Zaha/Benteke scale.

If Eze proves to be the heir apparent to Wilf, he will be looking for a comparable wage at his next contract negotiation.
If they try to sign Gallagher at the end of the season, he will be looking for a Zaha-like salary.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Lovely bit of aural colour from Danny Kelly on this:

https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1632765600/1632774600/

Around about the 26 minute mark. Moose cuts back the studio after his final update and Kelly says:

"Contrasting emotions at the end there. Maupay is down with the Brighton players, throwing his shirt into the crowd. Wilf Zaha, and I think that you'll know this expression, with that face he puts on when things aren't going his way, stomping off the pitch in his Palace shirt."

Everyone who has ever seen Zaha play can conjure up the exact, lip trembling, pouting facial expression that Kelly is talking about. You've got to hand it to Zaha, he brings all the fun of Seventies ITV Saturday afternoon wrestling to these matches.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Yup, he was not up to much. Gallagher much more of a threat. And Tumble is not pleading for fouls every time he falls over any more - under instructions from Vierra maybe?

Not seen you post for ages. Hope all ok.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Do not under-estimate the effect of Veltman in all of this. Zaha was in his pocket again and is becoming his nemesis.

This is true. Zaha is looking less effective against us, because year on year we're getting better ... and he's peaked

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Palace are still a one man team, but that man is now Conor Gallagher, and he's only on loan (but Palace frew-an-frew, of course).

Saw a report recently that Barcalona would like a permanant deal in January window....... that would piss off the inbreds of SE25

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, if I had the money, I'd totally buy one of those.

Obviously mine would have "S ITS" as the number plate, which thankfully couldn't be misread or misconstrued in anyway.

I would too but I’d hunt down ALB 10 N as the plate and pay whatever it took. If I could afford the car I could probably afford the plate

Just checked that plate on DVLA history as I was sure it would be on a WBA or BHA fans car but nope it’s on a crappy Astra van with an MOT that expired in 2006 :down:

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here