Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan Sack Rosler - merged

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Don't let my comment seem like a dig at you because it's not, but this is the sort of statement which confuses me slightly.

Management is bizarre. It's the very reason why, when several candidates are mentioned for our job as manager, I never make a difinitive statement on them.

Take Steve Mcclaren for example. The ULTIMATE example. Brilliant at Middlesborough, Horrendous for England, amazing for Twente, terrible at Wolfsberg, Doing WONDERS at Derby.

So this "he is a good manager" or "he is a bad manager" never quite sits right with me. He was good at Brentford. He was bad at Wigan(seemingly).

Of course, you would perhaps suggest the good at Brentford shows he has something there but, again, it may have just been the case of perfect man at the perfect time. Much like Gus when he swooped in to our shitbag of a team at the time.

Unlucky with England, not given enough time with Wolfsburg. Always said he's an excellent manager.

Cast your mind back to that Croatia game, before or since I have never known an England side more depleted by injury. Had we not lost that he may have been remembered very differently.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Another club realising foreign managers struggle to get clubs out of this division, whose top? Oh yeah Derby Steve Mcclaren, Bournemouth Eddie Howe
last year
Pearson Leicester
Dyhce Burnley
Redknapp QPR

Some one will probably reply that's bullshit as I've seen posted on here before, but IMO and pretty much a fact except Di Matteo getting WBA promoted all the promoted sides over the last 10 years have had British managers, managers who know the division and what's required to get out of it

The same Rosler that sorted out the mess Owen Coyle was getting them into and got them into the playoffs as the form side last year? If they'd kept the experienced, British Owen Coyle, they'd be in League One already.

Bad example.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
The same Rosler that sorted out the mess Owen Coyle was getting them into and got them into the playoffs as the form side last year? If they'd kept the experienced, British Owen Coyle, they'd be in League One already.

Bad example.
The same Owen Coyle that got Burnley promoted to the premier league another successful British manager
ROSLER teams promoted to the prem = a big fat zero 0

It pays to have a British manager to get you out of the championship.... FACT

BIN THE FIN

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Wigan were when Rosler took over:
14th P18 22pts
end of the season:
5th P46 73pts

= 51 pts from 21 games

If he was in charge for the Norwich game and did the same for us we'd finish on 70pts :moo:

Wasn't Rosler the reason they made the playoffs last year?

Bad example.

http://experimental361.com/2014/11/13/a-few-words-on-wigan/

A few words on Wigan
This entry was posted on November 13, 2014, in Championship, Wigan. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment

After leading Wigan to an impressive 5th-placed finish last season, Uwe Rösler was sacked today with the Latics languishing in the Championship’s bottom three. With over a third of the season gone, another play-off push was looking increasingly unlikely: Wigan have only won 3 league games and 2 of those were at home to the only teams below them (although the third was away at current league leaders Derby).

But just how much has changed? I’ve had a quick look at some of the underlying numbers.
Attack

Last season Wigan created the fifth most chances in the Championship - an average of 14.3 shots per match – but that’s dropped noticeably to 12.7 so far this term, better than only five teams in the division. However the high volume of attempts at goal last time around actually helped mask a problem which has persisted into this campaign: shot conversion.

Wigan only ranked 15th for converting shots into goals in 2013/14, needing an average of 10.8 attempts to score each goal, and actually failed to score in more matches (17) than all but three other sides. Things haven’t changed much this season, with them ranking 18th for conversion (needing 12.0 shots per goal) and again only three sides have drawn more blanks than their 7.

While the goals have dried up slightly, it seems that Rösler never really got his side firing all that reliably, and without as many bites at the cherry their profligacy has been a lot more noticeable. The summer departures of central midfield creators Jordi Gomez and James McArthur - responsible for 11 goals and 8 assists between them - to the Premier League looks to have disrupted the supply line.

Gomez in particular seemed to have a positive influence on the attack: the team needed 9.6 shots to score each goal when he was on the pitch last season compared to 12.2 without him,
Defence

Wigan’s dominance last season extended to making life difficult for opposing strikers, with only 3 Championship sides allowing fewer shots at their goal than their 11.9; they also possessed the sixth most resilient defence, soaking up 11.4 shots per goal conceded.

This time around they’ve not lost their ability to restrict shots – they’ve actually faced slightly fewer (11.5 per match) and still the fourth lowest - but keeping them out has proved significantly more of a struggle. The Latics’ back line has conceded more readily, shot-for-shot, than 19 of the other 23 Championship sides with every 8.9 shots faced resulting in a goal on average.

Another reason that Wigan’s modest goal tally didn’t really matter last season was because they were the Football League’s best side at grinding out wins. They went on to take 92% of possible points in matches where they led (66 from a possible 72): the highest in all three divisions, but it’s been a very different story in 2014/15.

This season so far only 2 Championship teams have a lower share of points from winning positions than the 57% (12 from a possible 21) they’ve managed. Another way of looking at it is that the 9 points they’ve dropped is already 50% more than the 6 they let slip last season.
Summary

Overall, the Wigan of today don’t appear as far removed from last season’s promotion contenders as I expected – if anything they perhaps overachieved last time around - but they’ve clearly gone backwards and something needed to change – whether that was the manager remains to be seen.

:moo:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Unlucky with England, not given enough time with Wolfsburg. Always said he's an excellent manager.

Cast your mind back to that Croatia game, before or since I have never known an England side more depleted by injury. Had we not lost that he may have been remembered very differently.
He got his tactics all wrong against QPR in the PO final a team he was coaching at before he was appointed Derby manager. Had we managed to get to Wembley I would of fancied are chances Garcia had Rangers worked out low balls into the box any crosses with height and Dunne will happily head them all away.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
rosler will not manage brighton. His family is settled in greater manchester.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Was he not once upon a time settled with his family in Altenburg, Germany... !

I am not sure where you are from or live, but some people are prepared to leave the village.

It's the reason he went from Brentford to wigan, some people put their family life first.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think its a big mistake getting rid of Rosler, Wigan were the best side I have seen this season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here