Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan Sack Rosler - merged

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Another club realising foreign managers struggle to get clubs out of this division, whose top? Oh yeah Derby Steve Mcclaren, Bournemouth Eddie Howe
last year
Pearson Leicester
Dyhce Burnley
Redknapp QPR

Some one will probably reply that's bullshit as I've seen posted on here before, but IMO and pretty much a fact except Di Matteo getting WBA promoted all the promoted sides over the last 10 years have had British managers, managers who know the division and what's required to get out of it

Last edited:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Don't let my comment seem like a dig at you because it's not, but this is the sort of statement which confuses me slightly.

Management is bizarre. It's the very reason why, when several candidates are mentioned for our job as manager, I never make a difinitive statement on them.

Take Steve Mcclaren for example. The ULTIMATE example. Brilliant at Middlesborough, Horrendous for England, amazing for Twente, terrible at Wolfsberg, Doing WONDERS at Derby.

So this "he is a good manager" or "he is a bad manager" never quite sits right with me. He was good at Brentford. He was bad at Wigan(seemingly).

Of course, you would perhaps suggest the good at Brentford shows he has something there but, again, it may have just been the case of perfect man at the perfect time. Much like Gus when he swooped in to our shitbag of a team at the time.

The thing is last season he did very well with Wigan, but not this season. Have they lost players or made poor signings this season? I know they had a couple of decent players on loan from premiere league clubs last season and i guess that makes a difference. Its easier to manage a team if the players you have are better than the ones you are playing against. But you are right, is he now a bad manager, i don't think so.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Another club realising foreign managers struggle to get clubs out of this division, whose top? Oh yeah Derby Steve Mcclaren, Bournemouth Eddie Howe
last year
Pearson Leicester
Dyhce Burnley
Redknapp QPR

Some one will probably reply that's bullshit as I've seen posted on here before, but IMO and pretty much a fact except Di Matteo getting WBA promoted all the promoted sides over the last 10 years have been British, managers who know the division and what's required to get out of it

Around 90% of managers ever employed in the championship have been British.

stats can be skewed VERY easily.

The moment another foreign manager gets promoted, the foreign manager promotion percentage will improve dramatically.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I reckon Sami has got a couple of games left in him. He could step down to the squad and let Rosier run the team.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He's a classy, clever guy. Their scummy fans who've been calling him a Nazi recently truly don't deserve him. They'd be better suited to some of the true sophisticates of management, Einsteins like Stuart Pearce or Micky Adams.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
From the BBC report:

"However, they were weakened in the summer when key midfielder Jordi Gomes joined Sunderland on a free transfer and James McArthur moved to Crystal Palace for £7m.
Long-term injuries to Chris McCann and Ben Watson further hampered Wigan's start to the season and with just one win in 12 games, owner Dave Whelan has decided a change was needed."

Wow - what a lot of similarities...

Harsh sacking if you ask me. Maybe Bloom will realise that you can't sell our best players, replace them with average and then blame the manager for being low in the table. If Bloom sticks by his choice through this period it will be a greater man in my eyes.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Harsh sacking if you ask me. Maybe Bloom will realise that you can't sell our best players, replace them with average and then blame the manager for being low in the table. If Bloom sticks by his choice through this period it will be a greater man in my eyes.

Very harsh. I didn't mean to imply that because Whelan got rid of Rosler, then Bloom should sack Sami. It was a genuine comment on how similar the situations are. Player to Sunderland? Tick. Player sold for £7m? Tick (well, £8m). Long-term injuries to two important players? Tick (well, perhaps three in our case). One win in 12? Tick.

It will be interesting to see how the two clubs' fortunes compare if Bloom does stick with Sami.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Management is bizarre. It's the very reason why, when several candidates are mentioned for our job as manager, I never make a difinitive statement on them.

Take Steve Mcclaren for example. The ULTIMATE example. Brilliant at Middlesborough, Horrendous for England, amazing for Twente, terrible at Wolfsberg, Doing WONDERS at Derby.

So this "he is a good manager" or "he is a bad manager" never quite sits right with me. He was good at Brentford. He was bad at Wigan(seemingly).

I think the answer is that the manager is often not as important as the ownership and running of the club. If the club is well run the manager has much more chance of success regardless of ability.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Very harsh. I didn't mean to imply that because Whelan got rid of Rosler, then Bloom should sack Sami. It was a genuine comment on how similar the situations are. Player to Sunderland? Tick. Player sold for £7m? Tick (well, £8m). Long-term injuries to two important players? Tick (well, perhaps three in our case). One win in 12? Tick.

It will be interesting to see how the two clubs' fortunes compare if Bloom does stick with Sami.

Certainly a decent comparison. I prefer the route we have taken at the moment, stick with a guy and give him a chance to prove himself. Clubs are too quick to sack managers trying to please fans with quick fixes.

Aug 23, 2011
last year
Pearson Leicester
Dyhce Burnley
Redknapp QPR

Some one will probably reply that's bullshit as I've seen posted on here before, but IMO and pretty much a fact except Di Matteo getting WBA promoted all the promoted sides over the last 10 years have had British managers, managers who know the division and what's required to get out of it

Redknapp may have got QPR up however they shouldn't have needed to go via the playoffs with the players they had. They scraped up by the skin of their teeth

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
There is nothing wrong with the manager," Whelan told the Wigan Evening Post.

"A good manager doesn't become a bad manager overnight, and Uwe Rosler is a good manager.

"There is no question over his ability. He's solid. He's just not getting enough from the players at the moment. I spoke with Uwe on Friday and I told him I was 100 per cent behind him. He needs support from everyone, and he will get it.

"The players need to pull their fingers out and give it everything - not 80 per cent or 90 per cent, but 100 per cent."

From YESTERDAY! Incredible.

That's bizarre, he didn't mention breaking his leg in the FA cup final once

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think the answer is that the manager is often not as important as the ownership and running of the club. If the club is well run the manager has much more chance of success regardless of ability.

Totally disagree.
Top managers are like gold dust. They have that special ingredient. They are supreme man-managers. They are bold and clever and win most psychological battles. They win trophies, inspire and gain respect from players and keep most of the fans happy. Ask any Chelsea fan who is more important...Abramovich or Mourinho and to a man they will tell you that the latter is more important. Ok, the Russian provides the financial clout but if he moved aside, they would find someone else. They had to re-appoint Mourinho to try and recapture former glories.
There have probably been a handful of outstanding managers in the history of the British game. Chapman, Cullis, Ramsey, Shankley, Revie, Busby, Stein, Clough, Paisley, Robson, Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho. No one else comes close. Thats how valuable a top manager is. Count up the trophies this group have won between them. Its staggering. Owners and Chairmen come and go and many of them run decent clubs but these guys are close to irreplaceable. Without them, the history of their clubs would look vastly different.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
last year
Pearson Leicester
Dyhce Burnley
Redknapp QPR

thats because the majority of managers have been british

you might as well go and say that the majority of players who have been promoted from the championship since its inception have been british - it means **** all

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Blimey - of the bottom 10 clubs in the Championship 7 managers have been sacked this season already! (8 if you include 2 at Leeds)

Only ourselves, Millwall, and Rotherham still have their managers from the beginning of the season.

Says a lot about the state of modern football and the lack of patience most clubs have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here