Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is it that the better we look and the closer we get the more my knees tremble?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I had a dream the other night. I had a small fish swimming in my lunchbox (yes, I take a lunchbox to work. Deal with it). I decided to pour a little bit of red wine into the water, about half a glassful. When the fish swam in the wine, one of its eyes expoloded and it died.

If that doesn't clearly point to us marching off with the title, then I don't know what does.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Just done the predictor as well and have the top 3 looking like this:

1st Brighton 87
2nd SCC 83
3rd Hudds 81

Now I was being quite conservative with my predictions with remaining games as follows and despite this we still finish top:

win Draw lose

Brighton 7 7 3
SCC 10 4 3
Hudds 8 5 2

GrahamH65

May 19, 2009
I think the worry/nervousness/panic relates to the fact that we are top, have been for ages and we have something to lose. If we were currently outside the play-off places, the mentality would be completely different.

Unlike a number of you, I am not 100% confident. March is going to be very important. We should win at least four of the games. We have the potential to win them all. Come the end of that month, if we are still top with a minimum four point lead, then I will allow myself to be more confident. Until then, I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Simster - dont get all big and brave!! :)

You are wetting your pants and wearing nappies to games like the rest of us.
No, no I'm not. We're going up. It's the way we absolutely RUIN opposing teams at Withdean as opposed to squeaking past them that fills me with confidence. Honestly, MK Dons might be close but after that we will BATTER Yeovil away 3 or 4 nil, and then cruise past Carlisle, maybe 2-0 or 3-1. And NONE of the chasing teams will manage 6 points themselves.

And in just over one month's time, even YOU will agree with me.

Unlike a number of you, I am not 100% confident. March is going to be very important. We should win at least four of the games. We have the potential to win them all. Come the end of that month, if we are still top with a minimum four point lead, then I will allow myself to be more confident. Until then, I will remain cautiously optimistic.
Literally EVERY SINGLE month, somebody says "this month will be crucial". Apparently we weren't going to be top by the end of February and if we were within a point of top spot then we'd deffo go up. Well funnily enough, we've actually stretched our lead in that time by winning everywhere while others stumble. March sees the games stack up fast but we have the squad to cope and are FAR too good for pretty much every team we play. Only Oldham pose any threat.

Last edited:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The thing is we are playing in such a sublime manner that to not go up now would constitute an unprecedented loss of form and/or a series of injuries. We aren't a team that is reliant on one or two players; unlike some others in this league. In every position there is somebody to fill the gap and our forwards are sharing the goals out among them.

I'm with Brovion; it's not a matter of 'if', only 'when'.

I can't believe I've just written that.

GrahamH65

May 19, 2009
March covers (I think) our games in hand. By the end of the month, teams will have played pretty much the same number of games, so we won't have the "if we win our games in hand" scenario. That's why I think it's important and, if we make the most of the games in hand, why I'll be more confident. And, as always, it's just my opinion.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
In every position there is somebody to fill the gap.

Not much cover at full-back or goalkeeper - don't fancy playing Taricco or Brez for more than a few games at a time. But I agree otherwise and that's mostly just being pedantic.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The back page of today's SOUTHAMPTON DAILY ECHO opines, that:

"Tuesday's 0-0 draw at Hartlepool, means Saints now trail League One leaders Brighton by ten points. It looks increasingly likely that Saints, along with about six others, are now competing for just one automatic promotion spot".

HKFC likes this.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not much cover at full-back or goalkeeper - don't fancy playing Taricco or Brez for more than a few games at a time. But I agree otherwise and that's mostly just being pedantic.

Sorry - but rubbish. Brez got done over by the masters of roughing up keepers. Until quite recently the argument was raging about who was the better - Brex or Ankergren. He's a great #2 for League 1. And as for cover - Taricco did fine in three games when Calde was suspended and Kish or Bridcutt could also drop back as cover (as could EB). Not worried about them at all. Would be worried in Muzza get hurt though.

As for the OP, couldn't agree more. 30+ years of following the ALbion teach you to expect the worst even from a strong position. As John Cleese said in Clockwise (and I know I quote it quite often "It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand".

Loving the ride on the Gus Bus. Have fallen back in love with football - and The Albion (was never out of love but am enthused again) and like a kid every Saturday morning.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The back page of today's SOUTHAMPTON DAILY ECHO opines, that:

"Tuesday's 0-0 draw at Hartlepool, means Saints now trail League One leaders Brighton by ten points. It looks increasingly likely that Saints, along with about six others, are now competing for just one automatic promotion spot".

Music to my ears

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
If we are 5+ points clear at the end of March then they can give us the medals 'cos we'll be up.

I had a dream the other night. I had a small fish swimming in my lunchbox (yes, I take a lunchbox to work. Deal with it). I decided to pour a little bit of red wine into the water, about half a glassful. When the fish swam in the wine, one of its eyes expoloded and it died.

If that doesn't clearly point to us marching off with the title, then I don't know what does.

:lol:

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
You're Scottish. Of course they have.

Ha!!!!!!

May I refer the honourable gentleman to the sight of me hurtling round a sitting room when David Narie (spelling sic) volleyed into the top corner against Brazil to put the mighty tartan army 1-0 up.

Most of you will be cognescent of the fact that we were in fact murdered 5-1.

Rugby, football......all of them have battered me up the arse the moment that we look like winning.

This I confess, would seem to be different.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That smarmy git Adkins seems resigned to not catching us too

Adkins targets automatic rise | Sky Sports | Football | League One | News

I am desperately trying to enjoy every second of this season as I doubt I shall see too many more where we are so dominant or play such exceptional football. It isn't too far-fetched to imagine that the way Gus has us playing right now will change the way lower league teams (or some of them anyway) approach the game which is in itself quite remarkable.

Interesting test on Saturday against a team whose manager boasts that they play better football and pass the ball better than any side in league one. Maintain our two points a game average on Saturday and go on to stay unbeaten at home and we can be as sure as anyone can ever be that we will end the season exactly where we are now

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
I was in Southampton today for a meeting and talking to Bournemouth and Southampton fans, they were all conceding that we would win the title now! Even that cocky git Atkins, when interviewed after their Hartlepool 0-0 draw in the week, was pissed off when he heard Brighton had won again. I too keep staring at the league table for hours on end.....Thank God Gus has still got his feet on the ground!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here