Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I got the pocket thing right about Dunk but I think that Connolly will grab all the airtime tonight. He might not get a mention ....... [emoji853]
Today Dunk got what his England hopes needed.

Cracking long pass to feet, that then went forward again.

Too often, over the past 2 and a bit seasons, the winger/striker in that position has received that pass and almost instantly played it backwards to the full back.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Pretty much any centre back in the Prem should be ahead of Stones, even the foreigners. He;s a walking disaster.

True, but he'll still be ahead of Dunk in the England CB pecking order. Hopefully I'm wrong, as Southgate does look to be changing a few things in the England setup by leaving out some 'big' names.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Wonder what Southgate was thinking seeing that stunning pass from Dunk to Connolly yesterday.

Absolute joke he’s not in the squad, and tbf Dan Burn should be considered as well.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Keane is a brain fart on Southgate’s part. He’s ex Man Utd, went for massive money to a team supposedly trying to break into the top 6 and played for Southgate for the u21’s so he’s just being a bit lazy picking him really.

The Mings thing though is an absolutely mystery. I thought Southgate was an intelligent bloke but he seems to have been posessed by Villa social media fans. I’m going to lower my previous description of Mings from average premier league centre back, to poor premier league centre back. He’s also only been playing as a centre back for half a season. His call up is ridiculous and makes Southgate look stupid in all honesty.

Both Dunk and Tarkowski should be in ahead of Keane and Mings. It clearly is a club bias thing which is disappointing as I didn’t think Southgate would be like that. And if Kane had anything anout him, he’d be telling GS that Dunk has to be in the squad after he owned him yesterday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Keane is a brain fart on Southgate’s part. He’s ex Man Utd, went for massive money to a team supposedly trying to break into the top 6 and played for Southgate for the u21’s so he’s just being a bit lazy picking him really.

The Mings thing though is an absolutely mystery. I thought Southgate was an intelligent bloke but he seems to have been posessed by Villa social media fans. I’m going to lower my previous description of Mings from average premier league centre back, to poor premier league centre back. He’s also only been playing as a centre back for half a season. His call up is ridiculous and makes Southgate look stupid in all honesty.

Both Dunk and Tarkowski should be in ahead of Keane and Mings. It clearly is a club bias thing which is disappointing as I didn’t think Southgate would be like that. And if Kane had anything anout him, he’d be telling GS that Dunk has to be in the squad after he owned him yesterday.

I agree. Dunk and Tarkwowski are quality defenders, seemingly always in the right place at the right time. In Dunk’s, a great record considering he’s spent the last 26 months in an often struggling team, getting battered. Plus his distribution is quality.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I thought Southgate was an intelligent bloke

Easily done. Same 'style' as Chris Hughton: wear a suit, no histrionics and speak politely. If they do that, it is tricky to gauge intelligence. Chris clearly has plenty but I'm so sure about Southgate. I blame him for the Croatia result.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Because he plays for an unfashionable club and he didn’t come through the england youth set up. If he played for one of the big 6 he would certainly be in there now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One of his big problems is that he has to spend too much of his time covering Burn and Webster that his game doesnt get recognised.

Insightful stuff BG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here