Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Broadly speaking (and taking off the blue and white glasses and acknowledging that on a Brighton messageboard this will be an unpopular view) - yes it is. If I wanted to be unkind (which I don't obviously) I'd say Dunk has already won two England caps - his first and his last. He's great, and he could get better under Potter, but at the moment he is just short of true international class and I don't think he's the type of player Southgate wants. Plus he hardly set the world alight in his debut against the USA. I was willing him to be good and, IMO, he just came up short. He was ok, it wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't the level of performance to automatically warrant another one.

You seemed to want to appear clever more than you didn't want to be unkind. Had you not, you could have completely left out that line. 'True international class' is a meaningless concept. As a footballer, Dunk is better than any number of centre halfs who have played for England over the years. If Maguire was out for a tournament he would likely be picked and would equip himself just as well against international players as he does against those same players week in week out when they are playing for their clubs. What he is is a known quantity and Southgate is obviously of the view that others can do what he is good at adequately and may be able to offer more in other areas. He doesn't seem to put as high a value on the positioning, blocking and heading that Dunk is known to excel at than he does on technique and pace. This could be seen as a failing in Southgate as a manager. He should be aware that he will need different options against different teams and while it may be useful to have Stones strolling out from the back and Walker playing out of position but utilising his pace against lesser teams, it would also be sensible to have the option of more assured defenders to play against teams that are likely to put you under a lot of pressure.

Yoda

English & European
Ignore Dunk for the minute.

How the hell has Ben White not been selected for the Under 21s, yet Trevoh Chalobah (on loan from Chelsea to a struggling Huddersfield) has?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Ignore Dunk for the minute.

How the hell has Ben White not been selected for the Under 21s, yet Trevoh Chalobah (on loan from Chelsea to a struggling Huddersfield) has?

I don't think he's eligible. He's 22 in November.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
He has never played in a PL team that has won consistently that is not a criticism of him but if he played for a top 10 club he would be in the squad more regularly. Tomori certainly deserves his place in the squad in my opinion.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How many times does Stones have to ruin our chances of getting into a competitive international final by making key mistakes in Semi-Finals before he is dropped from the England team permanently?

He has done this twice.

That’s enough for me, he should never play for England again.

Would you still pick him if he got the hat-rick of awful errors in the Euro’s and denied us the final at Wembley due to another Semi-gaff?

Big Game = Big Pressure = A Stones mistake leading to us conceding.

Honestly - I give up sometimes!!!!

Just a tendency to pick Maguire and Stones as they are the best players, ignoring mistakes. Tendency not outright endorsement.

Despite thinking that three at the back is flawed, partly because of the inevitably of mistakes, I think Dunk has played a more influential part this season i.e. better.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not quick enough to be the covering defender and not dominant enough to be the big man in a back four. As he is all purpose and can play both roles, he is an ideal squad member for England.

The same traits as Maguire who can read the game better (arguable).

I would tend to pick Maguire and Stones.

Not sure about the last line, but agree with the rest. I also think that, because Maguire is first pick, it's to the detriment of Dunk. Maguire is slow, and this is Dunk's weakest aspect. I think Southgate probably wants quick players around Maguire -- which might be why Keane gets in, not that I'd noticed that he's rapid, whereas Gomez and Tomori certainly are.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
For me it's simple, Lewis is at the wrong club, if he played for a top half side he would be a regular in the England squad.

But he doesn’t play for a top half club (till we get going) and there is a reason for that...

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
This summer must be the first one for three years when he hasn't been given a new five year deal - Duffy I think had the same last summer too

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not sure about the last line, but agree with the rest. I also think that, because Maguire is first pick, it's to the detriment of Dunk. Maguire is slow, and this is Dunk's weakest aspect. I think Southgate probably wants quick players around Maguire -- which might be why Keane gets in, not that I'd noticed that he's rapid, whereas Gomez and Tomori certainly are.

Good points. But Keane is not rapid.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Who actually cares? The whole squad is completely depressing. Worst midfield we must have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here