Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why is Dunk consistently overlooked by England?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Insightful stuff BG
Amazing isn't it, he's not been noticed because of the 4 games he's played with Webster.

Yesterday's loss has clearly effected BG, even his obvious WUM bollox is below par.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One of his big problems is that he has to spend too much of his time covering Burn and Webster that his game doesnt get recognised.

They played well, again. Still in a formative stage as a partnership, it's going very well. Helped in part by so much energy in CM, meaning they don't face the one-way traffic of the last 2 seasons.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm at a loss to understand why some people find this so difficult - he didn't play for the England U21s or come through the England Youth set-up, so he's obviously not suitable for international football. If Southgate can understand this, why can't anyone else?

40 gallon whoosh awaiting the first knee-jerker!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Southgate on squad selection:

“It’s difficult because in a lot of sports, selection is very straightforward: you hit a time and you’re in or you’re out,” he said. “We have to balance what we think a player’s capable of. There are some that might be having a brief spell for their club that is very good, but we don’t think they can adapt their game to international football or we think there’s a limit on where they might be able to go."

Having called up Dunk, he obviously rates him but presumably he feels others have higher potential.

More here https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/oct/05/gareth-southgate-england-squad-selection-euro-2020

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
OK let's try this one. Dunky's not getting in the squad because Southgate and the England set-up are VERY pissed of with Ashworth for deserting them for little old Brighton. TBH wouldn't be surprised if there is some animosity there.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Selfishly I'm more than happy with him not being selected. Once he's spent time amongst big six team squad players, playing for little old Brighton will be put into sharper focus in his mind.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Selfishly I'm more than happy with him not being selected. Once he's spent time amongst big six team squad players, playing for little old Brighton will be put into sharper focus in his mind.
All being well I think the club will be looking to move him on, in the Summer anyway.

Him and Duffy are rather blocking the production line.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
To be ultra critical.

He is a Left sided CB. Got to be better than McGuire to get in and that is questionable.

To BGs point he does make Burn and Webster look good and I think that is a bit of the issue.
With better CBs alongside he doesnt need to cover as much and as such, he takes risks and his positioning can be exposed.

Has played in a very deep defensive line for the past 3 seasons. At international level his pace could be exposed.

Can be rash

Saying all that, I personally would have him in as McGuire backup. The challenge is that LCB isnt the England issue, its RCB and RB which is weak.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Currently watching the Saints v Chelsea game and how Tomori gets a call up in front of Dunk is baffling! Tomori (currently) isn’t half the player Dunk is.

It just shows what a plank Southgate is!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be ultra critical.

He is a Left sided CB. Got to be better than McGuire to get in and that is questionable.

To BGs point he does make Burn and Webster look good and I think that is a bit of the issue.
With better CBs alongside he doesnt need to cover as much and as such, he takes risks and his positioning can be exposed.

Has played in a very deep defensive line for the past 3 seasons. At international level his pace could be exposed.

Can be rash

Saying all that, I personally would have him in as McGuire backup. The challenge is that LCB isnt the England issue, its RCB and RB which is weak.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

So why is error-strewn Keane, pilloried by Evertonians for his club performances and glaring failings, in the England squad and first 11?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here