Why HAS Dick Tight and his book been BANNED from the AMEX ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
American Express have never been a company that has shown any interest in sponsoring football clubs as a means of promoting their business. The Albion project is all about their place in the life of Brighton.

How long have they been in the city and how long have they been sponsoring the club!!!!!

There are probably plenty of examples of companies that have had no interest in sponsoring football clubs but now do. Might have something to the global exposure you get in the premier league. Of course, equally it might not. I'll leave each one of us to draw their own conclusions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How long have they been in the city and how long have they been sponsoring the club!!!!!

There are probably plenty of examples of companies that have had no interest in sponsoring football clubs but now do. Might have something to the global exposure you get in the premier league. Of course, equally it might not. I'll leave each one of us to draw their own conclusions.

In terms of how they are perceived as a brand, the Amex stadium at Withdean would not really hack it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You've answered your own question.

But that doesn't follow that American Express would automatically have been interested in sponsoring the Albion with the new stadium coming. It took an almighty amount of work to get them to sign up.

So you agree that they aren't as altruistic as some have made out. And of course, I'm well aware it doesn't automatically follow they would sign up but the new stadium and grand plans are probably a perfect fit with them and an image they want to foster. God bless those that eventually secured the deal.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
So you agree that they aren't as altruistic as some have made out. And of course, I'm well aware it doesn't automatically follow they would sign up but the new stadium and grand plans are probably a perfect fit with them and an image they want to foster. God bless those that eventually secured the deal.

I'm not sure of your point.

If you're saying this is mostly a business deal, it's a pretty lousy one from their point of view.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
In terms of how they are perceived as a brand, the Amex stadium at Withdean would not really hack it.

That's the point isn't it. If their motives were purely altruistic then the state of the stadium at Withdean would be immaterial as they would be helping the community by supporting the only league club, at the time, in Sussex.

I assume you're talking about the infamous "I wouldn't p**s on LB if he were on fire" - if not then I'm a tad worried that the club thinks it can lean on posters. Personally if they tried it with me then I'd tell them where to go.
No. I'm talking about a much more recent occasion. My earlier spat was amicably resolved years ago.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure of your point.

If you're saying this is mostly a business deal, it's a pretty lousy one from their point of view.

You could argue the same about most sponsorship deals but companies still get involved. Very difficult to measure exactly how much a company benefits from any sponsorship deal.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's the point isn't it. If their motives were purely altruistic then the state of the stadium at Withdean would be immaterial as they would be helping the community by supporting the only league club, at the time, in Sussex.

Maybe but I totally understand why a company like American Express would not want to hang their name on Withdean.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I don't think American Express needs the exposure of the Premier League.

It's bigger and longer-standing than that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I would say American Express is more global than the Premier League.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No offence intended but are you really that important

That important? I'll have you know that he is worshiped like a God in some parts of the Lewes/Firle area. Mothers bring their offspring from far and wide for him to kiss, in the hope that a small amount of his intelligence and good looks may rub off on them, he even has a day named after him. (Backs away reverently, while bowing low)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That important? I'll have you know that he is worshiped like a God in some parts of the Lewes/Firle area. Mothers bring their offspring from far and wide for him to kiss, in the hope that a small amount of his intelligence and good looks may rub off on them, he even has a day named after him. (Backs away reverently, while bowing low)

Blimey, you must be impressed, that's the longest ever post I've seen from you I think.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
That's a bold statement to suggest that if it wasn't for AITC we wouldn't have the Amex.

Thought it only became free when it was sponsored by Legal and General! Having said that, surely that was a good move with the Amex on the horizon and needing to fill it. The club needed to claw back some of

My point was that we got the planning permission for the Amex Community Stadium largely on the back of the work the club did in the community. It was one of the biggest flags they waived.

L&G's sponsorship never amounted to the sort of money that would have sponsored 20,000 junior members. TB bankrolled this when L&G pulled their sponsorship. Doing this long term was clearly not cost effective but they really need to get a scheme up and running that is both sustainable and of interest to youngsters.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I cannot wait for the release of the book, and will buy it, one I have available cash from one of the local bookshops. However, I would have brought it from the club shop, so i can give a little back to the club.

I wonder if Dick mentions some horrible little oik that challenged him in Hove Town Hall one evening?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Possibly, you need to remember that around 75% of our fans at the Amex have never heard of him and will not really understand the past.

I think that this is wrong. When still at Withdean the club had a database of getting on for 40,000 names of people who had had a commercial relationship with the club - 30,000 of them went to Cardiff for the play-off final - and I'd guess that the great majority of today's adult season ticket holders were on that database and would therefore know about the club's struggles and Dick Knight. In fact, the database was the basis of the club's ticket marketing in 2009 - 2011 and I doubt that there are more than a couple of thousand complete Albion virgins among the club's present adult season ticket holders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports