Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does Bloom escape criticism on here?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Because he simply doesn't deserve it. He is the guy who paid for the new stadium. I didn't notice anyone else offer at the time. Not unreasonably, having stuffed all that money in, he leaves much of the day to day stuff to his managers. So would I if I was worth as much as him. To me he's not far short of a hero for so doing - and yes, I think the world of Dick Knight too.

think the banks might have something to say about that, I think a smaller stadium might have been on the cards with others but he stepped in and made it what it is, he had backing whereas the others did not, something has to change otherwise we will never fill it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Everyone is quick to criticise Barber, Burke, Hyypia and Jones yet the man who employs these people is forever talked about like some sort of god. I fully understand that without Bloom we could well be in a very dark place, but why does he escape the criticism? He made a promise to fans that by the end of the transfer window we would have a squad capable of finishing in the play offs, when instead we have a team that would struggle to make the play offs in the womens league. Im not saying for 1 minute that he should go, course not. I just think its unfair to blame everyone else when in reality the buck stops with him. For what its worth i feel really sorry for Sami Hyypia, He was sold this vision that quite frankly does'nt exist.

This seeks to presume you've correctly read the issues of what's going on and what's not going as well as it could or should be.

Everyone has their own take on what the issues are, and some might be apparent and obvious. The stand-out one is of course that the team is mis-firing.

But legitimate criticism must take into account the fact that (a) those who wish to criticise understand the structure and hierarchy (and I'm not sure people do), (b) everyone knows each individual's remit, and where does that remit cross over with someone else's (c) the extent to which a given individual is responsible for a given task or issue where (d) some responsibilities are shared out amongst a team of board members.

For example, David Burke, as Head of Football Operations, is responsible for setting the playing budget - and that doesn't just include salaries and contracts, but the cost of running the training facilities, the medical staff, the acquisition of equipment, insurance and everything to do with players' professional requirements. That said, he works very closely with Tony Bloom, Paul Barber, Martin Perry, David Jones et the rest of the board as part of a bigger team. And yet those individuals have other responsibilities too, of course. So where exactly can the finger-pointing be directed at then, assuming you wished to round on that particular issue...?

Such criticisms of the running of the club ONLY become acute when the team isn't playing as well as it could or should be, nor is it picking up the points. If we're top of the table, no-one seeks to know that there is an issue. And yet, when we were flying away to achieve promotion by the play-offs over the past three seasons, the books say we've been making lorry-size losses. But they were never questioned until the figures came out, because no-one knew the intimate details of the day-to-day running of the club. To know EXACTLY where the problems lie is to intimately know the structure, hierarchy and professional relationships of those deemed responsible for running the club. In this instance, the club feel it has identified that problem, and has sought - and is continuing to seek - to remedy this issue.

Until such time as the full day-to-day structure, goings-on and responsibilities are fully understood in fine detail, the sureness of any finger-pointing can't be absolute.

So to finally answer your question, Tony has received enough of an advance pardon by being as generous as he has been (and will continue to be) to preclude him from any apparent criticism. But, in my opinion, to know whether on a day-to-day basis he is part of any ongoing problem, is to intimately know what I've suggested above.

My educated guess, on the back of what I've just said, is of course that Tony is - and always will be - part of the solution.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
think the banks might have something to say about that, I think a smaller stadium might have been on the cards with others but he stepped in and made it what it is, he had backing whereas the others did not, something has to change otherwise we will never fill it.

Err, how do you whether TB got a bank loan to fund the club? If he did it's not in the public domain. The club's accounts show that the cash they've received came from TB.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
For me, it's simply that he's a fan like the rest of us, and has done more than the rest of us (financially). In that sense I don't see why he should be critiscised any more than any other fan. Or, in fact, as much.

Shows that you know bugger all that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

When the Hotel is up and running the empty seats could be used to dry all the sheets and towels.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
This seeks to presume you've correctly read the issues of what's going on and what's not going as well as it could or should be.

Everyone has their own take on what the issues are, and some might be apparent and obvious. The stand-out one is of course that the team is mis-firing.

But legitimate criticism must take into account the fact that (a) those who wish to criticise understand the structure and hierarchy (and I'm not sure people do), (b) everyone knows each individual's remit, and where does that remit cross over with someone else's (c) the extent to which a given individual is responsible for a given task or issue where (d) some responsibilities are shared out amongst a team of board members.

For example, David Burke, as Head of Football Operations, is responsible for setting the playing budget - and that doesn't just include salaries and contracts, but the cost of running the training facilities, the medical staff, the acquisition of equipment, insurance and everything to do with players' professional requirements. That said, he works very closely with Tony Bloom, Paul Barber, Martin Perry, David Jones et the rest of the board as part of a bigger team. And yet those individuals have other responsibilities too, of course. So where exactly can the finger-pointing be directed at then, assuming you wished to round on that particular issue...?

Such criticisms of the running of the club ONLY become acute when the team isn't playing as well as it could or should be, nor is it picking up the points. If we're top of the table, no-one seeks to know that there is an issue. And yet, when we were flying away to achieve promotion by the play-offs over the past three seasons, the books say we've been making lorry-size losses. But they were never questioned until the figures came out, because no-one knew the intimate details of the day-to-day running of the club. To know EXACTLY where the problems lie is to intimately know the structure, hierarchy and professional relationships of those deemed responsible for running the club. In this instance, the club feel it has identified that problem, and has sought - and is continuing to seek - to remedy this issue.

Until such time as the full day-to-day structure, goings-on and responsibilities are fully understood in fine detail, the sureness of any finger-pointing can't be absolute.

So to finally answer your question, Tony has received enough of an advance pardon by being as generous as he has been (and will continue to be) to preclude him from any apparent criticism. But, in my opinion, to know whether on a day-to-day basis he is part of any ongoing problem, is to intimately know what I've suggested above.

My educated guess, on the back of what I've just said, is of course that Tony is - and always will be - part of the solution.

Sensible post :thumbsup:

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU

I'm sure you're a lovely bloke but you really do know bugger all about The Albion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
We all know Burke is a problem .

Don't even begin to flatter yourself that you speak for everyone on here. I have no idea whether David Burke is a problem or not, because we're not privy to the intimate goings on inside the Albion (not that that seems to impair your thinking in the slightest), but on balance, I prefer to take a considered approach and work that out for myself. Believe it or not, Kev, slightly less than 100% of posters agree with you, and I for one will state unequivocally that you do not speak in my voice.

The truth is, despite your belief to the contrary, none of us know whether Burke is a problem. You just choose to suspect it, which is a very different thing altogether.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Don't even begin to flatter yourself that you speak for everyone on here. I have no idea whether David Burke is a problem or not, because we're not privy to the intimate goings on inside the Albion (not that that seems to impair your thinking in the slightest), but on balance, I prefer to take a considered approach and work that out for myself. Believe it or not, Kev, slightly less than 100% of posters agree with you, and I for one will state unequivocally that you do not speak in my voice.

The truth is, despite your belief to the contrary, none of us know whether Burke is a problem. You just choose to suspect it, which is a very different thing altogether.

Lets see who gets the chop soon, then we will know who the gaffer thinks is the problem or problems.....Personally I would say any man who signs Colunga and Baldock, when we already have CMS is a problem. Burke is in control of player recruitment, yet he doesn't seem to have a clue what or who we need. The reason we are where we are is because we are weaker in goal, at left back, out wide and up front, than we were last season. Haven't we been told a million times that Burke in in charge of signings....I would say that he is a problem, big style and hasn't got a clue what is needed in this division.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lets see who gets the chop soon, then we will know who the gaffer thinks is the problem or problems.....Personally I would say any man who signs Colunga and Baldock, when we already have CMS is a problem. Burke is in control of player recruitment, yet he doesn't seem to have a clue what or who we need. The reason we are where we are is because we are weaker in goal, at left back, out wide and up front, than we were last season. Haven't we been told a million times that Burke in in charge of signings....I would say that he is a problem, big style and hasn't got a clue what is needed in this division.

Fair enough. That's your opinion. What you're not entitled to presume is that your opinion is shared by everybody else.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What a strange thread.

Tony Bloom owns the club and has put hundreds of millions into it, financed a new stadium and training ground and left all the tools in place for the club to be successful. The jury is out on Hyppia as a manager I agree but his last two appointments haven't done too badly and it isn't as if money hasn't been made available to make new signings.

The fact that the strikers we have signed haven't scored any goals is the responsibility of themselves as players and the people who run the team. I'm sure a lot of people on here would get upset if TB started interfering in team selection or deciding which players to sign, so I'm really struggling to understand where the criticism of him should come from.

By all means criticise players, coaches and managers as paid employees who are not performing up to standard if you wish, but the guy who owns and finances the club with a massive interest free shareholder loan and is a lifelong fan?????????

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Fair enough. That's your opinion. What you're not entitled to presume is that your opinion is shared by everybody else.

Ok point taken. Let's put it another way then. If people can't see that Burke is a problem, then they want to wake up and smell the coffee. That's not to say he is the only problem, but until that problem is sorted out I can't see us getting a decent manager, just a string of muppets. The only way out of this mess, is to go tried and tested. Personally if I was Bloom, I would be on the blower to Brian McDermott. After I had had a quick chat to Tony Pullis(although that might be a short conversation).

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I thought player recruitment was done in conjunction with the manager who retains the right of veto regarding any particular player?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

No we haven't been told a million times he is in charge of signings. Please learn his role, he gave a nice interview on the radio a while back.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
What makes the difference to me, not only has he put in a shed load but is one of us. Many other clubs have investors but could you trust them? Cardiff redbirds spring to mind. I trust him to correct any mistakes he might make and that all decisions are for the benefit of the club.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ok point taken. Let's put it another way then. If people can't see that Burke is a problem, then they want to wake up and smell the coffee. That's not to say he is the only problem, but until that problem is sorted out I can't see us getting a decent manager, just a string of muppets. The only way out of this mess, is to go tried and tested. Personally if I was Bloom, I would be on the blower to Brian McDermott. After I had had a quick chat to Tony Pullis(although that might be a short conversation).

Telling everybody else that if they don't share your opinion, then they're the ones who need to "wake up and smell the coffee"?

Your arrogance really is quite something.

By the way: if I was Tony Pulis, and you, being the multi-millionaire chairman of a Championship football club, couldn't even be bothered to spell my name right, I'd tell you where to poke it before you'd even poured the aforementioned coffee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here