Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why does Bloom escape criticism on here?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Everyone is quick to criticise Barber, Burke, Hyypia and Jones yet the man who employs these people is forever talked about like some sort of god. I fully understand that without Bloom we could well be in a very dark place, but why does he escape the criticism? He made a promise to fans that by the end of the transfer window we would have a squad capable of finishing in the play offs, when instead we have a team that would struggle to make the play offs in the womens league. Im not saying for 1 minute that he should go, course not. I just think its unfair to blame everyone else when in reality the buck stops with him. For what its worth i feel really sorry for Sami Hyypia, He was sold this vision that quite frankly does'nt exist.

Did he say what transfer window !!

Do NOT bite the hand that feeds you.

This silly animal did, and is now a pair of shoes.

Is that what you want? Cos that's what'll happen.

Paid-100-is-for-everyone1.jpg

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Tony Bloom by and large escapes criticism on here because of the amount of money he has invested in the infrastructure of the club, where would we be without him? Without TB I doubt very much if the Amex would ever have been built as the previous DK / MP regime were struggling to persuade any bank to lend us the money to finance the stadium. Even if they had been successful in securing a loan imagine the money that it would've been sucked out of the club on an annual basis just to service it, say a £100 million loan with a 10% interest charge would've cost the club £10m a year (admittedly these are 'bag of a fag packet' calculations but I'm sure the general point about interest payments is a valid one). Plus would they have then been able to expand the stadium from 22k to 30k seats, not to mention the 'high specification' finish to the stadium and giant scoreboards and VIP style padded seats.

For the above reason alone TB is deservedly immune to criticism on here. On the operational / football side of things he employs the best he can within the budget he has, agreed at the moment on the football side of things its not going to plan but in football things can change very quickly, a resounding win on Saturday with our 'midget strikers' amongst the goals will go a long way to lifting the doom and gloom (merchants).

TB deserves the gratitude and respect from every Albion fan out there for the long standing legacy he has built and without him think of the type of stadium we would be watching our football in and the types of players we would be watching.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'll criticise him for his driving. On Saturday he drove down the outside of the longish queue on the University slip road and then cut into the correct lane to exit the main road at the last minute, diving into a small gap. He then switched to the inside lane and drove up to the top past all the queuing traffic again and cut in at the roundabout.

He's Tony Bloom, he doesn't do queuing. Nice car too

I'll vouch for that, after he cut me up leaving an away ground. For a few seconds the car was full of expletives..." what the hell does that silly person think they are doing " etc....and then the sudden realisation that it was TB.
...and do you know....we let him off...." Oh, bloody hell, its our chairman...so thats alright then! "

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Bloom has invested over 100m in a terrific stadium, apparently it is an interest free loan. Not content with that he invests over 30m on one of the best equipped training grounds in the country. He is still stamping up money with losses, and has now invested to the tune of 200m.
I think the results of the new training facilities are bearing fruit, perhaps not for the U21's, but the U18's who are flying at the moment with recent wins over Chelsea and Spurs.
This is a man that watches the Albion, is not a far away owner, who has been spotted on train platforms for far away games.
I would say he is a FAN, a fan who is still bank rolling the club after massive investment to make the club unrecognisable from 4 years ago.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Everyone is quick to criticise Barber, Burke, Hyypia and Jones yet the man who employs these people is forever talked about like some sort of god. I fully understand that without Bloom we could well be in a very dark place,

I think you've answered your own question, right there.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Bloom has invested over 100m in a terrific stadium, apparently it is an interest free loan. Not content with that he invests over 30m on one of the best equipped training grounds in the country. He is still stamping up money with losses, and has now invested to the tune of 200m.
I think the results of the new training facilities are bearing fruit, perhaps not for the U21's, but the U18's who are flying at the moment with recent wins over Chelsea and Spurs.
This is a man that watches the Albion, is not a far away owner, who has been spotted on train platforms for far away games.
I would say he is a FAN, a fan who is still bank rolling the club after massive investment to make the club unrecognisable from 4 years ago.

Couldn't be arsed to answer such a pointless question, but if I had, my reply would have been along the same lines.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not necessarily true, everyone is replaceable, may not be as decent but certainly replaceable.

They don't grow on trees I'll tell you that much. No certainty at all about replacing him - have you seen the state of some clubs then have had changes of ownership!?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

All of this. He has earned exemption from any criticism from me.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I dont think Bloom is above criticism and his recruitment of senior figures at the club isnt universally popular or indeed proving to be as successful as im sure he would have hoped however we would have to experience something completely disastrous and it would have to be directly attributable to Bloom for him to be subject of any sustained criticism.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Because people believe that because he has invested a fortune, he is above reproach and reserves the right to make one bad appointment after another. I believe it takes a bigger man to admit he got it wrong and make a change, instead of keep heading down a dead end street. We all know Burke is a problem and it would appear the appointment of Hyypia was a mistake. Why a man who is clearly a very clever person, doesn't go with a tried and tested formula is beyond me. It's as if he is trying to prove he is smarter than the average bear, which the appointment of Poyet at the time clearly was a very smart move. Decisions since then have been indifferent to say the least and we are clearly going backwards. We are further away from the prem now, than we have been at any time in the last four years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here