Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we lack the killer instinct?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I just want to say that I don't think my original post is negative. It's not being negative to want more. Greedy maybe, but not negative.

The first two seasons at the Amex we had a winning mentality. We got used to winning, and started to expect it every game. But last season we were crap in comparison, and that has taken away the positive attitude we had the previous two seasons. We need to start thinking positive again, and start expecting to win. The club have shown real intent with the signings they have made and the new contract for Dunk. We need to start believing too.

Some people have made some good points on here. We are starting to tire at the end of games because out midfield is being run ragged. But keeping two up front, and adding pace to the wings (which we lacked last season) we should be able to push for that second goal earlier. Then we can change to a 4-5-1 formation and shaw up the midfield and close out the game.

It's also been pointed out that with-out the last minute goals in the first two games we would have been sitting on 3 points at the time of my post, and a lot of people would be saying that we had not progressed since last season. They say the table doesn't lie, but that is only relevant at the end of the season. Arsenal and Chelsea are both currently mid table in the Premier league on 4 points, yet none of us believe they will be there at the end of the season. So is there really any point looking at the table at the moment, even if it is nice to see us at the top. I do think our current position flatters us , but I also believe we have made a positive start. I think we can take the momentum we have forward, and start to build our confidence (something we severely lacked last season). If we can do that, then there's no reason we shouldn't be in the same league position we are now at the end of the season.

The point you raised originally in this post is a good one. I do remember Poyets team not scoring many goals, but we have had chances that have not been converted and have to thank Stockdale for some great goalkeeping against Blackburn, who I believe had more shots on target than us. I am grateful and very happy at the wins, but they have all been marginal as pointed out. This is a very well matched league and we do need to secure wins with opportunities afforded us, as we could easily find ourselves on the other side of the margin. Ipswich will be a telling game.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why is do we always sit back after we score and invite the opposition to try and equalise? We seem to lack that killer instinct to kill teams off that you need to be a top team. We scored in the first minute, and then sat back for the next 89 minutes. It happened too many times last season, and if we don't change our mentality, it will again this season.
We play in the most competitive league in the world, just be grateful we are getting the points at the moment. Championship sides are spending big money this season making it even more competitive hence all the draws in the first few games of the season.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
The point you raised originally in this post is a good one. I do remember Poyets team not scoring many goals, but we have had chances that have not been converted and have to thank Stockdale for some great goalkeeping against Blackburn, who I believe had more shots on target than us. I am grateful and very happy at the wins, but they have all been marginal as pointed out. This is a very well matched league and we do need to secure wins with opportunities afforded us, as we could easily find ourselves on the other side of the margin. Ipswich will be a telling game.
Aren't we overlooking some excellent goalkeeping from Raya too which denied us increasing our lead?

Tonight just proved my original point. We sent out our second 11 (which would have been our first 11 last season), which showed (1) that we either didn't take the league cup seriously, or (2) just pure arrogance. Either way, we got beat. And once again we were one up, and couldn't hold onto the lead, against a side we should obviously beat. But fair play to Walsall, as they were really up for it, and obviously wanted it more. They deserved the win. Good luck to them!

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Tonight just proved my original point. We sent out our second 11 (which would have been our first 11 last season), which showed (1) that we either didn't take the league cup seriously, or (2) just pure arrogance. Either way, we got beat. And once again we were one up, and couldn't hold onto the lead, against a side we should obviously beat. But fair play to Walsall, as they were really up for it, and obviously wanted it more. They deserved the win. Good luck to them!
A side we should obviously beat? That just smacks of arrogance in itself. Have a word

Last edited:

I have to eat humble pie after the last game. I think we showed fantastic fight and determination to win that game. Going two up so early was always going to be tough defensively, and we just didn't have the answers when they came at us in the second half. But fair play to the lads to getting us back into the lead after they levelled. That was the sort of game we would have lost 3-2 last season, so I'm very happy we are now starting to show that winning mentality!

el punal

I have to eat humble pie after the last game. I think we showed fantastic fight and determination to win that game. Going two up so early was always going to be tough defensively, and we just didn't have the answers when they came at us in the second half. But fair play to the lads to getting us back into the lead after they levelled. That was the sort of game we would have lost 3-2 last season, so I'm very happy we are now starting to show that winning mentality!
Did you go to the Ipswich game? I didn't, so I can only comment on watching the TV highlights and reading articles/posts from different sources. It seems that many Ipswich fans thought that we were pretty much in control despite being pegged back to 2-2, and that they (Ipswich) were unlikely to beat us despite their fightback. The good thing is, which I doubt would have happened in the last couple of seasons, that we had the resolve to go on and win the game rather than hang on for the draw.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
i only watched the stream but got the impression that Hemed for one simply had the attitude of 'ok, so you've got level, I'll just go score another one'. This won't always work but the difference in character from last season is amazing. We're a team playing for the shirt (and the bonuses obviously) now.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
i only watched the stream but got the impression that Hemed for one simply had the attitude of 'ok, so you've got level, I'll just go score another one'.

You're right - but even before they scored we were going for a third, not sure when it was we hit the post - whether at 2-0 or 2-1 - but anyway, this is what makes it so exciting. If we keep this attitude, who knows what will happen. We may well lose more in the long-run by going for it - but it's fun..

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
You're right - but even before they scored we were going for a third, not sure when it was we hit the post - whether at 2-0 or 2-1 - but anyway, this is what makes it so exciting. If we keep this attitude, who knows what will happen. We may well lose more in the long-run by going for it - but it's fun..
Yeah it was at 0-2 when Stephens hit the woodwork.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here