Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we lack the killer instinct?

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
We all got caught up in euphoria of being top of the league after last seasons abortion. We then went one up tonight and I thought the flood gates might open and we could score two or three more, we didn't and its back to reality still after 30 odd years of following this great club of our's I should know better. :)

We could so easily just be on 4 points. In any event, scoring in the first minute and scoring in injury time goes very much against the corinthian philosophy of the game. Not cricket.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
We all got caught up in euphoria of being top of the league after last seasons abortion. We then went one up tonight and I thought the flood gates might open and we could score two or three more, we didn't and its back to reality still after 30 odd years of following this great club of our's I should know better. :)

Why? I don't understand it. We support Brighton & Hove Albion, not Real Madrid. Why does everyone get so carried away when we win a couple of games on the spin, and so disheartened when we lose a couple? It is bizarre. It's like some people expect us to win every game we play. No team on the planet does that, let alone us.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surprised how many people are digging into the OP. Seems like a perfectly good point to make, rather than a pointless whinge?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
No they keep their shape and try and pinch a second as the home side rally. Don't get carried away just because we are ahead in games, all 3 of our results in the league have been close. I'm happy with the way CH is setting us up........ We're not going to rip teams apart...well not yet.
But we did rip fulham apart in the first half. Best we've played for years.

el punal

Why is do we always sit back after we score and invite the opposition to try and equalise? We seem to lack that killer instinct to kill teams off that you need to be a top team. We scored in the first minute, and then sat back for the next 89 minutes. It happened too many times last season, and if we don't change our mentality, it will again this season.

I'll bear that in mind when I look at the league table.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We are creating a significantly greater number of chances than last year and our front two have showed some real early promise. We have Zamora coming along and have added quality in wide areas with Murphy now complementing a revitalised Lua Lua.

There are goals in this side from all over the pitch which is something we really lacked last season. We are also solid at the back which gives us more freedom to push forward.

Personally really pleased with how we have been approaching games and with more minutes on the pitch and maybe another winger I can see us being very competitive this year.

el punal

Surprised how many people are digging into the OP. Seems like a perfectly good point to make, rather than a pointless whinge?

Surprised? Not really. This is the sort of point that might be applicable, say, around the end of September after we've played ten games or so. After three league games I don't think that you can criticise a team's performance if they have managed to achieve two wins and a draw with two of the games played away.

Another point to consider is that we are a side that's "bedding in" with a large number of new players, and a playing system vastly different and more positive than last season's offering.

Let's enjoy the moment of being at the top of the table, certainly it could be a false dawn but having been at the Forest and Fulham games I feel that that the team have a lot more to offer.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I'm very happy at where we are currently, but when you play against teams like Huddersfield, and they are there for the taking, we need to be more aggressive and try and win the game. Maybe you were happy sitting at the bottom of the table fighting for our lives, but I would rather we were pushing for promotion like the previous two seasons! Finishing off teams when you're ahead is the difference between success and failure. Why would you want to fail? Why would you be happy with a draw?
A point away from home is a good result in this league and to assume that people are happy being at the bottom of the table is just ridiculous. This is a tough league and we have had a fantastic start to this season......so stop moaning about killer instinct when we have already bagged 7 from 9, 4 of which have been away.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There is also the issue that the opposition actually seemed to play quite well in the second half. They have a good manager who addressed the problems they had in the first half. By all account we were unlucky not to score more in the first 45 mins but you have to give credit to the opposition as well.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
i'm delighted with our start to the season but do think that we should've taken 3 points at Huddersfield. The timing and personel for the substitutions seemed very odd, bringing on Ince for Hemed was a strange idea.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
i'm delighted with our start to the season but do think that we should've taken 3 points at Huddersfield. The timing and personel for the substitutions seemed very odd, bringing on Ince for Hemed was a strange idea.

Hudds were right on top at the time and the game needed suring up. Not sure what is hard to understand here.

We have no God given right to dominate every game we play particularly away from home.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
However, I am still very concerned about our strikers and how many goals they will score as we are now sitting at 1 goal from our strikers from open play in 4 games.

I appreciate you can twist and turn stats to try and prove a point - I could say 2 goals (and ignore the 'open play' bit) in 4 games and they look twice as good.

Using the same logic (after 4 games) to extrapolate over 46 games, you needn't worry too much about the goals; the midfield are going to contribute about FORTY :thumbsup:

So I am asked if I am happy with a draw and asked why would you want to fail, yet you state that you are always happy with a draw? What a strange individual you are!

Why do you have to be so f*@king rude?? You wouldn't be so rude if we were having a face to face conversation at the ground (I'm sure of it!), so don't do it on here. Your opinion may not be the same as mine, but I wouldn't slag you off for it! This is an open forum, for us to discuss matters concerning the club we all love. You may not agree with everything that is written, and you have every right to express your own point of view, all I ask is that you are respectful!

As for my comment about being happy with a draw. I would always prefer a win, but I am realistic that we can not win every game. At home I do believe we are good enough to beat most clubs in the Championship. But away from home I realise that against better position, we have to be happy with a draw. In my opinion, Huddersfield are not. They were there for the taking, and we didn't monopolise on it.

We are bringing in some decent players and TB now seems serious about trying to push for promotion (which I'm sure you'd agree with me, would be fantastic for the club!). If we are to try and get one of the automatic promotion spots, or even just to get back into the playoffs, we have to be ruthless. That's all I'm trying to say.

I'm not a fair weather fan that only turns up when we are winning. I have been through the same crap everyone else has over the last 40 years. But we are a club on the rise now. We have an amazing stadium, and first class training facilities. We have to stop thinking like a small club and start thinking bigger!

A point away from home is a good result in this league and to assume that people are happy being at the bottom of the table is just ridiculous. This is a tough league and we have had a fantastic start to this season......so stop moaning about killer instinct when we have already bagged 7 from 9, 4 of which have been away.

I'm not moaning. I just think we could have won that game.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Why? I don't understand it. We support Brighton & Hove Albion, not Real Madrid. Why does everyone get so carried away when we win a couple of games on the spin, and so disheartened when we lose a couple? It is bizarre. It's like some people expect us to win every game we play. No team on the planet does that, let alone us.

To the moon, Alice!

I just want to say that I don't think my original post is negative. It's not being negative to want more. Greedy maybe, but not negative.

The first two seasons at the Amex we had a winning mentality. We got used to winning, and started to expect it every game. But last season we were crap in comparison, and that has taken away the positive attitude we had the previous two seasons. We need to start thinking positive again, and start expecting to win. The club have shown real intent with the signings they have made and the new contract for Dunk. We need to start believing too.

Some people have made some good points on here. We are starting to tire at the end of games because out midfield is being run ragged. But keeping two up front, and adding pace to the wings (which we lacked last season) we should be able to push for that second goal earlier. Then we can change to a 4-5-1 formation and shaw up the midfield and close out the game.

It's also been pointed out that with-out the last minute goals in the first two games we would have been sitting on 3 points at the time of my post, and a lot of people would be saying that we had not progressed since last season. They say the table doesn't lie, but that is only relevant at the end of the season. Arsenal and Chelsea are both currently mid table in the Premier league on 4 points, yet none of us believe they will be there at the end of the season. So is there really any point looking at the table at the moment, even if it is nice to see us at the top. I do think our current position flatters us , but I also believe we have made a positive start. I think we can take the momentum we have forward, and start to build our confidence (something we severely lacked last season). If we can do that, then there's no reason we shouldn't be in the same league position we are now at the end of the season.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I just want to say that I don't think my original post is negative. It's not being negative to want more. Greedy maybe, but not negative.

The first two seasons at the Amex we had a winning mentality. We got used to winning, and started to expect it every game. But last season we were crap in comparison, and that has taken away the positive attitude we had the previous two seasons. We need to start thinking positive again, and start expecting to win. The club have shown real intent with the signings they have made and the new contract for Dunk. We need to start believing too.

Some people have made some good points on here. We are starting to tire at the end of games because out midfield is being run ragged. But keeping two up front, and adding pace to the wings (which we lacked last season) we should be able to push for that second goal earlier. Then we can change to a 4-5-1 formation and shaw up the midfield and close out the game.

It's also been pointed out that with-out the last minute goals in the first two games we would have been sitting on 3 points at the time of my post, and a lot of people would be saying that we had not progressed since last season. They say the table doesn't lie, but that is only relevant at the end of the season. Arsenal and Chelsea are both currently mid table in the Premier league on 4 points, yet none of us believe they will be there at the end of the season. So is there really any point looking at the table at the moment, even if it is nice to see us at the top. I do think our current position flatters us , but I also believe we have made a positive start. I think we can take the momentum we have forward, and start to build our confidence (something we severely lacked last season). If we can do that, then there's no reason we shouldn't be in the same league position we are now at the end of the season.

Spot on! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here