Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do we lack the killer instinct?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Really can't believe there's ANY negativity on here at the moment.

Last season we were dog-s**t. We're currently unbeaten in the league, 2nd in the Championship by Goal Difference.
Our strikers are scoring, and we've taken 6 points off Forest and Fulham.

Zamora's due to start within the next couple of weeks and we've got winnable games coming up.

We literally haven't been in a better place for quite a long time.
Enjoy it whilst you can.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Obviously not we have signed a pensioner and a trainee , neither of which the club deem good enough to play 1st team football. Nice to see you continue to resort to childish bullying posts to get your point across, grow up you left school along time ago

The only childish part is your 'Why don't we just sign a brilliant striker?' as if it is Football Manager or something. How many clubs in the division do you think don't want to sign a brilliant striker? If it was as easy as you seem to think, then why haven't we already done it, and why doesn't every club do it?

So far we've played 4, won 3, drawn 1, and you're not happy. There's a surprise. I cannot fathom why you continue to 'support' a lower league side.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Last season we were dog-s**t. We're currently unbeaten in the league, 2nd in the Championship by Goal Difference.

Zamora's due to start within the next couple of weeks and we've got winnable games coming up.

Enjoy it whilst you can.

1 or 2 warped undercover palace trolls like to stoke the negativity, I guess.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

Enjoy it whilst you can.
You're expected them to finish 6th. Let's hope you're right.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Enjoy it whilst you can.

Very much this !!

People complaining we lack killer instinct, poor second half performances ? FFS we've won two games with injury time winners, we are undefeated in league and cup ! What more do people want ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
would you have let Murray go for nothing?

No. No I wouldn't. But a) we didn't 'let him go for nothing', he was out of contract and was free to sign for whoever he liked, he wasn't our player, and b) I think everyone thinks we should have done more to try and keep him now, with hindsight. But the general reaction on here when he left was '**** him, he's not that good, he's had one good season with us and CMS is way better anyway'. So 90% of people made the same mistake Gus did. Every manager makes mistakes. He made far fewer than most do.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Obviously not we have signed a pensioner and a trainee , neither of which the club deem good enough to play 1st team football. Nice to see you continue to resort to childish bullying posts to get your point across, grow up you left school along time ago

You start back in September, don't you ? :lolol:

..... Sorry, you did set yourself up for that one.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
You're expected them to finish 6th. Let's hope you're right.

To be perfectly clear, before the start of the season, I stated that I personally expect BHA to finish in the Top 8, anything below that would be a disappointment.
Top 6 is ideal - for obvious reasons.

Just enjoy where we are and our last 4 results.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
No. No I wouldn't. But a) we didn't 'let him go for nothing', he was out of contract and was free to sign for whoever he liked, he wasn't our player, and b) I think everyone thinks we should have done more to try and keep him now, with hindsight. But the general reaction on here when he left was '**** him, he's not that good, he's had one good season with us and CMS is way better anyway'. So 90% of people made the same mistake Gus did. Every manager makes mistakes. He made far fewer than most do.
we'd moved into the new stad, were getting great crowds and winning in style but there was soon a nagging feeling that CMS might not have been quite the player he was built up to be. To answer your first question: No I would not sell Ulloa for 10m when we had a chance of going up to the Prem.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
The only childish part is your 'Why don't we just sign a brilliant striker?' as if it is Football Manager or something. How many clubs in the division do you think don't want to sign a brilliant striker? If it was as easy as you seem to think, then why haven't we already done it, and why doesn't every club do it?

So far we've played 4, won 3, drawn 1, and you're not happy. There's a surprise. I cannot fathom why you continue to 'support' a lower league side.

In which post did I say I was unhappy, we have played 3 and won 2 by the skin of our teeth. Promotion is not realistic without 1st team regular goal scoring strikers that is my only argument

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
In which post did I say I was unhappy, we have played 3 and won 2 by the skin of our teeth. Promotion is not realistic without 1st team regular goal scoring strikers that is my only argument

Absolutely. If we ignore the lucky penalty we got at Fulham we've averaged a goal a game which would be a projected 46 goals. That's bottom half form.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
it seems like they think 1 goal is enough and they try and defend the lead

No they keep their shape and try and pinch a second as the home side rally. Don't get carried away just because we are ahead in games, all 3 of our results in the league have been close. I'm happy with the way CH is setting us up........ We're not going to rip teams apart...well not yet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Enjoy it whilst you can.

I'm not negative in the slightest. It's been a great start to the season.

However, I am still very concerned about our strikers and how many goals they will score as we are now sitting at 1 goal from our strikers from open play in 4 games.

I appreciate you can twist and turn stats to try and prove a point - I could say 2 goals (and ignore the 'open play' bit) in 4 games and they look twice as good.

But, despite that concern, I...

- Hope Hemed turns out to be decent when he properly adapts.
- Hope Hemed and Baldock can build a great partnership.
- Believe a fit Zamora will be a massive boost.
- Know that we will strengthen further in attack.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If you'd told me before the season started that we'd get seven points and a place in the second round of the League Cup from our first four games I'd have been more than happy, but somehow because we only drew at Huddersfield after being a goal up I'm miserable. That's ridiculous and I need to sort myself out.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm not negative in the slightest. It's been a great start to the season.

However, I am still very concerned about our strikers and how many goals they will score as we are now sitting at 1 goal from our strikers from open play in 4 games.

I appreciate you can twist and turn stats to try and prove a point - I could say 2 goals (and ignore the 'open play' bit) in 4 games and they look twice as good.

But, despite that concern, I...

- Hope Hemed turns out to be decent when he properly adapts.
- Hope Hemed and Baldock can build a great partnership.
- Believe a fit Zamora will be a massive boost.
- Know that we will strengthen further in attack.

Is the last point indicative of further moves in the market before the end of the window ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If you'd told me before the season started that we'd get seven points and a place in the second round of the League Cup from our first four games I'd have been more than happy, but somehow because we only drew at Huddersfield after being a goal up I'm miserable. That's ridiculous and I need to sort myself out.
We all got caught up in euphoria of being top of the league after last seasons abortion. We then went one up tonight and I thought the flood gates might open and we could score two or three more, we didn't and its back to reality still after 30 odd years of following this great club of our's I should know better. :)

Last edited:

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Quote Originally Posted by royceyboy
Why is do we always sit back after we score and invite the opposition to try and equalise? We seem to lack that killer instinct to kill teams off that you need to be a top team. We scored in the first minute, and then sat back for the next 89 minutes. It happened too many times last season, and if we don't change our mentality, it will again this season.

FFS your a positive fella aren't you? 4 points from 2 away games and unbeaten in first 3 games.
What a buffoon!

He's not wrong. The Albion are taking greater chance of drawing when they "fall back" and play defencive with a one goal lead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here