Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people think Bloom will spend big in the summer?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was at the open day on Wednesday, 8th April, and chatting to a few 'senior' members of staff they all believe Tony will not be splashing the cash this summer. All separate conversations but all went the same way of "the chairman wont be spending big this summer".

No chairman, or anyone with and business sense, is going to publicise or even give the slightest indication of the fact that they're prepared to splash the cash. If you did that, you're asking to have to add 50% to any transfer fee or wage you have to pay.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In that season he had scored 11 and was on target for 20. What would we give for a 20 goal s season striker?

He scored 11 in 29 appearances, with 11 games left when he got injured. He was on course for around 15, had his goal scoring rate remained consistent and he appeared in every remaining game. However, he had missed 6 games prior to his injury, five of those 29 appearances were as a sub, there was no guarantee he would feature enough in the final eleven games to meet that average, and as DarrenFreemansPerm points out, his goal scoring rate was getting worse as the season went on. 8 from his first 11 appearances, 3 from his last 18.

I agree with you that his goal scoring record was ok before his injury. And he wasn't played to his strengths, but that was down to Gus, and since Gus bought him there's really no one else to blame. We didn't know Murray would be as successful as he was, but since we're apportioning credit and blame, letting Murray go the worst transfer decision we've made in the last 5 years. And since most think that was Gus's decision, I think it's a bit ridiculous to praise Gus so much for his ability to spot a good player.

This is one of those things where there are lots of different rumours/view points - Gus was restricted by the budget set up at the time, Murray wanted a signing on bonus to match what Palace were offering with the pay increase, Poyet didn't want him, Poyet was only allowed one and went for the guy with Championship experience and 30+ league one goals over murray with his 25 and unknown championship quality, the club were refusing to stretch the budget, murray would have stayed with us for less etc.

Not to mention there's a general degree of mystique about Albion transfer dealings. Bloom was in Australia and unreachable, Oscar never answered his phone, Oscar was never interested in dealing with transfers, he was always suggesting players out of our budget, the club were helping him get used to that side of management he hasn't experienced before and it was great relationship, Burke was never interested in suggestions from the scouts, the good signings are thanks to whoever we're happiest with at the time, the bad ones are the fault of whoever we want to criticise, etc.

I think a lot of people allow their feelings toward Gus to decide which rumour they believe. If there is a general belief that Gus was entirely to blame for Murray going to palace, it is based on their current dislike of Gus rather than any inside knowledge in most cases.

But I also agree that it is probably a little inaccurate to look at Gus as a great talent spotter. Even without know to what degree it was the club, what degree it was Murray/his agent, and what degree it was Gus with regard to that one, in recent years there's been a lot of poor talent come through. Under Gus we also had Harley, Gonzales, Agdestein, Paynter, etc. Often, at the time when people liked him, there were suggestions some of these were forced on him.

He also thought Buckley and Bridcutt would do a job at Sunderland and they haven't succeeded there, I don't know of any of his signings there that have clicked. But again, there is murkiness over who buys the players (a continuation of the complaints of DiCanio, so perhaps there is something more to it there than just Gus's typical 'I'm not to blame' attitude).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is one of those things where there are lots of different rumours/view points - Gus was restricted by the budget set up at the time, Murray wanted a signing on bonus to match what Palace were offering with the pay increase, Poyet didn't want him, Poyet was only allowed one and went for the guy with Championship experience and 30+ league one goals over murray with his 25 and unknown championship quality, the club were refusing to stretch the budget, murray would have stayed with us for less etc.

Palace were offering him more wages plus there was also the issue of a juicy signing on fee to play for the scum. In effect we would have splashed out twice as much on a sweetener bonus to match their offer. No individual player is bigger than the club.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think we need about 6 or 7 new signings. I think we need to spend £7- £8 million on them (a couple of signings in the region of £2 million each to get the fans excited), and I think that it will be partly funded by the sale of Lewis Dunk. Hopefully we will fight to keep Rohan Ince (if we need to) as I think that a settled midfield of Kayal,Stephens, and Ince could be key to a successful season if we can get that goal scorer.

I think we will have a fair bit of money for wages as I think Cms, Augustein will go, also Cms transfer fee is now officially of our accounts for FFP, that alone must have been in the region of £500,000 a year. So that should help.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Beram Kayal
thats wisely and cost us peanuts
few more like him and bingo we might be back in business and I am sure CH will have a few more like him up his sleeve

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here