Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why do people think Bloom will spend big in the summer?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Sell Dunk, sign up Halford.

Save CMS wages.
Save Kemy wages.
Save Hughes wages.
Save McCourt wages.

That should enable us to spend a bit of money in itself.

6 quality players needed (LB, CD, Winger, Tex replacement, Top striker, 2nd striker ).

This plus £. In Many ways he has no choice but to go large. Expect a landmark striker being signed this summer to re invigorate the Amex and the feel good factor. Once CH has completed his brief for this season which of course is survival, he can rebuild for 2015/2016.We seem to forget it's also Hughton's reputation as a successful Championship manager on the line here as well, Favours to be called in with Spuds and Newcastle for several Prem loans. Praying we get set up for 4-4-2.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We'll have to agree to differ. I want players I can relate to even if they are not as good. Players like Bridge and Ward are few and far between

Yes, don't suppose we'll ever agree on this, but if the likes of Bridge and Ward, players we can't afford to sign, can come to us on loan at a price we can afford, then its worth our while welcoming them with open arms. And even this season, I'm glad we've had Tex, Halford is doing a decent job, and Bennett, even if not the finished article, is better than anyone we've got at left back, and does at least try to put in a decent shift.

I know we've had sh*t loanees too, no argument from me on that score. But perhaps that in itself is a plus for the loan system - we get to taste and try BEFORE we buy. Imagine if we'd paid good money for Obika or Best, and signed them up on three year contracts!

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Do people slating Bournemouth for signing Kenwyne Jones thinking we were paying Darren Bent in Mars Bars or something?

I'm more concerned about our ability to spot talent than our budgets. You don't need to spend THAT much to be reasonably competitive, you just need to spend wisely.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
The fees we paid for Stockdale and Baldock were 2 of the biggest 4 or 5 signings, in terms of fees, the club has made. Ever.

And there lies the problem.

Stockdale OK but not worth £1m. Baldock never played in the most effective formation after scoring for fun in a front 2....why buy him when we're so obsessed with a sole striker?

Not spending enough or profligate? Does it matter? Bottom line is that it's been ****ing shit!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As has been said before it is not a matter of 'spending big' but 'spending wisely'. CMS is an example of 'spending big' and that hasn't worked.

Really do think that it won't be fixed in one transfer window. All those saying that they "can't wait for the season to end so that we can fix things during the summer" are doomed to be disappointed IMO.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
As I've said on previous threads I don't think Tony Bloom has any intention of spending BIG, he'll spend wisely if and when required...and boy is it required, but he's no sugar daddy (unless you want bricks and mortar that is).

First and foremost we have to offload the deadwood, the out of contract players that are just too expensive, ditch the un-required loanee's, then spend the freed-up money on players Hughton would like to keep and then add proven talent who have played at Championship level (not League One). It's too early to expect the Academy to be providing new 'Championship ready' players just yet but that will come given time.

Given that FFP spending for 2016 has a higher level of leeway in terms of how much a club can lose, Tony might just splash a little more cash but don't hold your breath.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've spoken to a lot of people , read it on here and elsewhere that Bloom "will go for it" and "spend big" in the summer.
I'd think the balance of what you've read on here is that he won't go big.

For two years, since Gus left, we haven't signed any good players but have sold all of the good ones he brought in. We therefore need someone in the club to have the same ability to spot a good player as Gus did.
Isn't it the consensus of opinion that Gus let Murray go, and brought in CMS? If so, I think that combination was by far our biggest failing in the transfer market.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'd think the balance of what you've read on here is that he won't go big.

Isn't it the consensus of opinion that Gus let Murray go, and brought in CMS? If so, I think that combination was by far our biggest failing in the transfer market.

Wouldnt have been had CMS not suffered a bad injury and played to the strengths we bought him for. Prior to his injury his goal scoring record was fine despite what is said on here about him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For two years, since Gus left, we haven't signed any good players but have sold all of the good ones he brought in.

Any ? Dear oh dear. Its all feast or famine isn't it. and of course we've signed a lot of duffers in the last two years but come on ...Any ?
How about for starters Ince, Ward, Kayal, Stephens, Andrews (under rated but yep not everyones cup of tea), Upson (signed on a permanent), Tex, Walton, Stockdale (a better GK than TK imo), Rea ?

Not one player ? ????

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Any ? Dear oh dear. Its all feast or famine isn't it. and of course we've signed a lot of duffers in the last two years but come on ...Any ?
How about for starters Ince, Ward, Kayal, Stephens, Andrews (under rated but yep not everyones cup of tea), Upson (signed on a permanent), Tex, Walton, Stockdale (a better GK than TK imo), Rea ?

Not one player ? ????

Rea and Ince were already here, Andrews, Ward and Tex all loans and Walton is a relative unknown be honest. Kayal, Stephens and Upson are good though, but when you offset them against Holla, McCourt, Hughes and Agustein it would appear we sign a lot more duffers than assets.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Wouldnt have been had CMS not suffered a bad injury and played to the strengths we bought him for. Prior to his injury his goal scoring record was fine despite what is said on here about him.

Only in League One, it's easy to overlook his record for Peterborough in this division in a team that very much played to his strengths. Prior to his injury his record was still quite lame for us, whichever way you dress it up.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Rea and Ince were already here, Andrews, Ward and Tex all loans and Walton is a relative unknown be honest. Kayal, Stephens and Upson are good though, but when you offset them against Holla, McCourt, Hughes and Agustein it would appear we sign a lot more duffers than assets.

Agreed. In the last two years we have. but OP said we hadn't signed *any* , didn't specify loans and by which i assume he means nobody. zilch. Not a soul. Zero.
Do you think we've signed one good player in the last two years ?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Agreed. In the last two years we have. but OP said we hadn't signed *any* , didn't specify loans and by which i assume he means nobody. zilch. Not a soul. Zero.
Do you think we've signed one good player in the last two years ?

Absolutely, we signed a couple of quality players, it's the other half dozen sub standard ones that concern me.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
This plus £. In Many ways he has no choice but to go large. Expect a landmark striker being signed this summer to re invigorate the Amex and the feel good factor. Once CH has completed his brief for this season which of course is survival, he can rebuild for 2015/2016.We seem to forget it's also Hughton's reputation as a successful Championship manager on the line here as well, Favours to be called in with Spuds and Newcastle for several Prem loans. Praying we get set up for 4-4-2.

Newcastle will loan any talented kid with a chance of making it to Rangers.. MA is all about running his football clubs for profit. The guy has no time for sentiment and doing CH a favor.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was at the open day on Wednesday, 8th April, and chatting to a few 'senior' members of staff they all believe Tony will not be splashing the cash this summer. All separate conversations but all went the same way of "the chairman wont be spending big this summer".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree with you that his goal scoring record was ok before his injury. And he wasn't played to his strengths, but that was down to Gus, and since Gus bought him there's really no one else to blame. We didn't know Murray would be as successful as he was, but since we're apportioning credit and blame, letting Murray go the worst transfer decision we've made in the last 5 years. And since most think that was Gus's decision, I think it's a bit ridiculous to praise Gus so much for his ability to spot a good player.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
In that season he had scored 11 and was on target for 20. What would we give for a 20 goal s season striker?

No, he really wasn't on target for 20 goals. He started the season excellently and had about 9 goals by November, I think he then managed 2 goals in 16 games until he got injured. He'd completely lost his way again but the goals in the first 6 or 7 games completely distort how his record looks from that season.
I completely agree, we desperately need a 20 goal forward, he'll I'd take a 10 goal forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here