Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did the boos happen and/or who was targeted?

What was the booing all about?

• Booing individual player(s)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Booing the team as a whole

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Booing Graham Potter

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Booing out of frustration

Votes: 234 87.6%
  • Something else (please state)

Votes: 17 6.4%

• Total voters

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
There was some booing from West Upper, Block H. Not me, but I didn't applaud Maupay off when he was substituted as frustrated he missed, badly, those chances. As we were leaving the bloke behind me said ' if Potter's still here after Xmas I'm not coming back. Grr. I said I bet you will and he smiled. Yaah, of course we will he replied!!

I think that sums it up. Frustration, but when you think about it, no one isn't trying, even Maupay, but boy, do we need some of those chances to go in. I don't think anyone in the stadium expected Locadia to make any impact and he didn't, so again frustrated at our lack of options.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Does anyone who did boo think it will have a positive/constructive effect?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Right so we've now ruled out "being in an inflated league position despite not winning for over two months" and "involved in a Premier League relegation battle and not winning games against the really shite teams in the league" as two of the occasions when we're not allowed to complain. I refer you to the question I asked previously, at what point would complaining then be permitted? After relegation? Mid-table Championship? League 1?

One situation would be when the team and club can't be arsed, aren't trying and just lazing around.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I was watching on TV (bad fan with car snowed in north of Birmingham) and there were boos clearly heard (unless Sky were having a laugh and added them to the sound effects!)

Booing the team or a player unless there is a severe lack of effort (I’m looking at you Leon Best) is ridiculous. Yes, we didn’t score, but we played very well and entertained without putting the ball in the net.

Fine margins - even without the 4 “sitters” missed by Maupay/Moder we hit the post 3 times, two of which were tipped onto it by Meslier.

I can see why Potter was upset by the booing, he has the team playing some great football most of the time, just lacking that killer punch - we all know it, we can all see it and it’s the narrative time and time again.

Yes we all are frustrated, and as others have said you don’t boo out of frustration, I believe that was a directed boo at the team for not winning the game - simple as that.

Potter is not immune from criticism - sometimes his substitutions are strange and sometimes he picks the wrong formation to start games. However he has us in 8th in the Premier League on merit, playing entertaining football. I’m enjoying watching the games, I’d like to see more goals, but we really are a pleasure to watch.

Anyway it will all be forgotten by Weds night when Maupay scores a hattrick at the London Stadium, so a bit of a storm in a teacup really…

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No option for ‘the booing occurred because we have attracted a small but vocal minority of self entitled people’

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
The boos definitely did not come from the east as they had already gone home

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
9 games without a win.
Only one home league win this season, despite facing three of the bottom 6. [edit: two home wins, I had Watford as an away victory, thank, Crookie]
6 goals in 7 homes games, with three coming from the penalty spot.
Inability to beat three of the bottom 4 teams.

I don't know if the counts as 'frustration' or 'other'

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is this turning into Schrödinger's boo? Nobody appears to have booed or heard booing but it apparently happened enough for Potter to be quizzed and subsequently throw us under the bus for it.

[MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I certainly heard it from WSM 1901 (borrowing someone else's seats), and it was louder than I expected it to be.

But given where our seats were, right at the back of the tier, I don't think it was coming from the WSU as we were kinda underneath a lip below the WSU. We could neither see nor hear it throughout the game. I also didn't think it came from 1901 itself.

All the journalists and media types in the West clearly heard it as well.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
People who boo are probably the ones who try and get an atmosphere going. Better then the bovril brigade who happy clap to a pass or shout ohh to a shot. We have become so plastic, it's horrible.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
How did he tar the whole fan base?

OK fair enough, he didn't tar the whole fan base. But I do think he should've recognised that it was obviously frustrations boiling over from a few at not having won another game we've completely dominated, and nothing towards him personally. I get his reaction to it too though I guess; he was speaking in the moment too and obviously will have been really pissed off himself we hadn't won, even if he didn't (and doesn't ever) say it to the media

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I could fully understand if they were booing Pawson. He definitely deserved it.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
For me this about a number of separate issues. First we have the game, which was, in my mind both entertaining, skilful, & incredibly frustrating. I was shouting at the screen (bad fan™) like any other until the final whistle went & I found myself relieved that we hadn't conceded.

Secondly there's the booing & the Potter response.

& then there's the reaction to both of the above, which is essentially what we're engaging in right now.

I see it as 'free speech' v's the corporate 'the customer is always right', the stats & computers & robotic response over the 'we're real human beings' attitude (for want of a better way of putting it) - the 'let's all be professional & emotion free', for heaven's sake.

The game was what it was. The response(s) (Potter & fans) was what it was, but is exactly how it should be, I think. No-one died. Maybe some people got a little bit offended or, heaven forbid, slightly put out.

Let's take it on the chin like grown ups & move on, FFS.

That's my take, anyway.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
This thread is just an exercise in cognitive dissonance. There was no excuse for booing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here