Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are old people so rude?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Not all oaps are on the breadline, in fact married with kids, one child with a disability which means one of us cant work, i find it pretty hard to stretch our income to afford heating, mortgage anything for christmas.

I was always taught that you stand aside for the elderly precisely for the reasons you state ( ill health etc) but that doesn't mean they cant say thank you.

I'm not tattoed or bald, I don't dress stangely, im not especially tall or overweight. i was wearing my green and black jack Wolfskin jacket. Admittedly it is 5 years old now, but it currently has a poppy pinned to it.

I'm not sure there are many people anywhere who don't understand that the word Paki is racist.

Seaford hasn't exactly been " taken over with immigrants"

I doubt many 65 year old men had husbands who were WW2 veterans

You referred to "old dears", so I assumed your pensioners were women. If they are in their 80s, then they could be WWII widows. If they were in their 70s, then some of them were old Teddy boys, or in their 60s, then old hippies, both of which group thought they could change the world, or challenge it, when they were young. But nothing ever changes and you get old grumpily, wondering where the years went and why you are as poor today as you were 50 years ago.

Today, the word Paki is thought to be racist, but 50 years ago, it was simply a nickname for someone who came from Pakistan, just as 60 years ago, Polak was simply a nickname for someone who came from Poland, or today, when Brit is a nickname for someone who comes from Britain. Word usage changes over time but not everyone knows it or can change a habit, particularly if they are elderly and forgetful, or have dementia.

But you are quite right. Where forgetfulness or infirmity are not an issue, then rudeness is just plain rudeness. Being elderly does not give you the right to be rude, any more than it gives the young the right to be rude.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I don't find them rude. Where I work, mostly old people come to enjoy the scenery, plants and exercise. I can count on one hand the number of old rude people I've dealt with in the months I've been at my job and almost all of them are very friendly and polite.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm always polite to old people, no matter how rude they are, chances are you'll never bump into them again.

BUT

Once in Asda shopping, the missus forgot something so went back a few aisles while I waited with the trolley, I parked up at the side so other people could get by, then out of nowhere a trolley was pushed into the back of my legs, scraping up my heel and Achilles tendon which fcuking hurt!!

I turned around swearing to see what idiot had hit me only to be confronted by a little old lady and her trolley, before I could say anything she shouted at me calling me selfish because she couldn't get to the loaf of bread she wanted.

I asked her why she didn't just ask me to move and she flew into another tirade of abuse!!!!!!

She got a few choice words back but then I got abused by a woman who shouted at me for not respecting my elders!!!!!!!

I couldn't believe it, they both got a torrent from me then I hobbled off really angry,

That's the only time I've ever lost my temper with the elderly..... So far, no doubt something will happen again in the future

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
A lonely old widow in her 80s decided she wanted to get married on more time before she dies. So she places an ad in the local paper, saying:

"Husband wanted. Must be my age (80s). Must never beat me. Must never run away from me. Must be good in bed. Please apply in person."

A few days later the doorbell rings. Much to the woman's dismay, when she opens it she finds a grey-haired old man with no arms and no legs perching outside in a
wheelchair.

"I've come about your ad," he says.

The old woman replies: "You're not seriously asking me to consider you, are you? Just look at you: you've got no legs!"

The old man smiles again: "Then obviously I can never run away from you."

"But you've got no arms either!" she says.

"Then I can never beat you, can I?"

The woman sighs and says: "Are right then. But there's no way you can still be good in bed."

The old man beams at the woman any says:

"I rang the doorbell didn't I?"

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I'm a firm believer that people don't turn into rude f*ckers when they get old, its just that rude f*ckers get old.

It's the drivers that are the worst, and not just becasue they cause crashes. It's common courtesy that you give some form of acknoweldgement to people that have waited while you pass them in a narrow street. Even boy racers normally give you some sort of wave, but OAPs more often than not will just carry on as if you weren't there.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I find rude old people quite funny. In fact I find rude people fairly amusing on the whole, especially if there is a bit of vitriol in there and it's over something trivial. I find it all laughable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here