Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why am I all a bit m-eh?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think it might be because we didn't make any "WOW!" kind of signings. As such coming into the new season the players who will make up almost all of our starting XI are players we all know well. So it has a feel of it's same again as last season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Its is all history , we ****ed it up. Season starts again on Saturday.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am with pasty. I still would like to know what (if anything) happened in the home play-off. I wish I had not heard the rumours that the team were not sent out in the best frame of mind and that not everyone gave of their best.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's the middle of the bloody cricket season with Sussex still in with a chance of the Championship! And it's an Ashes summer! How can you even THINK of football!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm usually a bit m'eh at the start of the season, I think the last couple were more the exception with the excitement of coming home, and then the expectation of a top season. Now I think I'm back to my usual m'eh, partly because

-I don't know enough about Agustien or Chicksen to be excited by their signing, and other than that the squad is currently the same
-the gus situation
-play off defeat
-new manager leading to the unknown onfield prospects
-I really don't like the new kits
-I don't feel like I've had a chance to miss football this summer, which is odd as I can't really remember watching much the last couple of months.
-new kit, new manager, new caterers, new astroturf, new concourses, etc... it feels like meeting a distant relative after a long absence rather than returning to a lover after a short period apart
-I think there's probably a degree of apprehension about how NSC may react (if we're successful there'll be loads of posts dismissing Gus's contribution both historical and the more direct impact on most of our players, if we struggle there be loads of posts claiming he should have never been sacked and everything will be dredged up again)
-I can see a lot of chants about changing room poo becoming repetitive and tired very quickly.
-Also not looking forward to the same old moans, both on here and at the ground about barnes, food, travel (though with the changes to the last two I have a smidgeon of interest, admittedly)
-The weather has become rainy and depressing so it doesn't feel like start of the season time of year.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
OK the juices aren't exactly flowing about the new season yet but now the Gus saga is behind us and we have completed some signings I am quietly optimistic about life under OG. However I am realistic enough to recognise that it could take a few games to gel. Especially as a key element of our success last season was a tight defence and not conceding many goals.

I think part of my slight apathy is unanswered questions over the play-offs and I haven't forgiven Gus for his own performance. We should have won given our rich run of form and chances in the 1st leg, but didn't. From what we know it appears in the background Gus had de-stabilised the Club at the most crucial moment. I still do not understand why Gus was the least animated on the touchline in the last 20 minutes of the 2nd leg and why did he not inspire (or at least appear to inspire) a comeback? Was he really content to be goosed by Holloway? Ok Gus did great things for us in a very short space of time but I actually think he 'hit his own ceiling' and it is rather sad that his tenure fizzled out so lamely. I still wonder if the writing was on the wall and he would have been on his bike, even if we had won promotion?

So all in all it is probably best to have a fresh start and give it a few games before making a judgement about OG. He will do very well to match or better still exceed Gus's achievements. We are still doing amazing things under Tony Bloom so OG will get my support and I hope others feel the same but my expectations right now are quietly optimistic and no more.

Brian Riggs

Aug 7, 2009
I'm worried. Seriously worried.

The footy season starts in 3 days time, but right now I'm really not that bothered about it. Normally I'm chomping at the bit at the thought of a new season, but some reason this year I'm just not up for it. Maybe I haven't got over the Palace defeat yet, or the Gus saga, or anything else that's been going on. Maybe it's because we're away first game and I'm not going, or the fact we've just moved house so I've been mentally too stressed to worry about footy, I just don't know. I'm just hoping that come the first home match, I'm back to my normal Albion fanatical self.

Anyone else feeling similar?

Absolutely spot-on, Pasty, as is the blog posted by Herne Hill Seagull. Exactly as I feel.

Maybe it's an age thing (I'm 49) but during previous close seasons, I'd have been counting down the weeks, then days to the start of the season. Not this one. Didn't even bother finding out the Norwich result until this morning.

I still have my season ticket and am off to Leeds on Saturday having bought my tickets when they first came on sale, thinking I'd be up for it once it came around. I'm not.

Hopefully, come 3pm or therabouts on Saturday, the football buzz will return. At least I hope so - having followed the Albion for 40+ years, what would I do on Saturdays?

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
I cured my self of that by booking Leeds away today. I'm really quite up for it now.

I think the weird thing is the season starting so early, and trying to get built up for the season whilst still in a notional holiday mode.

I with you Hotchilidog, another 2 weeks of the Off-Season and I would be far more excited. 3rd August is far too early to start, especially in an Ashes summer!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
-I can see a lot of chants about changing room poo becoming repetitive and tired very quickly.

I'd be genuinely SHOCKED if we got more than 1-2. Only us and Palace really know or care about all that.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
-I think there's probably a degree of apprehension about how NSC may react (if we're successful there'll be loads of posts dismissing Gus's contribution both historical and the more direct impact on most of our players, if we struggle there be loads of posts claiming he should have never been sacked and everything will be dredged up again)

That's a good point. Unlike the OP I am starting to get excited about the possibilities of our team this season.But I also know that if we start well I'll end up getting into rows with people that dismiss all of Gus' achievements in getting us to this stage. Likewise if we start slowly I'll be getting into rows (most probably with the same people) urging folks to give Oscar the same time and patience we gave Gus when he started. Neither scenario fills me with great joy.

Also, its still bloody July and there's a new season 3 days away. Ridiculously early.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd be genuinely SHOCKED if we got more than 1-2. Only us and Palace really know or care about all that.

This. The reality of the situation is that someone had a mishap in the bogs and didn't manage to clean up the mess; there was no shit on the changing room floor or wall. Did it even make the national press?

I think it might be because we didn't make any "WOW!" kind of signings. As such coming into the new season the players who will make up almost all of our starting XI are players we all know well. So it has a feel of it's same again as last season.

Last season? As in the season we nearly got promoted? Yep. No reason to get excited about the same squad being available to make it happen again.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I've always thought the season should start in september, get the school holidays out of the way first.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Stand still in this game, m'lud, and you're actually going backwards. Same squad minus one of the most important players, who's gone to a likely promotion challenger. No doubt OG will add further players; he needs to. We must improve on last season if we're to fulfil the club's ambition - making it happen again is no good, by that stated target.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It's the middle of the bloody cricket season with Sussex still in with a chance of the Championship! And it's an Ashes summer! How can you even THINK of football!

So This...every summer my love for the game of cricket gets bigger. Watching a bunch of cheats, falling over spiting and swearing while moaning at the refs and all the time earning silly money, while most of us can just afford a ST. Bloody stupid Football.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My apprehension is also due to lack of any Massive signings, so far. Remember our players giving away to many late goals near end of games last season, resulting in to many draws.
With Bridge now missing can't see us improving to much this season.
Still, a little time left for transfer activity and Oscar may cheer me up with a spectacular signing or two.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I can't wait. The last few weeks have really dragged as I hate pre-season friendlies.

One thing that makes me anxious is football betting in the early stages of the season. I study teams patterns and home and away records. It's not until October that things become clearer and which are the teams to follow and avoid. The Championship is probably the hardest division to make money on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here