Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whose your money on to win the World cup this summer?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Germany I reckon but I expect Brazil to at the very least make the semis. Haven't they got an unbeaten home record stretching back to the 80s or something ridiculous?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Just checked, no competitive losses at home since 1975 and no competitive losses at the Maracana since the 1950s!!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Germany have the strongest squad in my view. Spain are also still going to be there or there abouts and have a squad that know how to win things. However, I can't look past a South American team winning it

Brazil are under more pressure than any other host nation in my memory, and I think they'll buckle. Despite having (on paper) a fairly average defence, Argentina's attack is absolutely ridiculous and I can see them scoring their way to glory.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Not sure my money would be on Germany. Defensively they are not always secure (Italy at Euro 2012, Sweden at home last year, even England at the last World Cup).

The climate will also be against them and the other northern European sides.

Belgium fifth favourites is laughable considering they have zero experience of playing in finals tournaments. Would love to see them prove me wrong.

Wouldn't completely rule out Spain - they have such a good pool of players to choose from including, somehow, a Brazilian scoring machine...

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
We will see. Being a European team outside of Europe hasn't proved too problematic in the past....if this is what you're implying.

can't really include Japan & South Africa in that

South American teams are strong,granted Holland (Argentina78) & Germany (Mexico86) but ultimately both failed

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
there's been 9 world cups outside of europe and only 1 has been won by a european team. That was in south africa where the tournament was played in their winter with a not too unreasonable climate for european. Brazil certainly won't be like that

i'd say it's proved very problematic!

This is such a tired statistic. And what bearing a world cup in, say 1930, has on Brazil and I'm not sure. But if you want to go down this route I believe 7 european nations have got to the final of 7 tournaments held outside of Europe. And there are plenty of other factors which played a part in them not always winning such as simply not being the best team. And if you go into a tournament with this attitude you probably wont win it. David James pre-occupation with SA and it's climate did my head in; maybe you should concentrate your energies on your football? I am seeing the same thing with Roy and that game in the jungle. It's a challenge, so rise to it.

Anyway, this is now, that was then...the world and its atheletes are very different today.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This could be a phenomenal world cup, just because there is no one outstanding team when factors are considered.

Brazil have home advantage but it's by no means their best squad. Pretty poor in fact. Argentina have goals goals goals but no defence.
Spain and Germany have the two best squads but again, the climate will be a factor.
Teams such as Colombia, Uruguay and Chile are also sure to excel.
And then you have the teams such as Netherlands, France, Italy, Cristiano Ronaldo and (don't mock) us (we're not THAT bad are we).

Arguably the 2 best footballers of all time at the tournament (a debate for a different day) and some quality goalscorers all over the groups.

Lovely.

Compared to the horrendous vuvu's of the last world cup, this could be brilliant.

Oct 25, 2003
This is such a tired statistic. And what bearing a world cup in, say 1930, has on Brazil and I'm not sure. But if you want to go down this route I believe 7 european nations have got to the final of 7 tournaments held outside of Europe. And there are plenty of other factors which played a part in them not always winning such as simply not being the best team. And if you go into a tournament with this attitude you probably wont win it. David James pre-occupation with SA and it's climate did my head in; maybe you should concentrate your energies on your football? I am seeing the same thing with Roy and that game in the jungle. It's a challenge, so rise to it.

Anyway, this is now, that was then...the world and its atheletes are very different today.

well, you did say that it hadn't proved too much of a problem in the past...when it clearly has. The climate will definitely have a part to play, you've already stated that it's a 'challenge', and it's a challenge that european teams will face but not south american teams....which is why they have an advantage. whether or not you think that the european players should just 'rise to it' or not. The fact is that they do have to rise to it, whereas the likes of brazil and argentina (already strong sides) don't need to worry about it

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I did fancy Chile, they've have been mentioned as a dark horse before, and they're still at 50/1.

However, it's difficult to call which two out of them Spain & Holland will get out of the group.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here