[Albion] Who's RdZ gonna drop?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think Webster’s game declined, a key mistake or two in open play per game. There was an Amex game before the WC where he was awful, Dunk repeatedly covering his errors as the opposition counter attacked.

RDZ may’ve reached a similar conclusion by playing Colwill.
Though he didn’t until he was injured.

If we’re after a left sided CB perhaps neither are seen as the longer term solution.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Second time somehing like this has been mentioned today. He's doing what is asked of him. He's great on the ball.
Though gave away their goal, so not that good.

Intrigued to know, how you know that is what is asked of him, when Dunk doesn’t, neither does Veltman or Webster.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Though gave away their goal, so not that good.

Intrigued to know, how you know that is what is asked of him, when Dunk doesn’t, neither does Veltman or Webster.
Because what he does- slowing down the play, inviting the press, standing on the ball etc- is one of the key elements of RDZ tactics. As has been widely reported here and elsewhere. He is the player who is used to beat the press, find the pivot, pick the correct pass at the correct time. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far he is the defender absolutely playing the way we were expecting our CBs to under RDZ. Almost certain Dunk isn't doing it as much because he knows the youngster is better at it.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
No titting around, we’ve seen what happened when Veltman isn’t played. Sarmiento, Trossard, Lamptey and Lallana don’t start.

Ferguson
Mitoma Gross March
Caicedo MacAllister
Estupinan Colwill Dunk Veltman
Sanchez
That's the one though if fit I think wellbeck will start. Ferg on for the last half hour.

Jimmy Grimble

I agree with those advocating Lallana has to start. He’s the organiser in there and - as good as the others are - the most technically and tactically proficient.

A toss-up between Gross and Mac Allister for me.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Drop Lallana for Alexis Mac, no arguments.

I agree with those advocating Lallana has to start. He’s the organiser in there and - as good as the others are - the most technically and tactically proficient.

A toss-up between Gross and Mac Allister for me.
I do 100% agree on Lallana. I'm reasonably certain he's the best and most influential player ever to wear the stripes. I'm sure plenty of others will disagree.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I do 100% agree on Lallana. I'm reasonably certain he's the best and most influential player ever to wear the stripes. I'm sure plenty of others will disagree.
Do agree with the sentiments regarding Adam but we will have to do without him soon anyway. He did say in interview, when asked how we fit in Ali Mac,” He can have my place!” He was sort of joking but I think he meant it as well. Great team man is Adam.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
There seems to be a presumption that
Just wondering how 2 goal, world cup winner Alistair Mac Allister gets back into the team for Liverpool.

With Moises and Gross playing well together, March and Mitoma on the wings, the only place available would appear to be the no 10 position. Which means no place for Lallana, which is a bit unfair on him, nor Trossard, assuming big Ferg or Welly starts up top.

Exciting times ahead
Why make a presumption to ‘drop’ anyone? We have a deeper squad now which can only be good as older players start to slow down, cover for match bans, injuries, (sulking!) etc - ‘dropping’ players from the start or the bench on specific match days (especially tactically to face particular opponents) doesn’t need to be an issue in a rotating side or is this thread about ‘dropping’ players permanently from the squad? I wasnt sure!🤷‍♂️

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
There seems to be a presumption that

Why make a presumption to ‘drop’ anyone? We have a deeper squad now which can only be good as older players start to slow down, cover for match bans, injuries, (sulking!) etc - ‘dropping’ players from the start or the bench on specific match days (especially tactically to face particular opponents) doesn’t need to be an issue in a rotating side or is this thread about ‘dropping’ players permanently from the squad? I wasnt sure!🤷‍♂️
No, it was specifically about who you drop, or more correctly "rotate" to bring a World Cup winner back into the starting 11

I think Let's Have a Winner has summed it up for me
Imagine having to pick between a guy who has won the Premier League, Champions League, Club World Cup, with over 30 England caps including England player of the year 6 or 7 years ago. Versus a guy who just won the World Cup and starring in the final alongside a certain Lionel Messi.

For little old Brighton. Crazy times!

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I think the idea of dropping players has less meaning now that squads are so key to tactics. The five subs rule also supports this. While we all like to pitch our "best 11" in reality the best 11 varies both with the opposition and also during a game. There may be times when players are left out of the squad for motivational reasons (Trossard?)or less often disciplinary reasons.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Will certainly be interesting. Difficult decisions to be made.

Think Ferguson drops out, but not quite sure.

200% sure Ali Mac will start though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No titting around, we’ve seen what happened when Veltman isn’t played. Sarmiento, Trossard, Lamptey and Lallana don’t start.

Ferguson
Mitoma Gross March
Caicedo MacAllister
Estupinan Colwill Dunk Veltman
Sanchez
This looks the likeliest. Webster might replace Colwill, but I doubt it, as he'll be eased back if RdZ thinks he warrants a starting-place. Ferguson also might not start with either Tross or Lallana coming in. Barring injuries, can't see anything else different.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports