Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who's RdZ gonna drop?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We go to a bang in form Championship team in the cup and absolutely annihilate them. We then genuinely wonder whether it is wise starting our two goal and recent world cup winning midfielder for the home game against Liverpool in our vital six pointer for the European places.

This is all absolutely mental and I genuinely can't believe it sometimes.

For what it's worth, I'd start Mac Allister. f*** knows who you drop though. It's not like we have any shit players is it?
I think you're forgetting about Solly 'League One At Best' March!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We go to a bang in form Championship team in the cup and absolutely annihilate them. We then genuinely wonder whether it is wise starting our two goal and recent world cup winning midfielder for the home game against Liverpool in our vital six pointer for the European places.

This is all absolutely mental and I genuinely can't believe it sometimes.

For what it's worth, I'd start Mac Allister. f*** knows who you drop though. It's not like we have any shit players is it?
And there you have it. The squad is too big. And too good. We're finished. FINISHED!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don’t rate him that much (not awful or anything). Goal was down to him today, too ponderous in possession and I would argue Webster better on the ball, and is also a better defender.
I'd be minded to keep Colwill in for several reasons -- and I think you know by now how highly I rate Webster. I disagree with your assessment of Colwill. He looks cracking defensively, and the ponderous possession is deliberate, and suggested by RdZ: have a look at how Shatkar used to play when he was there -- it's about drawing on the press and to take advantage of the opposition being somewhat out of kilter at that moment. Colwill plays a number of devastating passes through the lines. I'd be delighted if we bought him, but don't think Chelsea want to sellz.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I agree with those advocating Lallana has to start. He’s the organiser in there and - as good as the others are - the most technically and tactically proficient.

A toss-up between Gross and Mac Allister for me.
Watching the highlights on the club's site just now, it was really interesting to see Lallana chatting to JPVH during his goal celebration. I have no idea what he was saying - it didn't look like he was having a go at him - but almost like coaching him or giving him advice on what to do.

To have that attention to detail, or thought after you've just scored, is invaluable on the pitch. IMO, like...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'd be minded to keep Colwill in for several reasons -- and I think you know by now how highly I rate Webster. I disagree with your assessment of Colwill. He looks cracking defensively, and the ponderous possession is deliberate, and suggested by RdZ: have a look at how Shatkar used to play when he was there -- it's about drawing on the press and to take advantage of the opposition being somewhat out of kilter at that moment. Colwill plays a number of devastating passes through the lines. I'd be delighted if we bought him, but don't think Chelsea want to sellz.
Regardless of the press, I don’t think he’s great defensively, and is a poor version of Webster. Although he has pace, he needs it, as positionally he isn’t great, he isn’t powerful in the air, and his headers go up rather than out.

He’s weaker on the ball than Webster, see the goal yesterday. Dunk looks a worse player beside him, and is constantly getting dragged into the wrong area. I actually thought Van Hecke looked better yesterday.

However, he does have potential longer term and he will be learning from this development, but not going to agree with you on this one. 😃

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
However, he does have potential longer term and he will be learning from this development, but not going to agree with you on this one. 😃
exactly - he’s 19, to put it into perspective Dunk was 21/22 when he started playing Championship football

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
... the ponderous possession is deliberate, and suggested by RdZ: have a look at how Shatkar used to play when he was there -- it's about drawing on the press and to take advantage of the opposition being somewhat out of kilter at that moment.
Exactly what led to the third goal.

It's funny nobody ever talks about Estupinan. He just quietly gets on with his job, has contributed some excellent passes that have lead to goals and can't yet recall him ever being responsible for us conceding ( no doubt someone will correct me on that!)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It's funny nobody ever talks about Estupinan. He just quietly gets on with his job, has contributed some excellent passes that have lead to goals and can't yet recall him ever being responsible for us conceding ( no doubt someone will correct me on that!)
Definitely. My MoM yesterday.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I agree totally with your overall point, I’m really impressed with him.

But on the last bit, I would say he was equally as culpable as Sanchez for the goal we conceded against Everton.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Hmmm was very poor defensively when he first came here. Chelsea gave him issues. Both goals Vs wolves down his side. Poor defensively again Vs villa. And Everton goal his fault

He's improving defensively for sure. And incredible going forward.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hmmm was very poor defensively when he first came here. Chelsea gave him issues. Both goals Vs wolves down his side. Poor defensively again Vs villa. And Everton goal his fault

He's improving defensively for sure. And incredible going forward.
Yup. Cucurella was better defensively and possible this will remain the case, put Pervis is quicker, got a lot better crosses and especially times his runs much better. Cucurella would often go too early (still does it in Chelsea) receiving the ball while in a standing position, whereas Pervis waits for the moment and is usually mid-run its time to get him the ball.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't want to detract from your core point, as he's really cemented his place after a shakier start. As has already been pointed out, I thought he was as culpable as Sanchez for the penalty against Everton (although it was Sanchez that copped it on NSC). I thought he was most at fault for Toney's first goal -- he over-committed leaving acres of space behind him -- but it was Webster that was blamed for this one.
He's so dynamic, quick and has an amazing engine too -- a real delight.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
There seems to be a presumption that

Why make a presumption to ‘drop’ anyone? We have a deeper squad now which can only be good as older players start to slow down, cover for match bans, injuries, (sulking!) etc - ‘dropping’ players from the start or the bench on specific match days (especially tactically to face particular opponents) doesn’t need to be an issue in a rotating side or is this thread about ‘dropping’ players permanently from the squad? I wasnt sure!🤷‍♂️
Yes, it's more about rotation for me - maybe the team that finishes the match can sometimes be more important than the 11 that start it.
It should be seen as a 'whole', I think.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yup. Cucurella was better defensively and possible this will remain the case, put Pervis is quicker, got a lot better crosses and especially times his runs much better. Cucurella would often go too early (still does it in Chelsea) receiving the ball while in a standing position, whereas Pervis waits for the moment and is usually mid-run its time to get him the ball.
I think that horse has bolted already. His defending has fallen apart.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think that horse has bolted already. His defending has fallen apart.
Its been shite for most of the season but one of their best players against Bournemouth and Nottingham. Think much of his poor performances this season comes from being hospitalised two weeks in the summer and dropping five kilos from a body that probably couldn't afford that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here