Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will still buy the sun?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Actually the locals in the Stanley bookies up there used to give me right dirty looks for having the Sun

Funnily enough I was in the bookies too. Guy sat down next to me and my mate and said "you two students?". He said "thougt so. We don't read that shit round here." He did get quite emotional about it too. He went into some detail.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Why is everybody blaming the Sun, for running a story that was fed to them by the Police in the first place. The Police fed the story to Mackenzie and he was happy to run it, that was wrong. But how was Mackenzie to know he was being fed a pack of lies?.The bigger picture here is the Police themselves, not some low life editor who was acting on the "facts" he was given at the time. The Police should be bought too book over this and someone should serve some hard time for it.

This.

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012

I'm not usually prone towards the conspiracy brigade, but I would be very surprised if Mackenzie didn't have his paid members in the constabulary - similar to recent reports of such bungs and the Murdoch world - telling him the odds as regards facts on the ground... the outcome as always being the quick buck, on the back of advised ('legal') impunity...:vuvu:

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
bought it at 6.30 this morning and will do for the foreseeable future. 3 million copies sold each day. The sun paper is the paper, how many sales do the Guardian get? *snigger*

10 million people watch X-Factor every week, does that mean it's a good TV show?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
i buy the sun just to read the beloved agony aunt....classic stuff

This. Dear Deirdre is ace!

I thought they could have shown a bit more remorse with the cover this morning. By making just a passing reference to its role, in comparison with the "The truth" full page splash back then, is, in my opinion, a bit of a cop out.

That The Sun is so popular says a lot about what the British public want from a newspaper.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
10 million people watch X-Factor every week, does that mean it's a good TV show?

Quite. It's cheap and full of crap. A lot of people like cheap crap, Unfortunately, not as many like intelligent reporting and opinion. The world would be better if more people liked the Guardian.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Why is everybody blaming the Sun, for running a story that was fed to them by the Police in the first place. The Police fed the story to Mackenzie and he was happy to run it, that was wrong. But how was Mackenzie to know he was being fed a pack of lies?.The bigger picture here is the Police themselves, not some low life editor who was acting on the "facts" he was given at the time. The Police should be bought too book over this and someone should serve some hard time for it.

Its called corroborating the facts and not just taking one source and using their word as gospel, even if it is the police! You know journalism!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Guardian is my choice as it not only has fair news coverage, it's written intelligently and G2 has good articles and features for weekdays and I can just about do the crossword most days.

We buy the Saturday Guardian in our house, but the sports coverage is shite. If only it had The Telegraph's sport coverage.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I am never getting arrested, the police lie. I am never voting, politicians lie. I am never using a bank, they lie. Salesman lie. The internet is full of mistruths. Supermarkets are not always truthful. Lets not get started about holiday companies. I must say though, i do like the Sun Holidays. The paper should be judged on what it does today, not the mistakes of 23 years ago with staff that no longer work for them. And lets not forget where the real blame for this lies, With the Police

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
bought it at 6.30 this morning and will do for the foreseeable future. 3 million copies sold each day. The sun paper is the paper, how many sales do the Guardian get? *snigger*

Uh-huh, because popularity and quality are the same thing in your world, right? I suppose that means The Saturdays are better musicians than Miles Davis was, and Dan Brown is a better writer than George Orwell?

Sometimes I wonder exactly how far the Sun would have to go for people like you to say "enough's enough". Anyone with any sense of morality at all would have drawn the line at hacking the phone of and giving false hope to the parents of a raped and murdered teenage girl. But no, there are always idiots willing to point to the footie coverage. Then we discover that the paper willingly and (I'm pretty certain we'll discover) knowingly blackened the names of 96 dead fellow football fans, guilty of nothing except going to watch a game of football.

They published a total lie that fans were stealing from and (bizarrely) pissing on the dead. How far to they have to go? Because, by continuing to buy this hate-filled rag, you're giving a thumbs-up to all of this: and don't kid yourself otherwise.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Uh-huh, because popularity and quality are the same thing in your world, right? I suppose that means The Saturdays are better musicians than Miles Davis was, and Dan Brown is a better writer than George Orwell?

Sometimes I wonder exactly how far the Sun would have to go for people like you to say "enough's enough". Anyone with any sense of morality at all would have drawn the line at hacking the phone of and giving false hope to the parents of a raped and murdered teenage girl. But no, there are always idiots willing to point to the footie coverage. Then we discover that the paper willingly and (I'm pretty certain we'll discover) knowingly blackened the names of 96 dead fellow football fans, guilty of nothing except going to watch a game of football.

They published a total lie that fans were stealing from and (bizarrely) pissing on the dead. How far to they have to go? Because, by continuing to buy this hate-filled rag, you're giving a thumbs-up to all of this: and don't kid yourself otherwise.

Excellent post.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I can see how easy it is to get the facts wrong. FYI the News of the world hacked the phone not the Sun. Although owned by the same person, they were two separate businesses.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I can see how easy it is to get the facts wrong. FYI the News of the world hacked the phone not the Sun. Although owned by the same person, they were two separate businesses.

As much as I love the irony of being taken to task over facts in support of the Sun, they weren't separate businesses. They were stablemates; you only have to look at the fluid movement of senior staff between the two and the shared corporate "values" (such as they were) to realise that the NotW was the Sunday Sun in all but name, much as the Observer and Guardian are pretty much indivisible nowadays.

It's not a coincidence these things happened by at the same company, and I maintain that by buying the Sun, people are endorsing and supporting the systems, values and individuals that caused them to happen.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
I will, the sport is pretty good in it and some of the Columns, ok the news is crap, when you only get half an hour for lunch and not being able to read to and from work, it passes the time.
Yes I feel sorry to the families involved in hillsborough, but it's not going to change what paper I want to look at regardless of what some people think

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
As much as I love the irony of being taken to task over facts in support of the Sun, they weren't separate businesses. They were stablemates; you only have to look at the fluid movement of senior staff between the two and the shared corporate "values" (such as they were) to realise that the NotW was the Sunday Sun in all but name, much as the Observer and Guardian are pretty much indivisible nowadays.

It's not a coincidence these things happened by at the same company, and I maintain that by buying the Sun, people are endorsing and supporting the systems, values and individuals that caused them to happen.

At the end of the day, you stated the Sun as being responsible for the hacking. When it was the News of the world. Giving the climate that we expect the newspapers to report accurate stories, the same should apply on here. Sky is also owned by the same people, however as yet people are not saying we should give up sky, that also includes the time newspaper. The News of the world no longer exists. Simply buying the sun does not mean that anyone supports any system of value that the paper holds. I feel that on any issues I can make my own mind up and do not rely on the Sun to shape my thoughts.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
See, you're not understanding me. BSkyB is a separate company, as is Times Newspapers Ltd. Personally I think there's plenty of reason to avoid those two as well, but at least they are separate entities, albeit ones owned by a deeply suspicious parent company. The NotW and the Sun are/were the same, both published by a different part of News Corp, News Group Newspapers. They shared offices, staff, contacts, and often stories and campaigns. The Times is also owned by News Corp, but is not and was not part of News Group Newspapers, which is where the rot is.

I'm not convinced that the other parts of the Murdoch empire are clean, but I understand why people might choose to presume they are. News Group Newspapers, however- the bit which published the NotW and does publish the Sun- is quite evidently riven with practices which should be shocking enough to stop you buying the product of those practices. That it doesn't is deeply saddening.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I may be in the minority, and certainly in the minority admitting it, but I'll probably be buying it in the future.

Unfashionable a view as it may be today, I don't hold the new staff and editor today reponsible for the action of (primarily) one lunatic 23 years ago. That is just my view though, I wouldn't expect it to be shared by the people of Liverpool and perhaps others. But you will still see The Sun used in newspaper reviews, and being the basis for talk show phone-ins.

Mackenzie overuled and ignored a lot of people that day, but he was the boss, and as with many jobs if you defy the boss, you get sacked.

I also believe that for what its worth, Mohan and the paper have acted appropriately yesterday and today given these new findings, though that clearly doesn't make up for the other 23 years.

I do think Mackenzie is totally discredited. If he'd had any guts he would have done an interview yesterday with a full apology (he's still blaming other people in his release). I would not expect the BBC to use him anywhere as much, if at all, from now on.

The proprietor is still the same. Murdoch (and the politicians he was thick as thieves with at the time) were fully briefed and totally behind the story because it suited their anti-football fan agenda at the time. That agenda has not changed, he holds us in total contempt, as was shown by his behaviour at the Levinson Inquiry.

As for The Sun's great sport's coverage mentioned by others, tittle-tattle and exclusive columns by dimwits doesn't make for insightful journalism IMO.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Lots of Germans voted for Hitler too, guess that makes him okay in your eyes too, though having read a few of your other posts I think that could be the case anyway...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here