[Football] Who will qualify for the 2023-24 UEFA Europa League?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Oh no, I'd much rather Bratislava for that. Always fancied going there

See I went to Bratislava on a city break last year, so I’m hoping we avoid that!

If you ever go, they’ve got a restaurant that looks like an alien spaceship on top of a bridge, and it’s well worth going to. Just don’t look at the bill.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
So after the first legs in the Champions Lge and Europa Lge Play-Offs here is a potential line up and breakdown for who is which pot. (For the drawn games I've given the higher ranked team the benefit of coming out on top after the 2nd leg and taking their rightful place in either the Champs Lge [meaning the loser gets the Europa Lge spot] or Europa Lge qualification). We come out as originally predicted into Pot 3 "seeded" 20 avoiding trips to Azerbaijan, Slovakia, Norway, Moldova (probably), Belgium and Israel. Thankfully, wouldn't leave too many options for long trips to Eastern Europe from teams in the other pots, so some potential 'nice' West/Central Europe games? Although nightmare scenario could be Pot 1 - Dinamo Zagreb, Pot 2 - Slavia Prague and Pot 4 - TSC Backa Topola:eek:.
I've never been more interested and keenly watching European football on a Thursday night as has been the case for the past few weeks. Roll on next week when we will know for sure where our passports might take us:lolol:.

View attachment 165480
Prague a nightmare??

I’m the opposite, gutted that most of the projected pot 3 sides are the ones high on my list of teams/places I’d like to visit.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I was originally thinking that we need to research all the various airports we could possibly go to in advance of the draw.
But it's dawned on me that once the draw is made we will know our three opponents and still have a few hours (or even maybe overnight) to do the research before each fixture date is confirmed.

I'm hoping to go to one of the first two away games, but although I'm a season ticket holder I have very few loyalty points.
So I'm expecting to travel ticketless and try and pick something up out there.
Therefore, I'm hoping for a large stadium that isn't too hostile and that doesn't usually sell out.
Same boat as you, or train, or plane, or car.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
So after the first legs in the Champions Lge and Europa Lge Play-Offs here is a potential line up and breakdown for who is which pot. (For the drawn games I've given the higher ranked team the benefit of coming out on top after the 2nd leg and taking their rightful place in either the Champs Lge [meaning the loser gets the Europa Lge spot] or Europa Lge qualification). We come out as originally predicted into Pot 3 "seeded" 20 avoiding trips to Azerbaijan, Slovakia, Norway, Moldova (probably), Belgium and Israel. Thankfully, wouldn't leave too many options for long trips to Eastern Europe from teams in the other pots, so some potential 'nice' West/Central Europe games? Although nightmare scenario could be Pot 1 - Dinamo Zagreb, Pot 2 - Slavia Prague and Pot 4 - TSC Backa Topola:eek:.
I've never been more interested and keenly watching European football on a Thursday night as has been the case for the past few weeks. Roll on next week when we will know for sure where our passports might take us:lolol:.

View attachment 165480
Coefficient boring ;)

Please put stadium capacity and nearest airport por favor. Pretty please.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Lask the most boring in pot 2 by far. Shit stadium , dull night out. No thanks !! The rest look great.

Pot 1 looks excellent all round. Zagreb the crappest draw but I had a quick look and it's cheap flights and pretty good night out.

Pot 4 pretty good as well, feels weird that panathinaikos and aek are in that pot. Big clubs. Rakow is near Krakow.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The first legs of the Europa League play-offs have been completed.
View attachment 165474
A few teams may have already confirmed their place in the Europa League group stage:
  • Ajax (Netherlands) won 4-1 away at Ludogorets Razgrad (Bulgaria), with a hat-trick from someone called "Kudus" 🤔
  • Olympiacos (Greece) and Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia) won their home ties 3-1 against Cukaricki (Serbia) and Sparta Prague (Czech Republic) respectively.
  • Whilst Qarabag (Azerbaijan), Slavia Prague (Czechia) and a familiar Union Saint-Gilloise (Belgium) all won 2-0 in their first legs.
However, there are some matches in the balance:
  • Klaksvik may have drew 1-1 at home to Sheriff Tiraspol (Moldova) but that trip to the Faroe Islands is still on.
  • Aberdeen (Scotland) got a great 2-2 draw away at BK Hacken (Sweden), hopefully setting up an entertaining match at Pittodrie Stadium.
  • And finally, both LASK (Austria) and Slovan Bratislava (Slovakia) won 2-1 at home against Zrinjski Mostar (Bosnia & Herzegovina) and Aris Limassol (Cyprus) respectively.
This time, next week, we will know all 32 qualifiers for this season's Europa League group stage - if all goes to plan 🤞
So as the excitement builds, who would you like Brighton to face against? I would like Amsterdam or Athens (y)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Here are the projected pots for those interested...

Roma
Sparta Prague
Brighton
AEK Athens

This would be a great draw!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Lask the most boring in pot 2 by far. Shit stadium , dull night out. No thanks !! The rest look great.

Pot 1 looks excellent all round. Zagreb the crappest draw but I had a quick look and it's cheap flights and pretty good night out.

Pot 4 pretty good as well, feels weird that panathinaikos and aek are in that pot. Big clubs. Rakow is near Krakow.
How do you know it’s a dull night out? Surely it’s what you make of it? I’ve had better nights out on football trips in Europe in Bielefeld, Leuven and Arnhem than I have in Barcelona & Munich!

Zagreb could be more fun than Villarreal you’d think?

The random ones may well surprise you

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
How do you know it’s a dull night out? Surely it’s what you make of it? I’ve had better nights out on football trips in Europe in Bielefeld, Leuven and Arnhem than I have in Barcelona & Munich!

Zagreb could be more fun than Villarreal you’d think?

The random ones may well surprise you
With villa I guess most would stay in Valencia. But yes Zagreb would be a good one still.

Lask.sorry sticking with my original opinion dull dull dull. But I'm sure interesting for others.

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
I was originally thinking that we need to research all the various airports we could possibly go to in advance of the draw.
But it's dawned on me that once the draw is made we will know our three opponents and still have a few hours (or even maybe overnight) to do the research before each fixture date is confirmed.

I'm hoping to go to one of the first two away games, but although I'm a season ticket holder I have very few loyalty points.
So I'm expecting to travel ticketless and try and pick something up out there.
Therefore, I'm hoping for a large stadium that isn't too hostile and that doesn't usually sell out.
Does anyone know how long it normally takes before the actual dates of the fixtures are announced?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else got a recent PANG of "Oh f***, this is actually happening?"

Brighton in European competition. What a time to be alive.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Does anyone know how long it normally takes before the actual dates of the fixtures are announced?
We already know the dates just not which teams on which dates and if home or away.
The fact that it will only be 20 days until the first game, I suspect that the games will be announced fairly swiftly as obviously the clubs need to talk to each other and arrange ticket allocation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
With villa I guess most would stay in Valencia. But yes Zagreb would be a good one still.

Lask.sorry sticking with my original opinion dull dull dull. But I'm sure interesting for others.
Why would LASK be dull? I'd quite like that one: visiting the home city of Kepler, Wittgenstein and Bruckner (let's just gloss over the Hitler connection) would be interesting. And it's on the Danube, which is always a plus in my book. It's a place rich in Austrian history too (I think it may have been the capital at one point). I've just checked what's on and Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder is playing in the first week of games and Der Freischutz is on later.

It would be pretty high on my list of venues.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
What an exciting week ahead! My only sadness is that I suspect there is little chance I would get to an away game as I am a mere A+ member and I accept there are 22,000 ahead of me in the queue! I suppose you never know what happens but I’ll be happy enough just seeing the home games. I’ve been to around 75 games overseas already and wouldn’t mind adding to that list if I had the chance but fair enough if I can’t - let’s see ...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports