Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who was the fastest ever Brighton player?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
LuaLua pre-injury was pretty sharp.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I really don't think LuaLua has much pace over anything but a few strides. It's why his game seems to have become so dependent upon stopping, bringing his marker to a standstill, before a very quick burst to get the space to deliver a shot, cross, shotcross or blaze over to row Z.

Something tells me you don't rate KLL
Don't suppose there's any chance we'll sell him?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Craig Noone would be up there I reckon. Maybe time is dulling the memory but I think he was at least as fast as Buckley.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I asked the late Mel Hopkins who was the opponent who gave him the most trouble and he said it was the sheer pace of a winger who played for Sheffield United (name forgotten), not Garrincha (tricky), not Stanley Matthews (likes the ball to feet) not Tom Finney (the best).

With a player who likes the ball at his feet not so much a problem, it is covering the space where the pacy winger can run into that was the problem. Mel liked to intercept the ball before it got to the winger which was much easier to recover if the player had the ball at his feet. I expect a player who could trap the ball on the move, on the half turn, would be tricky to deal with? (Warburton said Pritchard was good at that!)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Gerry Fell

Good shout. When he got going he covered ground quickly, most notably at Charlton when we lost 4-3.

Our quickest centre forward was probably Terry Connor (sprint speed) although Bobby Zamora was quicker over short distances (acceleration).

I thought Lee Steele had a fair turn of pace in the lower divisions.

I thought names of old Peter O'Sullivan, Howard Wilkinson, and Granny Goodchild were all rather slow.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS people you all should be ashamed of yourselves.
There's only one answer:-

Kanchelskis.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Dave Armstrong, heading south with a following northerly wind, was so quick he couldn't stop until he had gone through the turnstile and bounced off the wall of Clarke's bakery. Quick but couldn't cross his legs let alone a ball.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some one mentioned Albert Jarret, not sure if it was him but from around that era i recal the football league TV show had a "fastest player" bit. one of out players was fastest 2-3 in the league im sure

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Dave Armstrong was seriously quick but one of the most abysmal crossers I've ever seen,

Can't think of anyone faster over the past 50 years though

I have to agree. In all my sixty years watching the Albion, Armstrong was without doubt the fastest, closely followed in my opinion by Frankie Howard. I seem to remember it being reported at the time, that Armstrong was close to being able to run the 100 yards (as it was then) in a time that would qualify for the British athletic team.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here