Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who was the fastest ever Brighton player?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I really don't think LuaLua has much pace over anything but a few strides. It's why his game seems to have become so dependent upon stopping, bringing his marker to a standstill, before a very quick burst to get the space to deliver a shot, cross, shotcross or blaze over to row Z.

I agree. His sprint rate is more of a second striker than a winger. His only future is near and around the penalty area. His ability on his left weaker foot makes him tricky for defenders. His reluctance to run into space is a big downer though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Agree with many Dave Armstrong, he could give full back 10 yards start and still beat him to the ball but then couldn't cross it,

TBF: he had to wait for Alex Dawson to lumber up to the attack.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Junior Mcdougald. Well, his legs were a blur, though a handicapped snail could run rings around him...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The fastest player in the squad at the time of the FA Cup was Neil Smiley, I think the other contender was Michael Ring, I have been told they even had a race at training once and Smiley won it .....................

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didnt we have a player, whose name alludes me, it was Italian sounding, who was Sussex sprint champion think he played a couple of 1st team games in the 80s.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Didnt we have a player, whose name alludes me, it was Italian sounding, who was Sussex sprint champion think he played a couple of 1st team games in the 80s.

Franco Massimo. I went to school with his older brother Tony. Not sure he ever made the first team.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As an aside I remember watching pre season training at Waterhall in 1980, I remember watching Lawrenson absolutely blitzing a drill I think it was either 400m or 800m, it was quite impressive.

Even factoring some indifference to the hard training and cheating by hiding for their cross country runs that summer by the more experienced players like Horton and Foster, the two players that seemed to particularly struggle was Paul Clark (guess his legs too big for the inevitable longer running drills) and the other less obvious one was Gary Williams that although you might presume he had the build for the accumulative running he looked quite weak and uncomfortable in most running drills.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dave Armstrong was seriously quick but one of the most abysmal crossers I've ever seen,

Can't think of anyone faster over the past 50 years though

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Thats him thanks, wasnt he a Sussex sprint champion. I dont know if he did as I thought that he played a cup game like Johnsons Paint Trophy but I could well be wrong.

I think he was sprint champion yes. You may be right. He may have come on as a sub in one game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here