Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who Scored Your 1st Albion Goal?

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
John Byrne, I’m pretty sure though could have been someone else scored first and he scored 2x ??

Was an away match at Ipswich in 1990, and my first season ended with a trip to Wembley, shame the players didn’t turn up that day.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Kit Napier (inswinging corner) v Bury 1969. 2-0 final score :)

I saw that, too! He threatened to do it frequently when he took corners and regularly caused havoc in opposing defences with his corners. Question for the experts: how many times did he do that? I'm pretty sure it was more than once

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Bobby Zamora. League Cup v Wimbledon

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Grummitt was a truly great goalie, the best in our history. Chatting to older Albion fans over the years, they told me about incredible Grummitt saves homes and way.

To me, they didn't look that great. That was because his positional sense was so good, that he didn't need to throw himself around and look spectacular as some goalkeepers do. He was a really good, safe and reassuring goalkeeper and yes, probably our best ever.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Don't remember. The first I recall were the two by Bobby Smith in his Brighton debut vs. Barrow in 1964, and damn good they were too. A surprisingly deft, skilful player for his heavy and ultimately overweight build.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Mine was an OWN GOAL!

Scored by a Mansfield player at the Goldstone, 31 Jan 1976. It won us the game (1-0). Don't know the actual player's name as the record books just say 'OG'.

The first Albion player I saw score was Sammy Morgan, against Palace in front of a 33,000 crowd a couple of months later.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Either Kit Napier or John Napier in a 4-1 win against Barrow in the spring of 1969.

I can't find a list of the order of scorerers online.

Kit Napier, as per the "Albion Results Book" from the Brighton and Hove Albion Collectors' and Historians' Society, now known as the Albion Heritage Society. (The other scorers that day were Dave Armstrong and Alex Dawson with 2).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Google was my friend. Turns out it was Rollo with a near-post header in our 4-0 drubbing of Swindon in Nov 76 (other goal scorers being Wardy and Spider (2)).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here