[Misc] Who on here has been to walk past the Queen's coffin?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you been to walk past the Queen's coffin?

• Total voters

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
My concerns about waiting for so long for the funeral and a coffin being walked past were allayed when I found out it’s a lead lined coffin. Everyday’s a school day, I had no idea they even existed.

Plus she’s been embalmed so I guess the only smell would be formaldehyde.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Each to their own, I just find it very odd behaviour.

Hopefully it brings some comfort to those geniunely (again oddly perhaps) mourning.

I’m no royalist but I wouldn’t deem it ‘odd behaviour,’ it’s living (no pun intended) history to many, the ceremonial nature of it, the guards around the coffin etc. The wait time is inhuman though, especially for those with young kids, really unfair on them, quite selfish arguably, all because YOU want them to experience it.

I’ve watched some of the filing past the coffin online and find it quite meditative, and 100% more interesting than the shite on streaming platforms, people’s real time reactions etc..

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
I am a fairly strong supporter of the Royals and would love to pay my respects however, I am also a realist and have a family and full time job which must come first. If it was local and I could do so in an hour then I would but I can't justify the time or the expense to go to London and lose 24 hours.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think we need another day of mourning for when the queue stops. I am going to miss the coverage of it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Went passed the food bank queue at Portslade Town Hall walking the dog to Victoria Park. On the day they announce they're scrapping banker bonus rules and people queuing 14 hours to see a coffin, I did wonder about the weird juxtapositions of everything.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've got to be in London tomorrow so I might get out of the train at Blackfriars or somewhere just to marvel at the sight of so many people queuing to look at a box containing the remains of a woman they never knew. But that's about it. The queue is the thing worth seeing, not the coffin.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Gonna be cold tonight

Why go, when you can watch it on Mourn Stream 2...??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the longer the queueing time the greater the demand will be. The longer the queue the bigger the sacrifice. And who doesn't want to make a big sacrifice for Her Majesty after what she's done for this country?!?

It doesn't get any more British than this. The people who queued for 14 hours will be the toast of the bowls clubs, the golf club, the Women's Institute. They will return to the shires and Home Counties like victorious soldiers from overseas with a story to tell for the rest of their lives.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not for me, Clive, but good luck to those who are/have done.

Bloody odd though – but then the whole spectacle since last Thursday/Friday is really quite bizarre when you really think about it. Yes, the Queen has died. But is this REALLY all necessary?

I've said before I'll never understand why people get more emotional about the RF than their own and the events of this past week do nothing to persuade me otherwise.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not remotely interested in going myself, an hour at Six Flags for the X2 coaster is about my limit, but each to his/her own..........some of the overly-emotional outpurings look a bit forced to me I'm afraid, and I'm at the point of avoiding the main terrestrial TV channels now though as the wall-to-wall coverage with nothing much new to report has gone beyond dull. Mrs D is in London atm with pals (long-planned short break, nowt to do with the Queen's passing), they have no plans to go either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports