Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is your favourite EVER Albion keeper?

Who's your favourite ever Albion keeper?

• Jason Steele (current)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Robert Sanchez (2020-2023)

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Mathew Ryan (2017-2021)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • David Stockdale (2014-2017)

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Tomasz Kuszczak (2012-2014)

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Peter Brezovan (2009-2014)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Michel Kuipers (2000-2010)

Votes: 121 40.5%
  • Dave Beasant (2003)

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • John Keeley (1986-1990)

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • Perry Digweed (1981-1993)

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • Graham Moseley (1977-1986)

Votes: 32 10.7%
  • Eric Steele (1977-1979)

Votes: 26 8.7%
  • Peter Grummitt (1973-1977)

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 26 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
The best individual keeping performance I think I ever saw for the Albion, was by John Sullivan in a 0-0 draw at Leicester (the game where the Albion had to wear the Leicester away kit because of a clash, and Adams gave an interview afterwards saying the players had 'really fought for the shirt").
The best I remember was an unforgettable performance against us in the '60s by Peter Downsborough for Halifax at the Goldstone. We dominated the match but somehow lost 0-1 only because of him and a string of unbelievable saves. He went on to play for us a few times at the end of his career.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
what was the deal with Nicky Rust? He was a fairly promising keeper wasn't he but lost his place to Ormerod and that was basically it?

Why the big drop off?
I can only assume that his career was a victim of all the turmoil at the club at the time. He made his debut at 18, getting his chance when Beeney was sold, and was really good around the time of that Brady renaissance when we were up near the top of the third tier, knocking PL Leicester out of the league cup and playing lovely football. He was just 19 and had a whole career ahead of him. But players were sold, Brady left, c'nts sold the Goldstone, protests started, we got relegated - you know all this of course, but we don't really think about the effect on individual players.

My dad was given sponsors tickets for the infamous Darlington game in December 96, when we lost 3-2, went 6 points adrift and the fans were on the verge of a riot outside the West Stand after the match. We were taken to the sponsors lounge after the match but all attention was on the inside of the rear gates to the stand which were being hammered away at from the outside - I'm amazed they held really - and people were just scurrying around all over the place. We were led out of the ground via the players entrance, past the changing rooms, and i can still remember clear as anything walking past Peter Smith and Nicky Rust in a narrow corridor. They looked ashen, Rust was just broken. Then when Gritt took over he dropped him, he was released end of the season. He played twice for Barnet, conceding 9 on his debut, then quit full time football at just 24 years old, set up a business and played a bit of non league for 3 or 4 seasons.

Mad really how it went for him. Reckon he was the first Brighton player I watched who was younger than me. Hope he had a decent life. Great goalie on his day.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The best I remember was an unforgettable performance against us in the '60s by Peter Downsborough for Halifax at the Goldstone. We dominated the match but somehow lost 0-1 only because of him and a string of unbelievable saves. He went on to play for us a few times at the end of his career.
Best I’ve seen against us was Joe Lewis for Peterborough (“we’re f***ing brilliant”). We won 3-0, but it could have been TEN.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Best I’ve seen against us was Joe Lewis for Peterborough (“we’re f***ing brilliant”). We won 3-0, but it could have been TEN.
Was there that day, he was great wasn't he, quite early'ish in Season (Oct I think?) and that was the first game under Gus, when I was blown away by not only result, but how we played and the style of play.

We were f***ing brilliant that day and what a joy listening to other Albion fans calling into 606 and buzzing after the game they had just seen.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Moseley, but that is just showing my age.
Which I why I am going for Eric Steele, great memories of him tipping the ball over the bar or past a post. I also really liked Sanchez, and was so relieved when he took over from Ryan. Far from convinced about our current keepers, more like CB's who are allowed to touch the ball, I get the idea I just wish they were in Sanchez' league when it comes to traditional goalkeeping.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Great first stop from Perry… but, you know… I guess we’ve come a long, long way.

I could’ve played in that one and not looked too out of place 😂

Who stole the roof?

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
I'll go for Michelle Kippers if only because he played in an Albion team that had food connections in their name. We had Guy Butters, Dan Curry, Gary Heart, Dean Ham and egg, Kerry Mayo. The team sheet looked like a menu.!!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Which I why I am going for Eric Steele, great memories of him tipping the ball over the bar or past a post. I also really liked Sanchez, and was so relieved when he took over from Ryan. Far from convinced about our current keepers, more like CB's who are allowed to touch the ball, I get the idea I just wish they were in Sanchez' league when it comes to traditional goalkeeping.
But Moseley also made a 'Banks-like' save when he got down to push a header round the post. I have a feeling it was against Everton, but I wouldn't swear to it. Can still see it - dived to his left in the north goal.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If you were in the North you would have been lucky if Bremner hadn't knocked out your false teeth with the odd shot.
I have a strong recollection of Bremner actually going in goal himself once, when the keeper had been sent off / injured? Actually - was it after the famous Digweed incident referred to by quite a few on here?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I can only assume that his career was a victim of all the turmoil at the club at the time. He made his debut at 18, getting his chance when Beeney was sold, and was really good around the time of that Brady renaissance when we were up near the top of the third tier, knocking PL Leicester out of the league cup and playing lovely football. He was just 19 and had a whole career ahead of him. But players were sold, Brady left, c'nts sold the Goldstone, protests started, we got relegated - you know all this of course, but we don't really think about the effect on individual players.

My dad was given sponsors tickets for the infamous Darlington game in December 96, when we lost 3-2, went 6 points adrift and the fans were on the verge of a riot outside the West Stand after the match. We were taken to the sponsors lounge after the match but all attention was on the inside of the rear gates to the stand which were being hammered away at from the outside - I'm amazed they held really - and people were just scurrying around all over the place. We were led out of the ground via the players entrance, past the changing rooms, and i can still remember clear as anything walking past Peter Smith and Nicky Rust in a narrow corridor. They looked ashen, Rust was just broken. Then when Gritt took over he dropped him, he was released end of the season. He played twice for Barnet, conceding 9 on his debut, then quit full time football at just 24 years old, set up a business and played a bit of non league for 3 or 4 seasons.

Mad really how it went for him. Reckon he was the first Brighton player I watched who was younger than me. Hope he had a decent life. Great goalie on his day.
Started a successful building company. Sadly after leaving us he joined Barnet and conceded nine goals on his debut…

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
But Moseley also made a 'Banks-like' save when he got down to push a header round the post. I have a feeling it was against Everton, but I wouldn't swear to it. Can still see it - dived to his left in the north goal.
Ah, Graham Moseley. His accident prone nature entertained the fans but probably not his manager. Had a bit of trouble with a hedge cutter and on another occasion fell through a plate glass window, I believe.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
I have a strong recollection of Bremner actually going in goal himself once, when the keeper had been sent off / injured? Actually - was it after the famous Digweed incident referred to by quite a few on here?

I think that was when Joe Corrigan broke his arm and came of at half time. KB did OK in goal apart from the goal where he fumbled and the ball bounced of his chest.

Jul 7, 2003
I have a feeling this was shown on Big Match Revisited a few weeks ago - if so, must be somewhere on YouTube

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
That was a great performance. However David Marshall for Cardiff in a 0-0 topped that for me. He kept absolutely everything out that game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I remember him as being brilliant, then he got injured. We got a keeper in from Celtic (?) on loan who was also excellent. Rust came back and was absolute shite and never came close to his previous standard, in fact I’d rate him as our worst ever keeper after his injury, other than the Scots git whose name escapes me :shrug:

Back on track - Peter Grummitt for me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here