Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is to blame for this horrendous PR gaff ?

james

May 14, 2004
Lindfield
Poyet said himself that the lawyers had been talking all day today. I can't believe he didn't know what was coming.

As to he message to the bhafc fans, where was the apology for his post match comments after the palace game? He seems to have forgotten what he said!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, it is all opinion. One of the dangers that comes from delaying (even for a few hours) is that the decision may somehow be leaked. There may be quite a lot of actions that were riding on the decision going either way (particularly regarding personnel or legal work) and further delay would have been detrimental to the club's interests. We may never know, but it isn't hard to consider that with an operation such as a professional football club, sitting on news like this may not be feasible.

they've managed to keep a fair bit secret for the last 4 weeks have they not?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Whatever the chronology of who knew what when - it is still shambolic management of a dreadful situation. I'd prefer the club I spend a lot of time caring about to be acting in a more logical and dignified way - but this seems yet again another example of the amateur way this whole episode has unfolded. Almost as if they suddenly realised the players are back tomorrow and the process needed some conclusion. My thinking is that Poyet did well under the studio lights when he must be seething - and he is either a Hollywood level actor or he has been treated shamefully. If you tell the world before the person who is the subject of the investigation what the outcome is, then that is pretty pathetic - and as many have said the club now need to prove they informed Poyet in advance of the BBC show. Perhaps the Argus will be preparing the whole background story for us............ but then again................ I know, don't be silly.

And if the club doesn't issue such a statement showing they did inform GP of the decision prior to his TV appearance then to my mind there is only one inference that can be drawn - one that doesn't show the club in a good light.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
As a general rule of thumb, when you find yourself agreeing with that particular contributer its time to turn off your computer.

:)

:rotlf: Love it Mac, that was as good as a 16-1 winner

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Naylor tweeting that there are further twists coming tonight

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Incredibly badly handled by the Albion management, whoever did whatever, whether Gus is culpable or not and whether or not he knew of the sacking before the BBC3 gig tonight. He gave a Shakespearean performance as the tragic hero and left the club looking the villain on live TV. An embarrassing shambles by the club I am afraid.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Incredibly badly handled by the Albion management, whoever did whatever, whether Gus is culpable or not and whether or not he knew of the sacking before the BBC3 gig tonight. He gave a Shakespearean performance as the tragic hero and left the club looking the villain on live TV. An embarrassing shambles by the club I am afraid.

Further evidence of Gus acting in his own interests over that of the club.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
He has hired a CEO to run the club, he will expect the CEO to know when it is appropriate to ok the release of the statement. Of course he'd be involved in the decision to fire gus

Would he? If, as it appears, the club are doing this by the HR/Corporate world book, would TB have been actively involved during the disciplinary process as he would be the person who would have to hear Gus' appeal?
He would have been informed of the decision but could he have played an active part in it?

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
It's taken five weeks to sack the best manager in a generation, who clearly wants to stay, costing us significant compensation when chances are he would have been snapped up by a bigger club for £2.5m anyway - the debacle causing us public embarrassment, tarnishing of our reputation & starting the new season managerless and potentially having lost four of our best players as a result to boot

"Blinder" is not the word I would use.

Blinder was relating to the timing of the statement. Not the 5 week process which none of us can comment on, as none of us know the facts.

However I struggle with the fact you are embarrassed. I'm not embarrassed, none of my Albion supporting pals are embarrassed. I doubt very much our CEO or Chairman is embarrassed.

Just how embarrassed are you? Will you be able to show your face in public tomorrow?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's taken five weeks to sack the best manager in a generation, who clearly wants to stay, costing us significant compensation when chances are he would have been snapped up by a bigger club for £2.5m anyway - the debacle causing us public embarrassment, tarnishing of our reputation & starting the new season managerless and potentially having lost four of our best players as a result to boot

"Blinder" is not the word I would use.

You don't give up - he clearly wants to stay? Yeah right, he has to say that.

Little info for you- Father Christmas, The Tooth Fairy, the voices in your head, God and so on They are not real.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You don't give up - he clearly wants to stay? Yeah right, he has to say that.

Little info for you- Father Christmas, The Tooth Fairy, the voices in your head, God and so on They are not real.

Why do people feel the need to be so insulting to other people for no real reason ? A real issue for me on internet forums. Most odd. The guy made an opinion without abusing anyone else. Strange World we live in now.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's taken five weeks to sack the best manager in a generation, who clearly wants to stay, ...

sorry, are you having a laugh, hopelessly naive or just ignoring reality? who said the club had reached a ceiling? a blind man could see he wanted away, and its plain he could never come back now. he's just stiring up trouble.

but its OK, club scored first and we know Gus cant win from behind.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't believe the hits keep coming, I feel drained. There has been so much disappointment, incompetence and bullshit it's hard to know where to start.

I agree totally with Uncle Spielberg, this was a PR disaster leading to Albion fans being skewered yet again on national TV. Was Poyet lying? Who knows. He was certainly being a bit cute, seeing as he had been suspended for weeks, the hearing was last week, and a decision was imminent.

But all that doesn't matter. Even given that, and even given (presumably) the desire to have a decision made before the players returned on Monday, doing this without speaking to him personally given that he had that BBC window seems almost unbelievable.

I am actually one of those who had got sick and tired of Poyet's various antics and think he had started to become a liability rather than an asset, but that doesn't mean I give the club carte blanche. They must behave properly and with some class.

After years of careful nurturing and a lot of positive press, the club and its reputation have taken an absolute hammering in seven weeks. A case study of how quickly something built up over so long can disappear.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

Club Statement
PUBLISHED
19:14 23rd June 2013
Gus Poyet has been informed today by Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club's internal disciplinary panel that his employment has been terminated with immediate effect.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-230613-876708.aspx#d4CX0wopb6PKrSEv.99

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here