Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the worst BBC pundit?

Who is the worst BBC football pundit?

• Alan Shearer - tedious Geordie

Votes: 24 12.2%
  • Mark Lawrenson - the world's funniest man (in his own head)

Votes: 15 7.6%
  • Mark Bright - one-eyed Palace thicko

Votes: 69 35.0%
  • Alan Hansen - same act for the last 20 years

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Steve Claridge - rabbit in the headlights

Votes: 18 9.1%
  • Leroy Rosenior - lower league as a player, lower league as a pundit

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Robbie Savage - argument in empty room

Votes: 14 7.1%
  • James Beattie - get off the fence, man!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gordon Strachan - hates the media yet glad to take their money

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Garth Crooks - it's football not a government inquiry

Votes: 47 23.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ibrahimovic truly is an enigmatic presence.
Ibrahimovic was ordinary because he hasn't scored a brace at Stoke on a cold Tuesday night.

Obviously all that changed in the recent friendly during which he absolutely ruined England, at which point we all knew how good he was all along.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
all the others, people dislike on the personality or their style, but they do have knowledge and insight. .

Shearer hasn't any knowledge nor insight.

Yoda

English & European
Not football, but my vote is Colin Jackson. Prior to the start of the Marathon he actually said that "the runners were getting their spikes on ready".

Yeah Colin, like that's going to help them on a ROAD race. :facepalm:

Edit: and to top it of, he's has become THE most hypercritical ex-athlete out there.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Also, listening to the Sky Sports podcast (don't bother) the other day, it did show how Prem-centric people at Sky can be, as when asked their top 5 players in the WORLD, one of them responded:

Messi and Ronaldo (obviously), then Van Persie, then Saurez, then Bale. And the others didn't really argue with it. :facepalm:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Good God it's only when you see that full list that you realise how many shoddy pundits there are! I went for Lawrenson because he's just so miserable but I could have voted for any (although I don't actually mind Claridge or Rosenior as they have a tough job for 72 clubs - The Prem lot only have 20 high profile clubs... No excuse for their lazy commentary)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Also, listening to the Sky Sports podcast (don't bother) the other day, it did show how Prem-centric people at Sky can be, as when asked their top 5 players in the WORLD, one of them responded:

Messi and Ronaldo (obviously), then Van Persie, then Saurez, then Bale. And the others didn't really argue with it. :facepalm:

You see that I'm ok with (to a degree) but you could easily have Lewandowski in there plus Ibrahimovic, Neymar, Falcao, Iniesta... The list goes on. For me what I struggle with is the lack of any in depth comparison or even mention of these players.

gordonchas

Jul 1, 2012
This is one of those almost impossible questions but I have to say Mark Bright, and I'm not even a Brighton fan so my choice is clean of any suggestion of rivalry-bias.

There isn't one single football pundit on any channel I can listen to, in fact there isn't even a single commentator I can abide on any channel. The mere thought of having 90 minutes of Peter Drury searching for the bon-mot from his pre-scripted list of ad-libs is too much to bear.

As a previous poster said, this is in stark contrast to other sports. In cricket, all the commentators are fine with one exception - Paul Allott reaches football-ian levels of imbecility and is the only one who has me racing for the mute button.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
All of the above are poor pundits, Rosenior and Lawrenson annoy me (only) slightly less than the rest. It's the same on radio5, mostly poor. The strangest are Crooks, Claridge and Motson who sound as if they're disagreeing even when they agree and have the strangest pitch changes in their voices. Alan Green has to be the most subversive as he pretends to support England but really enjoys it when things go wrong. The presenters aren't much better, Colin Murray, good grief, you can't get away from him! Robbie Savage always sticking up for his mates Hughes and Mancini is also very tedious and Shearer and Bright are the type that make people think that all footballers are unintelligent.

Yoda, if you follow athletics on forums, Athletics Weekly for example, you'll find that the people there can't stand any of the what they call 'Talking Heads' and usually turn the commentary off, the only one they can stand is Steve Cram.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I also dislike Ian Mcgarry HUGELY. I only really hear him on 'Monday night club' but he is horrible.

But to me this is a clear two horse race. Bright and Crooks. I vote for GARTH because I actually say "oh ****" when he is on TV because he genuinly makes my skin CRAWL.

He makes statement in an agressive manner which he, for some ridiculous reason, thinks are PROFOUND. He will start .saying.the.words.like.this.so.we.get.the.extreme.nature.of.what.he.is.saying.

"The thing is Gabby what you need to remember is.if.they.score.one.more.goal.than.the.other.team.then.they.will.win.and.the.fans.will.be.happy" followed by a smug sitting back into his chair.

Bright is just horrible also. On co-commentary he shouts over the top of the main commentator and I just can't forget when we got The amex built he sat there smugly saying it was 'ridiculous' that we had a changing room for our mascot and just dismissed the whole thing. Oh **** OFF Mark.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Another vote for Crooks - ex Stoke born and bred. Got himself electrocuted (I wish) to lose the accent and now thinks he's football pundit "royalty" when he's really a grade A pillock ! :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You see that I'm ok with (to a degree) but you could easily have Lewandowski in there plus Ibrahimovic, Neymar, Falcao, Iniesta... The list goes on. For me what I struggle with is the lack of any in depth comparison or even mention of these players.

But you could tell that in the guys' mind the Premier League IS the world of football. He didn't even try to think of anyone outside the Prem. He said Messi and Ronaldo because he knows you have to include them, then he just thought of the best 3 players in the Prem currently.

Adrian (I look like I'm always just about to sneeze) Childes.

But as he doesn't work for BBC anymore, Garth Crooks.

I am 100% sure that if I ever met him walking down a street I would feel DUTY BOUND to punch him repeatedly in the boat until he be dead.

Feb 24, 2012
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned him but Neil 'if I'm honest' Warnock seems to be embarking on a punditry career which needs to be nipped in the bud as I think he is a huge bellend.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Lawrenson should have been put out to pasture years ago, I genuinely nod off when he talks.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I actually quite like Lawro. Can understand why people don't like Crooks but he does at least offer something a bit different from the other pundits who just state the bleeding obvious all the time. Don't mind Claridge and he always says good things about us. My vote would be split between Bright and Shearer, who lacks any kind of perceptiveness or insight. Waste of space the pair of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here