Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the next Beckham

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
very few sportsmen on the planet have EVER come close to beckhams stardom. Very much doubt an englishman in any sport will ever come close to replicating him

Really can't think of many athletes who are as famous as he is outside of the sporting world

If the question is will there be another player as FAMOUS? Agreed. Another as GOOD? Beckham wasn't even near the best of his generation.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Well based on their children's names so far, who knows? But it could be be "Under Shoreham Flyover" or "at bottom of Dukes Mound"?

Have I got this thread wrong because I don't remember Posh having a child called Will Hughes?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
At a lower level Ashley Barnes is actually genuinely a good comparison to make.

Very very hungry to succeed, a petulant streak he's fighting to get rid of, limited technical ability that he works incredibly hard to improve.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Butland
Dier
Caulker
Jones
Shaw
Wilshire
Barkley
CM
Oxlade-Chamberlin
ST
Sterling

I'm sure there are others, but these all look pretty good youth prospects. None are a new Beckham though.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not one to over do it on my praise of Derby players, but Will Hughes is very very good, the most natural footballer I've seen in a Derby shirt, miles ahead of Huddlestone at the same age. 2nd youngest England U21 player, so some people think he's not bad. That said, Mason Bennett is the more likely 'superstar'....

I'm just glad that after 10 years, the academy is starting to pay dividends.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Very very hungry to succeed, a petulant streak he's fighting to get rid of, limited technical ability that he works incredibly hard to improve.

I really can't get on with this limited technical ability myth. He's one of the best passers to ever live and his ball control was brilliant. Just because he wasn't quick enough to go past defenders, people use it as a stick to beat him with.

Ironically Utd have just paid £10 mil for a player who is the opposite of Beckham, he can take the ball past defenders but he can't do anything with it at the end.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tattoos!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Can't think of many 18 year old English lads playing in the prem a few bench warmers maybe, to get experience and games under the belt the championship is a better place for an 18 year old to start
Look at the likes of David Guiddeti he's 21 and has no chance of playing for Man City this season just as well come to the Albion where he'll get a game

Southampton had 3 18 year olds on the pitch last weekend. Luke Shaw, james Ward-Prowse and somebody else. Luke Shaw in particular is a star.

PS - admittedly it was the first time it had happened for years - at Southampton or anywhere else - in the top flight.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not one to over do it on my praise of Derby players, but Will Hughes is very very good, the most natural footballer I've seen in a Derby shirt, miles ahead of Huddlestone at the same age. 2nd youngest England U21 player, so some people think he's not bad. That said, Mason Bennett is the more likely 'superstar'....

I'm just glad that after 10 years, the academy is starting to pay dividends.

I've seen him play a couple of times now & I thought bearing in mind he was only 17 at the time, he was the fulcrum around which Derby's entire midfield functioned. He went off injured early in the game at the Amex last season I think, and Derby were far worse after that.

Odd looking individual, if we have to consider the Complete Badger's criteria for greatness, but nonetheless looks a really decent player to me.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've seen him play a couple of times now & I thought bearing in mind he was only 17 at the time, he was the fulcrum around which Derby's entire midfield functioned. He went off injured early in the game at the Amex last season I think, and Derby were far worse after that.

Odd looking individual, if we have to consider the Complete Badger's criteria for greatness, but nonetheless looks a really decent player to me.

Quite, although he looks slightly less odd than when he first started.....

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Beckham is a "product of Sir Alex Ferguson's school of hard graft" at Manchester United. Ferguson noted that Beckham "practised with a discipline to achieve an accuracy that other players wouldn't care about."[193] Beckham reportedly spent hours after training sessions ended practicing his free kicks. Ferguson was quoted as saying "David Beckham is Britain’s finest striker of a football not because of God-given talent but because he practises with a relentless application that the vast majority of less gifted players wouldn’t contemplate."[194]

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I saw him at the Goldstone on his debut, didn't even notice him tbh as I only found out he made his debut against us years later. I did however notice Hughes last year at a similar or even younger age than Beckham was when I first saw him play.

Did you really though? he was subbed off after about 30mins with an injury and hadnt done anything of note before the change.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did you really though? he was subbed off after about 30mins with an injury and hadnt done anything of note before the change.

Yes he looked quality so we kicked him is how I remember it, I had a discussion, with the guys I go with, how it was a good thing, for us, that he was going off as he looked Derby's most creative player :shrug:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes he looked quality so we kicked him is how I remember it, I had a discussion, with the guys I go with, how it wss a good thing, for us, that he was going off as he looked Derby's most creative player :shrug:

He did, as they say, have a job done on him...... Dirty Brighton :)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
If the question is will there be another player as FAMOUS? Agreed. Another as GOOD? Beckham wasn't even near the best of his generation.

Spot on there Mr M. Additionally, it's far more succinct and polite than I could've managed in a million years.

No doubt the hideous 'celebrity' magazines & websites will forever hold him & his wretched wife as the High Priest & Priestess of Celebrity Kulcha. Triffick. :sick:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The recent results of the England under 21's and junior level teams points to the paucity of talent coming through. I do not see a "New Becks" on the horizon, although a super player without the marketing media machine would suit me fine. By that token, Sir Stanley Mathews would not get a look in.

I do not think that teenage performances are the necessary indicators. We learned later that we had seen Beckham's first team debut at The Goldstone in the early '90's, but how many noticed him at the time? In contrast, I saw a teen Charlie George come on as sub for Arsenal at Highbury and the effect was electric, he lit up the ground and galvanised the team into action

Papers say that Will Hughes is on his way to L/Pool - if they are to be believed

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Will be some Spanish kid with a nan from crewe, probably with a name like Juan Mihnngeata , it will take him a lot less time to speak english than Beckam so thats a bonus .

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We want someone who lights up the pitch when he is on it, someone who inspires his peers to better themselves and drag English football out of the pit of mediocrity and money grabbing. Someone who can inspire our national team to beat all-comers.

What we don't need is another Sky/Premier League poster boy, who is more famous for his haircuts, tattoos, underpants and his wife, than he is for his exploits on the football field. I am sure Mr Beckham worked hard and is a jolly nice chap, but he was a limited footballer who could not do any of the above. That is English football's problem - we build up above average players as world-class and legends and then wonder why we never win anything - Rooney, Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand etc etc.

Sadly, I think we could be waiting a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here