Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the next Beckham

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Did you miss a certain game featuring Greece about 12 years ago by any chance?

How many caps did he get? How many times did he actually do something like that?

That free kick and his "wonder goal" from the half way line for Man Utd are his most famous successes. I will acknowledge that he played well in the world cup campaign leading up to that free kick against Greece, but I am afraid that that was it as far as the England team are concerned. Not very good really is it for someone who got more caps than a genuinely great player (Bobby Moore).

He lit up the pitch very occasionally, but could not inspire his peers to better themselves and he certainly did not drag England out of the pit of mediocrity and money grabbing. And he could not inspire England to beat all-comers when they had to.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did you miss a certain game featuring Greece about 12 years ago by any chance?

Macedonia, Greece not exactly world beaters are they? Tell me games he ran against a GOOD international side and I'll name more where he was next to useless. I'll start with Brazil in THAT world cup game, he was rubbish.

I could make a case for Rooney being a world beater but it'd also turn out to be flattering to deceive whenever he plays against a decent team.

Ashley Cole, off the top of my head, is about the only England player that has regularly looked comfortable against the best teams.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Or, he was England's best and most consistent player for a number of years, but was sadly let down by some of the losers he had to play with. I think he did drag England through matches and without him we'd have been far weaker. Let's not forget that as late in his career as 2007 he still came on at half-time against Croatia and almost inspired a draw from certain defeat.

People think that because England haven't won anything for so long that every manager and every player has been a failure. It's not true. Sometimes you have to have perspective and realise that quarter-finals and glorious victories like 5-1 v Germany and 1-0 v Argentina are a good result for a country of our size and quality. England were a very competitive team at the very top level from 2001 to 2006 and there is no greater contributor to that than David.

I do have perspective which I why I say we don't want another Beckham. If Beckham is the best that we can produce, then we have had it. We need to aim higher than St Dave.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Macedonia, Greece not exactly world beaters are they? Tell me games he ran against a GOOD international side and I'll name more where he was next to useless. I'll start with Brazil in THAT world cup game, he was rubbish.

I could make a case for Rooney being a world beater but it'd also turn out to be flattering to deceive whenever he plays against a decent team.

Ashley Cole, off the top of my head, is about the only England player that has regularly looked comfortable against the best teams.

3.20. What was he doing? Still at least his hair looked nice, eh. :rolleyes:

Oct 25, 2003
Records
First Englishman to win league titles in four different countries (England, Spain, USA, France)
First England player to score at three World Cups
First British footballer to play 100 Champions League games
Has the joint-second most goal assists in European Championship finals history
The 400th Paris saint-German player
Has been England’s best regular World Cup player since England last won it in 1966 – having created the most chances.
Third in the Premier League's all time time assist provider chart, with 152 assists in 265 appearances

Oct 25, 2003
Premier League Player of the Month (1): August 1996
PFA Young Player of the Year (1): 1996–97
FWA Tribute Award: 2008
Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year (1): 1996–97
England Player of the Year: 2003
UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 1998–99
UEFA Club Midfielder of the Year (1): 1998–99
Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 to 2001–02):
Domestic & Overall Team of the Decade
Goal of the Decade (vs. Wimbledon, 17 August 1996)
BBC Sports Personality of the Year (1): 2001
UEFA Team of the Year#Team of the Year: 2001,2003
Real Madrid Player of the Year (1): 2005–2006
PFA Team of the Year (4): 1996–97,1997–98,1998–99,1999–2000
FIFA 100[200]
ESPY Award – Best Male Soccer Player: 2004[201]
ESPY Award – Best MLS Player: 2008[201]
English Football Hall of Fame: 2008
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award (1): 2010[202]
MLS Comeback Player of the Year Award (1): 2011[203]
Major League Soccer Best XI: 2011
ESPY Award: Best MLS Player 2011