Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do you want to win the Championship playoffs?

Who do you want to win the Championship playoffs?

• Luton

Votes: 198 42.1%
  • Coventry

Votes: 221 47.0%
  • Middlesbrough

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Sunderland

Votes: 40 8.5%

• Total voters

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Luton or Coventry. Both could use the money and it’s something different.
I went Luton, but would be happy with Coventry too, that said, on watching the first leg, Boro looked hugely superior, was really impressed with their slick passing game. Coventry were mainly hoof it over the top for Gykores to run onto.

Cant see Coventry beating Boro at the Riverside, but lets see

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Radio yesterday were saying if Luton do get promoted, then their ground is currently not upto standard.

I know they have 14 weeks. Still a lot of work to be done! Could you imagine if they weren’t allowed up.
They'd have to groundshare with Watford or anywhere relatively near. I think that is the only viable option.

The away end is like Fratton Park, but even worse. The seats are so cramped that it was impossible to sit. The stewards know it's pointless trying to get everyone to sit down but the police were a bit of pain in the àrse. I don't think they've ever really recovered from Millwall in 1985.

Things might have changed since I went there seven years ago but reading fans views, it appears not. The toilet and urinals were truly disgusting - at least it puts a stop to cocaine use though in the ground!

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Geordie in peace here,

Why the enmity with Middlesbrough?
It’ll most likely stem from the 2015/16 season and the whole Stephens/Ramirez/Mike Dean situation. It wasn’t just missing out on the automatic promotion that hurt, but the weight that red card would have on our playoff chances and losing who was arguably our most important player at that point. It was naturally going to turn ugly based on the stakes.

Its in the past now but to be honest I think if there is a bigger reason for not wanting Boro is simply because its another long trip north.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I went Luton, but would be happy with Coventry too, that said, on watching the first leg, Boro looked hugely superior, was really impressed with their slick passing game. Coventry were mainly hoof it over the top for Gykores to run onto.

Cant see Coventry beating Boro at the Riverside, but lets see
Exactly the same feeling here. Cov are going to have to play well to get through. They needed an advantage from the first leg really.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
It’ll most likely stem from the 2015/16 season and the whole Stephens/Ramirez/Mike Dean situation. It wasn’t just missing out on the automatic promotion that hurt, but the weight that red card would have on our playoff chances and losing who was arguably our most important player at that point. It was naturally going to turn ugly based on the stakes.

Its in the past now but to be honest I think if there is a bigger reason for not wanting Boro is simply because its another long trip north.
Soft red card?

I don't have any real feeling towards Boro, they're like Hull or Darlington to us. Boro try to hype up the 'Tyne-Tees' derby but we really don't care. Our geographical rivals are Sunderland, but we've not played them in so long, even that's dwindling. Plus obviously our change in fortunes will impact that.

In terms of a long trip to an underwhelming place, I get it. I'd rather Boro got promoted because it's a short 1hr drive, but Luton or Coventry... long way to go for a pretty unimpressive place. Kenilworth Rd might be a laugh, but there's no chance of getting an away ticket there. Could they ground share with MK Dons/Watford?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Just to balance the books marginally they were very appreciative of our football when we hammered them 5 - 1 in the cup and Carrick(who was a really good player) has them playing good football.
Coventry would still be my first choice though

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
That proposed new ground looks lovely. 😘
I was unaware of just how shit "unique" their current ground is when I looked into this a little yesterday. But I kinda think their proposed ground is just a bit...unimaginative. I'm sure it can only be an improvement, but I don't think the designers exactly outdid themselves there.

I think the problem for Luton may be that promotion will come too soon. As far as I can tell they haven't even broken ground on a new stadium yet and considering the Amex took, what, ~three years to build, Luton could easily be up and back down again before that stadium is anywhere near ready.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was unaware of just how shit "unique" their current ground is when I looked into this a little yesterday. But I kinda think their proposed ground is just a bit...unimaginative. I'm sure it can only be an improvement, but I don't think the designers exactly outdid themselves there.

I think the problem for Luton may be that promotion will come too soon. As far as I can tell they haven't even broken ground on a new stadium yet and considering the Amex took, what, ~three years to build, Luton could easily be up and back down again before that stadium is anywhere near ready.
And they're estimating it'd take £10m to get Kenilworth Road barely up to scratch for next season if they made it to the PL, including building a whole new stand, inside less than 3 months. All that for 3-4 years while their new stadium is built (which is an estimated £100m).

I don't see where all this money is suddenly going to come from, and the timescales for KR improvements sounds totally unviable to me. I reckon the likeliest outcome if they get promoted will be a groundshare with MK Dongs. No way will they go to Watford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here