Whispers that Woodgate and Ambrose are on the verge of signing!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I didn't start watching The Albion until 1982. Maybe that's why I don't consider them rivals at all.

Surely, a big part of being a fan (of ANY club, let alone ours), is having an appreciation of the history of the club and an awareness of the various milestones in that history. Just because you didn't watch before 1982 doesn't mean you should not embrace the various events that have shaped our history.

The rivalry with Palace is a MASSIVE part of the fabric of this club and despite the lack of actual matches between us in recent years, the passion in that rivalry shouldn't be under-estimated.

The fact that we are going into this season with a chance of competing at this level just gives the games extra spice.

I can't f***ing wait.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Right, this will be my last post on here till September 27th, i promise! I will be however be back after the game, (win, lose or draw)

Just want to get a final few things of my chest. The reason i came on here in the first place is because i read a lot of deluded and arrogant bollox from a fair amount of poster's and i wanted to bring a few down to earth. Yes, you won the league last year at a canter but please note this, the Championship is a bitch of a league and you will find it fairly tough looking at your present squad (same applies to us) The arrogance quite honestly is amazing, you are like the Chelsea of The Championship. To think that CMS turned down West Ham for you because you are a bigger club or have a better future is rubbish, he went for the money (just like Murray) end of. Lets also see how Gus does when you lose a few games instead of win week after week...

There's also way to much crap going about Palace on here, we do have money to spend as i have proved but most of you seem to ignore that and slag our player's off. Maybe i'm being a hypocrite when i say that you would love players such as Speroni, Clyne, Zaha and Ambrose in your line-up but i truely believe that is the case. Freedman has said that it will take huge offers to take them away from us so i think were be keeping hold of them. Ambrose will not join you so move on. I still stand by my comments, ask any neutral who's squad they would rather have at time of writing and i think most would pick ours. We have more experiance at this level and players that are proven, your squad is made up of League One players.

I'm also sick of hearing that we've been at the bottom of the league for 2 years in a row and that were relegation fodder. In 09/10 we were down there becuase we were deducted 10 points for admin, before this we were pushing for the play-offs, but you seem to ignore that. Last year, we had a combination of things that went wrong. New inexperianced owners, a manager in Burley who was totally wrong forthe club after an administration (he wanted to play attractive gung-hoe football when we needed a season of stablization). Add to this long term injuries to our 2 best outfieild players in Danns and Ambrose and we were alwways going to struggle. Have a bit of resepct for the job that Freedman did, we were 23rd when he came in and we ended up staying up by 6 points. I've never once said he is better than Poyet but i also don't see why i should acknowledge that Poyet is the better manager, only this season when both are on a level playing field can a fair comparison be made. As i posted earlier, i think were both finish between 14th-19th.

Well done on the new stadium, i'm pleased for you, the Withdean must have been hell. You were a class act last year aswell. But please don't try to make out you are now light years ahead of us. We have a new stadium in the pipeline, an amazing academy and in CPFC2010 owners who care about the club and will run us within our means for once. But we still can be competitive. Your 18,500 season tickets is an excellent acheivement but it has coniceded with the promotion and the football that Gus has got you playing. I would expect your attendences to level out to about 15,000 in a year or so. You have to admit quite a few new fans have jumped on the bandwagon...

The CMS/Murray debate, we could go on and on all week about it. Again, we won't know who has got the better deal until next season but i stand by my view, considering we got Glenn on a free and you spent £3 million CMS, i think we got better value considering there was only a difference of 5 league goals this year.

That's enough from me, i've taken a lot of abuse on this forum and it's all got a bit "my dad is bigger than your dad", rather petty. I'm sure if i meet most of you one on one for a pint and a chat over the game that we all love you would be decent people and you would think the same about me. If there's grammar mistake's on this post then i apologise but i can't be arsed to check and amend little details for the sake of being anal and pleasing others (there's a joke in there somewhere)

Anyway, best of luck next season and see you at The Amex/Selhurst.

Crystal Palace = 6 easy points, so say Millwall, Forest, Leicester, SCC, West Ham (I could go on but you get the drift), you're going down no matter how many cast offs you sign (not that many will of course).

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Right, this will be my last post on here till September 27th, i promise! I will be however be back after the game, (win, lose or draw)

Just want to get a final few things of my chest. The reason i came on here in the first place is because i read a lot of deluded and arrogant bollox from a fair amount of poster's and i wanted to bring a few down to earth. Yes, you won the league last year at a canter but please note this, the Championship is a bitch of a league and you will find it fairly tough looking at your present squad (same applies to us) The arrogance quite honestly is amazing, you are like the Chelsea of The Championship. To think that CMS turned down West Ham for you because you are a bigger club or have a better future is rubbish, he went for the money (just like Murray) end of. Lets also see how Gus does when you lose a few games instead of win week after week...

There's also way to much crap going about Palace on here, we do have money to spend as i have proved but most of you seem to ignore that and slag our player's off. Maybe i'm being a hypocrite when i say that you would love players such as Speroni, Clyne, Zaha and Ambrose in your line-up but i truely believe that is the case. Freedman has said that it will take huge offers to take them away from us so i think were be keeping hold of them. Ambrose will not join you so move on. I still stand by my comments, ask any neutral who's squad they would rather have at time of writing and i think most would pick ours. We have more experiance at this level and players that are proven, your squad is made up of League One players.

I'm also sick of hearing that we've been at the bottom of the league for 2 years in a row and that were relegation fodder. In 09/10 we were down there becuase we were deducted 10 points for admin, before this we were pushing for the play-offs, but you seem to ignore that. Last year, we had a combination of things that went wrong. New inexperianced owners, a manager in Burley who was totally wrong forthe club after an administration (he wanted to play attractive gung-hoe football when we needed a season of stablization). Add to this long term injuries to our 2 best outfieild players in Danns and Ambrose and we were alwways going to struggle. Have a bit of resepct for the job that Freedman did, we were 23rd when he came in and we ended up staying up by 6 points. I've never once said he is better than Poyet but i also don't see why i should acknowledge that Poyet is the better manager, only this season when both are on a level playing field can a fair comparison be made. As i posted earlier, i think were both finish between 14th-19th.

Well done on the new stadium, i'm pleased for you, the Withdean must have been hell. You were a class act last year aswell. But please don't try to make out you are now light years ahead of us. We have a new stadium in the pipeline, an amazing academy and in CPFC2010 owners who care about the club and will run us within our means for once. But we still can be competitive. Your 18,500 season tickets is an excellent acheivement but it has coniceded with the promotion and the football that Gus has got you playing. I would expect your attendences to level out to about 15,000 in a year or so. You have to admit quite a few new fans have jumped on the bandwagon...

The CMS/Murray debate, we could go on and on all week about it. Again, we won't know who has got the better deal until next season but i stand by my view, considering we got Glenn on a free and you spent £3 million CMS, i think we got better value considering there was only a difference of 5 league goals this year.

That's enough from me, i've taken a lot of abuse on this forum and it's all got a bit "my dad is bigger than your dad", rather petty. I'm sure if i meet most of you one on one for a pint and a chat over the game that we all love you would be decent people and you would think the same about me. If there's grammar mistake's on this post then i apologise but i can't be arsed to check and amend little details for the sake of being anal and pleasing others (there's a joke in there somewhere)

Anyway, best of luck next season and see you at The Amex/Selhurst.

Biggest load of GASH I have ever read (worse even than my offerings). :tosser:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surely, a big part of being a fan (of ANY club, let alone ours), is having an appreciation of the history of the club and an awareness of the various milestones in that history. Just because you didn't watch before 1982 doesn't mean you should not embrace the various events that have shaped our history.

The rivalry with Palace is a MASSIVE part of the fabric of this club and despite the lack of actual matches between us in recent years, the passion in that rivalry shouldn't be under-estimated.

The fact that we are going into this season with a chance of competing at this level just gives the games extra spice.

I can't f***ing wait.

It'll take no more than a couple of games for all the doubting Thomas' and young fans who don't get it to get it and embrace it totally :thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I can't f***ing wait.

My feelings exactly. And when was that five-penalty game, 1989? That's seven years after 1982, during which time we were still playing regularly. For anyone who started going in the 1990s I would totally understand the dwindling sense of rivalry, but in the 1980s it was still very much part of being a Brighton fan, including many songs from the North Stand. I simply can't understand how anyone could have attended home games in that decade without picking up on that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My feelings exactly. And when was that five-penalty game, 1989? That's seven years after 1982, during which time we were still playing regularly. For anyone who started going in the 1990s I would totally understand the dwindling sense of rivalry, but in the 1980s it was still very much part of being a Brighton fan, including many songs from the North Stand. I simply can't understand how anyone could have attended home games in that decade without picking up on that.
This is all very true. The 1980s were good times from a rivalry point of view - the first half of the decade we were definitely top dogs. We also had a good rivalry with the scum down the A27, as both teams battled for promotion to division one. And it was fairly two-sided too back then, especially as Pompey hadn't played Southampton in the league for absolutely yonks.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
It'll take no more than a couple of games for all the doubting Thomas' and young fans who don't get it to get it and embrace it totally :thumbsup:

Im not so sure, I must have seen at least 10 Brighton Vs Palace games and still don't consider them rivals. I think you had to be there right at the start when Mullery done his bit to really appreciate it. Personally I class Pompey & Orient as fiercer rivals than Palace.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me

I was in the North Stand for around 10 years at The Goldstone and sang all the anti-palace songs but for me they may have well have been about Chelsea or Darlington. Ive never experienced anything to make me want to hate them, I'm not one of these fans that hates a team just because they're meant to, I hate a team because I've had a bad experience involving them, i.e. the 4-4 draw with Orient and their players gestures, getting chased through pompey by loads of their lads, getting battered by the pompey OB for no reason etc.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I didn't start supporting the Albion properly until 1998, and I can safely say Palace in my eyes are by far and away our biggest rival, and i know my mates would say the same. I've read all about how it started up, the 5 penalty game and so on. I dislike Portsmouth and Southampton, but not to the extent I do Palace, I may be alone but Orient is just another game to me, no way would I deem them rivals.
Bring on Palace next season, I can't wait.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
i was in the north stand for around 10 years at the goldstone and sang all the anti-palace songs but for me they may have well have been about chelsea or darlington. Ive never experienced anything to make me want to hate them, i'm not one of these fans that hates a team just because they're meant to, i hate a team because i've had a bad experience involving them, i.e. The 4-4 draw with orient and their players gestures, getting chased through pompey by loads of their lads, getting battered by the pompey ob for no reason etc.

u what

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
For me our biggest rivals are Palace but its not that important. Just don't think Brighton have any need for Palace any more.

I hate Utd more than anyone else and I even still want them to win in Europe.

Waste of time worrying too much about other clubs when such a bright future ahead of ours.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Re the Albion vs Palace rivalry, the head-to-head history currently stands as follows:

Albion 36 wins
Palace 34 wins
22 draws.

Therefore, in terms of results, it's Palace who are behind us.

GREAT STATS. will be using those again and again this season

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What bit don't you understand?

I think a lot of people won't understand your views at all, but that's cool, each to their own and all that. If you're putting them up here, you must be ready for people to totally disagree with them.

You'll be in the minority on September 27, put it that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports