Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Which one was the worst.. Love thy neighbour or On the buses

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Well, to be honest I'm not expecting many people to vote on these two piles of utter shite as most of the viewers of both these 'shows' (aired in the early 70's) are no longer with us

Mum and Dad would never have them on the tele, and even at the tender age of 12, I realised just how bad and unfunny they were. People talk about 'from another age' which these two shows certainly were. For anyone under 60 they are available on you tube, it's a tough, cringeworthy watch.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well, to be honest I'm not expecting many people to vote on these two piles of utter shite as most of the viewers of both these 'shows' (aired in the early 70's) are no longer with us

Mum and Dad would never have them on the tele, and even at the tender age of 12, I realised just how bad and unfunny they were. People talk about 'from another age' which these two shows certainly were. For anyone under 60 they are available on you tube, it's a tough, cringeworthy watch.. but I'm glad to see the average IQ in the UK has shot up since the 70's when people found these shows actually funny.
That's an bizarre opening paragraph implying tv viewers from the early 70's are mostly dead.

That aside, never watched Love Thy Neighbour. I imagine On The Buses picked up it's viewers from fans of the highly popular Reg Varney who starred in The Rag Trade in the 60's, so it's popularity needs to be viewed in that context. . Pretty dire looking back and the premise of Varney chasing and getting 'the birds' was ridiculous. Looking at it through 2023 eyes doesn't work as it was so of it's time. Yet Blakey was a character who was deep in the comedy consciousness at the time and oft quoted by people trying to raise a laugh in pubs and offices and probably factories ( I never worked in one) across the land.

Last edited:

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I remember watching both as a child and knowing then that they were total crap. Age has not improved them either.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I remember one particular On The Buses, where Stan made some home brew, drank some at lunch time, turned up for work pissed then devised a plan with Jack that they could use it to get the clippies legless and basically shag them.

A hilarious episode

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
When it came to reinforcing '70s foreign stereotypes to an island nation, Mind Your Language was Juan of a kind.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Oh blimey, they were of their time. They are a very easy target for those of a certain age, who are inclined to want to air their ‘today’s liberal attitudes’ and so have an indirect pop at those ‘ mostly dead people who watched telly in the early ‘70’s.’
Oh what an ignorant lot our ancestors were, look at the crap they watched! 🙄

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here